Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Re: SA Golf Course Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Im teeing it up again at Blackwood tomorrow :D

Yes, I was thinking I might head up there for a hit tomorrow, take advantage of the god offer :D

well what time you heading there, if both of you play in front of me i can have some target practice ;) ;)

do you need to ring up for a booking????
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Keefy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:45 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Yes, I was thinking I might head up there for a hit tomorrow, take advantage of the god offer :D

well what time you heading there, if both of you play in front of me i can have some target practice ;) ;)

Would be advisable to ring up and book.
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

definately need to book, they said the other day they have had so many take them up on the offer the members are getting pissed!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Keefy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Had a hit down at McCracken today. Typical breezey day at Victor which made shot selection difficult at times. Went round in 85 off the White Markers which at times were almost as far back as the Blue Markers.

Take plenty of balls with you as there is a reasonable amount of water (14 lakes) around the course, which comes into play quite often and 74 bunkers, which some i thought were an absolute disgrace. Of the ones that i was unfortunate to end up in, only one of them had something that resembled sand and made it easy to get out of, the others were really rough and the sand was like concrete.

The fairways were well grassed, apart from a few patches where they were a bit dry and even the rough, albeit fairly light in places was well grassed and the ball sat up nicely. Most of the greens were nicely rolled, but wish people would fix their plug marks, nothing like trying to put through and around them at times, or having to fix them yourself.

If you have an Entertainment Book, make sure you take the voucher with you to get a complimentary round of golf when paying for your round, so 2 people get in for the price of 1. I forgot to take mine with me and had to pay $35, which turned into almost $60 when paying half of the cart hire too.
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby auto » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 pm

browny2323 wrote:Best Par 3 course?

I think the par 3 in Salisbury (Little River?) is possibly the best.

Defintely like the Salisbury Green par 3. Ive heard good things about cuddlee creek and might try kenton valley while im out that way. Just one thing though, Salisbury Green should be 18 holes, theres enough bloody room. Also whats happened to the other salisbury par 3, the country one?
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Keefy wrote:Had a hit down at McCracken today. Typical breezey day at Victor which made shot selection difficult at times. Went round in 85 off the White Markers which at times were almost as far back as the Blue Markers.

Take plenty of balls with you as there is a reasonable amount of water (14 lakes) around the course, which comes into play quite often and 74 bunkers, which some i thought were an absolute disgrace. Of the ones that i was unfortunate to end up in, only one of them had something that resembled sand and made it easy to get out of, the others were really rough and the sand was like concrete.

The fairways were well grassed, apart from a few patches where they were a bit dry and even the rough, albeit fairly light in places was well grassed and the ball sat up nicely. Most of the greens were nicely rolled, but wish people would fix their plug marks, nothing like trying to put through and around them at times, or having to fix them yourself.

If you have an Entertainment Book, make sure you take the voucher with you to get a complimentary round of golf when paying for your round, so 2 people get in for the price of 1. I forgot to take mine with me and had to pay $35, which turned into almost $60 when paying half of the cart hire too.

I was a member at McCracken when it started, used to be superb in the early days.....a hint for those playing there, go down the 10th fairway on the first hole, Ive done this for years...gives you a nice big landing spot for your first drive of the day and then lob your second just before the 9th green, then a nice little chip over the water onto the green, if you go down the actual fairway of the first you have bunkers, shrubs and water on the left and your third has water on the right hand side coming in, no good if the wind is off the sea and/or you slice/fade your ball
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby topsywaldron » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Blackwood's a great course unless it's wet then it can get a bit boggy.

Anyone played at Meningie? Had a round there once without knowing anything about it and was blown away by how good it was.

Royal Adelaide doesn't go too badly either. Played there a few times before the Eisenhower Cup and there was too much work being done, three temporary greens, but now it's back to it's normal self. It's a prick to play.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:50 pm

I'm suprised Links Lady Bay hasn't been mentioned.
Fantastic course.
Quality facilities around it.
Some good land around the place there too if you wanted to build on a course.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:41 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I'm suprised Links Lady Bay hasn't been mentioned.
Fantastic course.
Quality facilities around it.
Some good land around the place there too if you wanted to build on a course.

agree, probably my favourite, I havent been there for a few months though, probably played there 5 times last year....if you ever have a day off during the week head down there, green fees are cheap and hardly anyone on the course and its rated in the Top 50 in oz!

just got back from Blackwood, played worse today than Monday but shot 4 shots better, work that out!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby blackcat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Links Lady Bay is a beauty. Also Kenton Valley is a nice par 3, only the 9 holes though but the tee shots on the back 9 are from different spots. Cudlee Creek is normally good but i prefer Kenton Valley, that's where my footy club plays our golf days. They look after you pretty well too. They even let us put our own eski's around the course
blackcat
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:21 pm

went upto Belair

not many people there when i started but then I soon caught up with the large groups and it was peak hour traffic coming home on the last 6 holes~!!!!!!

havent played Lady Bay, heard that it can be unforgiving, but ill have to see for myself!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby hazza11 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:58 am

Have started having a bit more off a hit lately, am a big fan of Mt.Lofty, in November played their about 3 times and the course was in great nick and a bit of a better layout than what it use to be when I was a member about 8yrs ago!
As the 10th use to be the 17th etc, couple of minor changes.

Just before xmas played at Mt.Pleasant and that is only $15 during the week I believe.
Long course and wasn't in bad nick either, greens could of been better, fairly long course too.

Blackwood has always been a favourite of mine, lots of doglegs.
Does anyone know if Matthew Dent is the pro there now? Good bloke if so.

As for Par 3, Cuddlee Creek is my fav, played there many times with very few on course.
The greens there though are sometimes a bit of a hit or miss!
hazza11
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Ive played quite a few courses and whilst it is a fair drive I reckon Renmark is the best I have played on. Nice wide fairways,good challenging par 3's and some really long par 4's. Im sure anyone who has had the pleasure of playing there would agree. Also green fees include a day pass, so you can play as many rounds as you like..... make a weekend of it, great part of the world.....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:41 pm

i think it was Flagstaff Hill

played it a few years ago now

had a par 3 over the weir, actually liked that hole, almost put it away from up top!!!!!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Played at Sandy Creek this arvo. Course is in top nick. $35 will get you around which is good value considering the quality of the course. You know its a good course when you spend all day in the rough like me and didn't get 1 bad lie :D .
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:i think it was Flagstaff Hill

played it a few years ago now

had a par 3 over the weir, actually liked that hole, almost put it away from up top!!!!!

Yep a great hole, one of SA's great Par 3's, its a good 140m water carry, some pics below

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Browny25 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 am

I had a birdie on that Par 3 last time I played at Flagstaff!

Awesome hole!
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 pm

browny2323 wrote:Best Par 3 course?

I think the par 3 in Salisbury (Little River?) is possibly the best.

Valley View for mine, you can stuff up your tee off and still recover.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Ash Man » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:58 am

topsywaldron wrote:Blackwood's a great course unless it's wet then it can get a bit boggy.

Anyone played at Meningie? Had a round there once without knowing anything about it and was blown away by how good it was.

Royal Adelaide doesn't go too badly either. Played there a few times before the Eisenhower Cup and there was too much work being done, three temporary greens, but now it's back to it's normal self. It's a prick to play.

Is that the Lake Albert?
Used to go there every Easter for their 3 day tournament
Great course and good tourny
Played night golf there too
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Browny25 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm playing at Blackwood this weekend after everyones advice!

Will give my report on Monday!
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf