Seve Ballesteros passes away

Seve Ballesteros passes away

Postby bayman » Sat May 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Brain tumour and death

At Madrid airport on 6 October 2008 Ballesteros lost consciousness and was admitted to hospital.[26][27] Six days later, he confirmed that he had been diagnosed with a brain tumour.[28] On 15 October, Spanish news agency Efe reported that he had undergone a twelve hour surgery to resect the tumour, the first of four operations he would have. A hospital spokeswoman stated that surgeons had removed a sizable part of the tumour.[29] On 23 October, it was confirmed publicly that the tumour was classified as a cancerous oligoastrocytoma, and after a rapid deterioration of his health, further surgery took place on 24 October to stabilize him and try to remove the remainder of the tumour.[30][31] On 24 October, it was confirmed that the tumour was removed after a six and a half hour surgery. On 3 November, it was confirmed by the hospital that he was starting his rehabilitation in the intensive care unit, and was breathing steadily. On 18 November, he was moved out of the intensive care unit and changed wards at Madrid's La Paz Hospital to continue his rehabilitation.[32]

Ballesteros was discharged from hospital on 9 December. He returned home to northern Spain and underwent chemotherapy treatment as an outpatient.[33] In January 2009 a message on his website said he had responded well to one course of chemotherapy.[34]

"I am very motivated and working hard although I am aware that my recovery will be slow and therefore I need to be patient and have a lot of determination. For these reasons I am following strictly all the instructions that the doctors are giving me. Besides, the physiotherapists are doing a great job on me and I feel better every day."

Ballesteros completed a second course of chemotherapy at Madrid's La Paz Hospital in February 2009. Speaking through his website he said, "The results of the check-up were really positive, better even than the first ones." He finished a third round of treatment in March 2009.[35] and completed his fourth and final course of chemotherapy a month later.

In June, Ballesteros made his first public appearance after treatment for a brain tumour. He said it was a "miracle" to be alive and he thanked everyone who had been involved in his care and welfare.[36]

At his first public appearance, Ballesteros announced the launch of the 'Seve Ballesteros Foundation'. This foundation was set up to help those with cancer fight it. The foundation aims to research cancer, especially brain tumours, but it will also help financially challenged young golfers, so they can be as successful as him.

On 6 May 2011, his family released a press release announcing that Ballesteros's neurological condition had "suffered a severe deterioration".[37] He died within hours of the announcement in the early hours of 7 May 2011.[38]

RIP SEVE, was an entertaining golfer
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Re: Seve Ballesteros passes away

Postby crackers » Sun May 08, 2011 12:41 am

RIP Seve
crackers
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Re: Seve Ballesteros passes away

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Was a real swashbuckling player in his prime but my memories of him aren't great as his game started to go south in his early 30's which is normally a time most are entering their prime.

Did remember he made an early impression in the USPGA championship back in '91 - the tournament that put John Daly on the map - and it appeared his game was on the mend but alas it wasn't to be.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf