Golf in general

Re: Golf in general

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:55 am

MatteeG wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:the pat can go and get ******.

Spent $30 on a round and got some drinks.

Told me north course had thinned out and not so busy.

So i go there and there are 13 players in line!

What a waste of cash, but will never play there again

North course with anyone on it is pretty slow going as usually the 'once a year' golfers are playing there (or blokes' wives and kids are having a hit). My rule of thumb at the pat (if you dont have a booking) is if the carpark is over half full, keep on driving.

Absolutely agree - I'd avoid the north course at all costs unless playing with others that rarely play golf.

As part of my bucks party day we played on the north course mainly because we had a few guys that have only previously played golf once or twice in their life. If we had a more experienced group we would have played elsewhere.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Have now reached a good amateur level of golf after yesterday's club round at West Lakes. Next time I play I'm only allowed 1 stroke per hole for the handicap.

Only crap thing is I still left shots out there with 2 lost balls and an awful drive all in consecutive holes. Got my shit together to par the next 3 holes and bag 2 points on the last after my drive ended up in the deep fairway bunker...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby toot toot » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 am

Shot a personal best of 77 yesterday at Mt Barker, net 62 and got beaten by a net 61. Handicap is down to 14 though which I'm stoked about. Hopefully I'll be able to play to it.
toot toot
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:10 am

toot toot wrote:Shot a personal best of 77 yesterday at Mt Barker, net 62 and got beaten by a net 61. Handicap is down to 14 though which I'm stoked about. Hopefully I'll be able to play to it.

Well done. I can only dream about 14 but will continue to work at my short game in the hope I can improve.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 am

has anyone ever played golf in bali?
I booked flights for june long weekend yesterday and am thinking of playing one day there.
There are a few courses not to far from kuta so tossing up which one.
The Nirwana course designed by Greg Norman looks the best and is rated in top few courses of Asia. Just not sure if the $230 US price tag is to steep. Reckon I will either play this course or the Bali Country and Golf club.
Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby stun72 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 am

Iron Fist wrote:has anyone ever played golf in bali?
I booked flights for june long weekend yesterday and am thinking of playing one day there.
The Nirwana course designed by Greg Norman looks the best and is rated in top few courses of Asia. Just not sure if the $230 US price tag is to steep. Reckon I will either play this course or the Bali Country and Golf club.
Cheers

Iron Fist
I played golf in Bali in 2010.
See attached link.
We played in the Raffles Competition - ex-pat Aussies who run a comp on Wed and Fridays from memory. Bloody good day. Have caddies etc. can hire clubs etc.
http://newkutagolf.com/
We got a driver to take us down there - he sat in the car all day while we played golf and then drank in the clubrooms, on the way back to Seminyak he pulled up at a Supermarket we bought 2 longnecks of Bintang for the trip home - no problems great day.
Here is the link to Raffles Golf - http://rafflesgolfbali.com/
stun72
Under 16s

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Iron Fist » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 pm

stun72 wrote:
Cheers

Iron Fist
I played golf in Bali in 2010.
See attached link.
We played in the Raffles Competition - ex-pat Aussies who run a comp on Wed and Fridays from memory. Bloody good day. Have caddies etc. can hire clubs etc.
http://newkutagolf.com/
We got a driver to take us down there - he sat in the car all day while we played golf and then drank in the clubrooms, on the way back to Seminyak he pulled up at a Supermarket we bought 2 longnecks of Bintang for the trip home - no problems great day.
Here is the link to Raffles Golf - http://rafflesgolfbali.com/

I looked at that raffles thing, its $100 to join then you get cheaper green fees.
The fees to play at Nirwana are still 800,000rp so really its $180 and i still need to hire clubs. Only thing that could be worth it is the fact u get a shirt when u become a member.
not till june anyway so have plenty of time to decide what to do.
Cheers for the reply
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 am

my game

my driver - if i go in with a nice soft controlled swing, BANG down the middle everytime!!!!

then if i try to put a bit more ooomph into it, then i lose all the control :(

i would like to increase a tad more distance off the tee but I am happy that I can hit it down the middle most of the time
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby Reverse Torp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 pm

How's everyone hitting them??
I just got my handicap 3 weeks ago
Started on 20 but have improved it to 15 after having 2 good rounds of 85 and then last week played very average but managed an 89.
Really enjoying playing golf again and looking forward to getting to a few club open days.
Also real keen on playing country golf week late in the year. Good chance to play some nice courses for a fraction of the cost.
Our local club and region are bringing back pennants which will be fun if get picked. Love the competitiveness
Poor mans Ryder Cup

Good golfing

RT
Reverse Torp
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Tailem Bend

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 am

Reverse Torp wrote:How's everyone hitting them??
Started on 20 but have improved it to 15 after having 2 good rounds of 85 and then last week played very average but managed an 89.
Really enjoying playing golf again and looking forward to getting to a few club open days.
Also real keen on playing country golf week late in the year. Good chance to play some nice courses for a fraction of the cost.
Our local club and region are bringing back pennants which will be fun if get picked. Love the competitiveness
Poor mans Ryder Cup

Good golfing

RT

after my stellar round few weeks back Ive just been playing OK. Handicap has dropped from 22 to 19.
Had 32 on sunday but my putting has just gone out the window.
Have another lesson this week so hopefully he can give me some more tips to improve my game!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

Iron Fist wrote:
Poor mans Ryder Cup

Good golfing

RT

after my stellar round few weeks back Ive just been playing OK. Handicap has dropped from 22 to 19.
Have another lesson this week so hopefully he can give me some more tips to improve my game!

Where do you get your coaching and how much does it cost? I heard Shane Robertson (Robinson?) at Glenelg GC is supposed to be good. I need help!
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:59 am

Sky Pilot wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:
Poor mans Ryder Cup

Good golfing

RT

Where do you get your coaching and how much does it cost? I heard Shane Robertson (Robinson?) at Glenelg GC is supposed to be good. I need help!

Ive only had one lesson so far with second this week. Im getting coaching from Jamie Clutterham, he works at West lakes coaching and in pro shop, is the state junior coach and was a coach of the aussies last year. So far he seems good, hasnt over complicated it and it keen to only make one or 2 small changes at a time, allowing me to improve without ruining my game completely.
He also works out of the riverland - he has a program he runs out of renmark I believe.
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 am

Jamie used to run the Renmark pro shop.

Now the teaching Pro at West Lakes. Plus is state commitments.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 am

heater31 wrote:Jamie used to run the Renmark pro shop.

Okay, I'm in.
So how much is a 30-min or one hour session?
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
heater31 wrote:Jamie used to run the Renmark pro shop.

Okay, I'm in.
So how much is a 30-min or one hour session?

its $45 for half an hour and $90 for an hour.
Best thing is he wont waste ya time and money
the first thing he said was we will only use the time we need EG: i booked a hour lesson, we only did half hour so I have another half hour lesson that i already payed for.
I was really impressed by that!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:55 pm

That sounds good. I will go for it sap.
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby MatteeG » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Poor mans Ryder Cup

Good golfing

RT

Played in the Group 4 Ambrose comp down at Lake Albert on the weekend- and we won the bloody thing! 8 under off the stick including 6 birdies in a row. Never had an Ambose game come together like that before. No Bogies! Personally was very inconsistent, but snagged a couple of decent putts and a few nice approaches. I put it down to our preparation, we got down there the arvo before and had a decent session on the punt and drink at the local until stumps. Had plenty of carbs in reserve the next morning...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Ogilthorpe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Cheers

Played with the Raffles group when in Bali last August. Had a great day and was a lot cheaper than Nirwana which we played our previous visit. They dont expect you to join unless you intend playing with them more than twice. Just have to pay the visitor rate IDR1 000 000 ($100) and approx $40 for hire clubs.

Caddies are included in the price at both New Kuta and Nirwana and they really know their stuff. At least IDR100 000 ($10) tip is expected at end of round. Try to pay on the sly so your caddie gets to keep the lot. Didnt get a bum read on the greens all day. Just a word of warning about the hire clubs. Make sure you check the shafts before you tee off. Standard shafts in Asia are what you would see the "older" players use here. Unless your swing speed is measured with a sun dial you will more than likely find them way too whippy.

And visit the sports store in the Discovery Mall to buy balls etc beforehand, much cheaper than the pro shop at either course. Got a dozen Pro V1 for $40. The only thing I took of my own was golf shoes.
Ogilthorpe
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 am

Hit off at Port Augusta in an hour. Nice and cool up here so should be great. The plan is to try and break 100. I know I can do it....
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Moe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:12 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:the pat can go and get ******.

Spent $30 on a round and got some drinks.

Told me north course had thinned out and not so busy.

So i go there and there are 13 players in line!

What a waste of cash, but will never play there again

If you paid $30 to play the North course, then you were charged for the South course. North course is only $23.50 MAX.
Secondly, it looks like you played smack bang in the middle of the festive period which is the busiest time of the year. Even if you play the south course at that time of year, expect delays even if you have booked. It is a popular public course opposite the second biggest caravan park/village in Australia.
The problem is the pro shop just keep sending people down to the small course without thinking. I had a group of 38 play 2 weeks ago, and other people kept coming down. We told them that they would have to wait, but some jumped to the 6th, which did them no good, as half my group had already reached there. Makes for some good arguments with old blokes though :lol:
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf