US Masters 2018

Re: US Masters 2018

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:21 pm

MASTERS champion Patrick Reed wasn’t a fan favourite, and likely never will be.
The reputation of Reed, among much of the golf community, was that of a person whose prodigious ability was overshadowed by some less-than-tactful comments and actions.

A stunning win at the 2018 Masters may be what Reed needed to turn the perception of him around — and there’s a good chance that can happen — but there’s a reason why his win wasn’t quickly received with joy from some fans of the sport.

It’s because Reed is still haunted by his past.

On Sunday (AEST), the day before he won it all, Reed was asked why he thinks so many people were rooting against him.

“I don’t know. Why don’t you ask them?” Reed said.

“I mean, I have no idea, and honestly I don’t really care what people say on Twitter or what they say if they are cheering for me or not cheering for me. I’m out here to do my job, and that’s to play golf. I feel like if I’m doing it the right way, then that’s all that really matters.”

Reed claims he doesn’t know why he’s been viewed as such a divisive figure in the golf community, but the American has a long track record of controversial and offensive comments and actions.

COLLEGE ‘CHEATING

While Reed was initially a signee at the University of Georgia, he was dismissed from the team for allegedly cheating and stealing from his teammates.

In author Shane Ryan’s book, Slaying the Tiger: A Year Inside the Ropes on the New PGA Tour, he revealed details about Reed’s alleged actions, writing that the young golfer cheated by trying to hit a better position ball that wasn’t his, reporting incorrect scores, and potentially stealing upwards of $400 from a teammate.

Reed denied the allegations, saying he was dismissed because of alcohol-related violations, but a statement from Jason Payne, the assistant golf coach at Georgia, seemed to back up the claims.

“While getting to know Patrick through the recruiting process as a coach, a few character issues came to light, that we as coaches thought we could help Patrick with... There is no doubting the ability of Patrick as a golfer, it was Patrick as a person that we chose not to associate with. The story that has been reported by Shane Ryan is an accurate account of his college career at UGA—including the suspicions held by his former teammates.”

‘I AM A TOP-FIVE PLAYER IN THE WORLD’

That’s a bold statement. It’s even bolder when you’re just 23 years old, and haven’t played in a major.

Reed had won the Wyndham Championship in 2013, before taking the Humana Challenge and WGC-Cadillac Championship to open 2014. It was an impressive start to a budding career, but he maybe took it one step too far, declaring himself a top-five player in the world.

“I just don’t see a lot of guys that have done that, besides Tiger Woods, of course, and, you know, the other legends of the game,” Reed said after the WGC event.

“It’s just one of those things, I believe in myself and — especially with how hard I’ve worked — I’m one of the top-five players in the world. To come out in a field like this and to hold on wire to wire like that, I feel like I’ve proven myself.”

That overconfidence saw many cheer for any failure he would endure. Reed didn’t make the cut in five of the next eight tournaments, including the Masters and British Open.

Reed was never able to shake off the brash comment, nor was he able to live up to his own billing. Many hoped he’d fail.

THE HOMOPHOBIC SLUR AND OTHER CONTROVERSIAL COMMENTS

That sentiment increased after Reed uttered a homophobic slur to himself at the WGC-HSBC Champions in China.

After missing a putt, Reed was caught on camera saying to himself, in frustration, “Nice f***ing three-putt, you f***ing f***ot”

Reed apologised for the coments, and seemed sincere, but a reputation was began to build.

That reputation perhaps led to him not getting a free relief after he hit a shot into the bushes in early 2018. Reed addressed that on the day, saying to the gallery, “I guess my name needs to be Jordan Spieth, guys.”

An off-the-cuff comment, it was taken more seriously that it would’ve been if someone else had said it, because Reed and Spieth publicly didn’t get along. Reed and Spieth had been longtime Ryder Cup partners; a tournament where the new Masters champ had some eventful experiences.

THE RYDER CUP STORIES

Reed earned the nickname ‘Captain America’ for his antics at the Ryder Cup.

One famous moment came when Reed went up against Henrik Stenson, putting his finger to his lips to shush the crowd, as a means of celebration. Reed enjoyed it so much that he turned that image into a silhouette, which he placed on his belt buckle.

In 2015, an ESPN poll of 103 golfers revealed who would be the least likely golfer to be helped in a fight. Reed finished second in that poll.

This was seemingly backed up by a story Spieth told of his Ryder Cup partner, after Reed trash-talked vice-captain, Tiger Woods.

“Tiger goes, ‘Don’t worry, Patrick, you only need 74 more wins and 14 more majors.’ And then I go, ‘Patrick, you can’t talk sh** to him, because you can’t even talk sh*! to me. You need two more majors and four more wins to get to me!’” Spieth revealed to Golf Digest.

Spieth mentioned that Woods is generally soft-spoken, and not braggadocios about his achievements, but Reed made the golf legend say something out of character.

“You don’t really hear Tiger talk about everything he’s dropped,” Spieth said, “but he used it there, because he was just like: ‘Screw this guy. I’m using this right now. Who is this guy?’”

While Reed had the potential to be a loveable ‘bad boy’ of golf, all of his actions piled on one another made him a disliked figure in the sport for some time. The fact that his actions and comments hadn’t completely been backed up by his performance made it even tougher for him to be likeable by colleagues and fans alike.

That may all change with his Masters win. Maybe golf wasn’t ready for someone with the confidence of Reed, but his ability to finally back it up with a major gives his attitude some much-needed legs. He finally walked the walk.

“Honestly, I don’t ever regret anything I really say,” Reed said after his Masters win. “I stand by my comments; I feel I’ve played some golf I needed to play in order to get to where I want to be, and that’s to be the best golfer in the world.

“I’m just happy to (achieve) one of my biggest goals ... to win a major.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/the-m ... 7ef8ff18e4
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm

oh dear, the kid is ******* delusional

“Honestly, I don’t ever regret anything I really say,” Reed said after his Masters win. “I stand by my comments; I feel I’ve played some golf I needed to play in order to get to where I want to be, and that’s to be the best golfer in the world.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Yep what a knob!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Saw Rickie Fowler presser.....almost unrecognizable without the hat...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf