2012/13 NBL Season/Offseason news

Re: 2012/13 NBL Season/Offseason news

Postby Gozu » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:38 am

A couple of other pre-season games tonight with Sydney beating Wollongong 98-93. For the Kings Charles Carmouche & Brad Hill each scored 23 points and for the Hawks Rotnei Clarke scored 30 and Durrell Summers 26.

Also the NZ Breakers defeated touring Chinese team Dongguan who are coached by Brian Goorjian 114-93 in New Plymouth. Top scorers for the Breakers were Tom Abercrombie with 26 & Kerron Johnson had 18 and for the Leopards Donte Greene who was cut by the Boston Celtics a few weeks ago after being traded from the Memphis Grizzlies earlier in the offseason scored 41 points.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Gozu » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Very unfortunate news overnight with Melbourne Tigers import Stephen Dennis who looked set to star this season snapping his Achilles tendon and has been ruled out for the season. If that wasn't bad enough captain and veteran role player Tommy Greer has torn a pec muscle and will be out for 3 months, coupled with Chris Goulding injuring his ankle badly in an earlier pre-season game putting him out until November it looks like the Tigers season is over before it began.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Hondo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:33 pm

DT question for Gozu .... what do you see BJ's role and stats this season?

And Frye actually
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:04 am

BJ Anthony? He'll be the back-up PF but it's hard to say as previously he didn't do much in limited court time at the Breakers but despite not having big wraps for him I've been really impressed with his play in the pre-season games.

Giving us a lot more scoring & rebounding than I expected and has proven to be a very efficient hustle guy for us, which is something we really needed. His FT shooting has been poor but in saying that he's been getting to the line a lot which is a plus. His role is probably greater now than what it will be when Schenscher comes back as I would think Joey Wright might split the PF/C rotation between DJ/Petrie/Schenscher. Personally I'd be happy with say 5ppg & 4rpg from BJ this season but if Big Luke isn't right or someone else goes down I'd now expect more than that from him.

Jarrid Frye, Hard to say really as of the 36ers games I watched on the stream from the Blitz I didn't see a great deal of him. I think the plan was for him to start at SF with Creek as his back-up but at least in the parts I saw Creek spent more time on court than Frye but what I did see of Frye I liked. A couple of nice dunks in transition and I remember one great block chasing a guy down at the other end, athleticism certainly isn't a concern but I didn't see a great deal of an offensive game from him and a bit like BJ when he did get sent to the FT line he struggled a bit. Given all our offensive weapons I'd take 10ppg a from him but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't average that especially if Creek continues to regain his confidence.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:00 am

The NZ Breakers played Dongguan again tonight in Game 2 of their three game series, getting over the line 82-81. For the Breakers Daryl Corletto had 17, Kerron Johnson 13 and Alex Pledger had 10 points & 15 boards and for the Leopards Donte Greene again went off to the tune of 37 points on 14/26 shooting.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:49 pm

The Perth Wildcats have announced the signing of Jarrad Prue a 6'6" forward from the WA state league as a temporary replacement for the injured Matt Knight.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:03 am

Not a great pre-season win for the 36ers tonight in Millicent against a very depleted Melbourne Tigers team, 88-84. Top scorers for the 36ers were Daniel Johnson with 17 and BJ Anthony with 13 and for the Tigers import Scott Morrison had 26 points & 16 boards and Nate Tomlinson 14.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Bit of a shock the Wollongong Hawks have released import Durrell Summers over a contract dispute he's been having with his agent.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:44 am

The 36ers again played the depleted Melbourne Tigers tonight and lost in OT, 104-100 in Mt Gambier. Top scorers for the Tigers were Nate Tomlinson with 20, Lucas Walker with 19 and Mark Worthington with 17 points & 12 boards, for the 36ers Daniel Johnson scored 20, Gary Ervin had 18 and Anthony Petrie 16.

Also tonight the NZ Breakers swept their three game series with touring Dongguan winning 86-80 in Auckland. Top scorer for the Breakers was Mika Vukona with 12, one of 6 Breakers that scored in double figures and leading the Leopards once again was Donte Greene with 20 points.
Gozu
Coach

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball