2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup

Re: 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup

Postby Gozu » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Great drive at the buzzer by Newley to give the Boomers the lead at half-time 33-32 against Mexico.

Looking like a real dog fight this one.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:14 am

Very scrappy game but a win is a win :)

Australia 70 (Baynes 21, Broekhoff 12, Newley 10) def Mexico 62 (Ayon 11, J. Gutierrez 10, Mendez 10)

First time in 16 years we've won 3 consecutive games at a World Cup too.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Pup » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:19 am

Gozu wrote:Very scrappy game but a win is a win :)

Australia 70 (Baynes 21, Broekhoff 12, Newley 10) def Mexico 62 (Ayon 11, J. Gutierrez 10, Mendez 10)

Was a very ordinary game.. Baynes has been terrific so far this world cup.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:08 pm

Pup wrote:
Gozu wrote:Very scrappy game but a win is a win :)

Was a very ordinary game.. Baynes has been terrific so far this world cup.

Agreed, where would we be without him!
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Other Day 5 results:

Puerto Rico 77 def Philippines 73
New Zealand 73 def Ukraine 61
Iran 88 def Egypt 73
Slovenia 93 def Angola 87
Argentina 81 def Senegal 46
Turkey 77 def Finland 73
Brazil 81 def Serbia 73
Lithuania 79 def Korea 49
Greece 76 def Croatia 65
USA 106 def Dominican Republic 71
Spain 88 def France 64

The Boomers play Angola tonight in our final group stage game at 8:55pm on ABC2.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:20 pm

A bit of talk around that it might be in Australia's best interest to lose tonight's game against Angola to avoid a possible Quarter-Final meeting with the USA. A lot of speculation we might rest a few of our key guys and play our bench guys heavy minutes as we've already qualified for the next stage the Round of 16.

European teams are notorious for stuff like this in these big tournaments 'managing' their players for future better matchups once they've essentially qualified for the next round but not sure how I would feel if we did this. Supposedly on centrebet Angola are paying $7 for the win and Australia are $1.10 but I'm not really a gambling man or game enough just in case we 'jag' the win ;)
Gozu
Coach

Postby on the rails » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Well according to FIBA website USA will play Group D 4th placed team so win or even narrow Los and we can't drop below 3rd by my calculations.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:39 pm

on the rails wrote:Well according to FIBA website USA will play Group D 4th placed team so win or even narrow Los and we can't drop below 3rd by my calculations.

True but we're thinking the next stage after that, we're going to finish 2nd or 3rd in our group and will avoid the USA in the Round of 16 but if we were to win that game we might meet them in the QF's.
Last edited by Gozu on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:40 pm

Boomers up 42-29 at half-time and great to see guys like Goulding, Exum & Jawai getting a good run.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:20 am

Good decision by Lemanis to rest Baynes & Ingles and play Delly & Broekhoff a few token minutes, unfortunately it was best for us to lose this game.

Angola 91 (Moreira 38, Mingas 16, Fortes 12) def Australia 83 (Goulding 22, Motum 13, Exum 12, Bairstow 11, Jawai 10)
Gozu
Coach

Postby Pup » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:51 am

Moreira was awesome but our defense was very very ordinary...

Will be interesting with the next result
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:47 am

Gozu wrote:A bit of talk around that it might be in Australia's best interest to lose tonight's game against Angola to avoid a possible Quarter-Final meeting with the USA. A lot of speculation we might rest a few of our key guys and play our bench guys heavy minutes as we've already qualified for the next stage the Round of 16.

European teams are notorious for stuff like this in these big tournaments 'managing' their players for future better matchups once they've essentially qualified for the next round but not sure how I would feel if we did this. Supposedly on centrebet Angola are paying $7 for the win and Australia are $1.10 but I'm not really a gambling man or game enough just in case we 'jag' the win ;)

Hehehe took your advice and placed a small $10 on Angola, that will pay for the beers at the pub tonight
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Johno6 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:50 am

i made a comment on twitter yesterday about aussies tanking as well
thought it was an option to avoid usa, didn't think they would do it
and so blatantly obvious in the second half.

aus play turkey now?
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Gozu » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:54 pm

whufc wrote:
Gozu wrote:A bit of talk around that it might be in Australia's best interest to lose tonight's game against Angola to avoid a possible Quarter-Final meeting with the USA. A lot of speculation we might rest a few of our key guys and play our bench guys heavy minutes as we've already qualified for the next stage the Round of 16.

Hehehe took your advice and placed a small $10 on Angola, that will pay for the beers at the pub tonight

Sweet, $70! I came so close to putting $30 on Angola would've netted me $210 but chickened out :lol:
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Johno6 wrote:i made a comment on twitter yesterday about aussies tanking as well
thought it was an option to avoid usa, didn't think they would do it
and so blatantly obvious in the second half.

aus play turkey now?

Yeah we play Turkey now in the Round of 16.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Other Day 6 results:

Philippines 81 def Senegal 79
New Zealand 67 def Finland 65
Brazil 128 def Egypt 65
Mexico 87 def Korea 71
USA 95 def Ukraine 71
France 81 def Iran 76
Croatia 103 def Puerto Rico 82
Lithuania 67 def Slovenia 64
Turkey 77 def Dominican Republic 64
Spain 89 def Serbia 73
Greece 79 def Argentina 71
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Final group stage standings:

Group A

Spain 5-0
Brazil 4-1
France 3-2
Serbia 2-3

Iran 1-4
Egypt 0-5

Group B

Greece 5-0
Croatia 3-2
Argentina 3-2
Senegal 2-3

Puerto Rico 1-4
Philippines 1-4

Group C

USA 5-0
Turkey 3-2
Dominican Republic 2-3
New Zealand 2-3

Ukraine 2-3
Finland 1-4

Group D

Lithuania 4-1
Slovenia 4-1
Australia 3-2
Mexico 2-3

Angola 2-3
Korea 0-5

Round of 16 matchups:

USA vs Mexico
France vs Croatia
Dominican Republic vs Slovenia
Spain vs Senegal

New Zealand vs Lithuania
Serbia vs Greece
Turkey vs Australia
Brazil vs Argentina
Gozu
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Gozu wrote:
whufc wrote:

Sweet, $70! I came so close to putting $30 on Angola would've netted me $210 but chickened out :lol:

Seems such an obvious thing that might happen, you wonder why such long odds? Even if we didn't set out to lose there was nothing to gain and teams with nothing to gain tend to drop games like this a lot. For Angola though, they still had a chance to advance and if they didn't, you always like to win the last game. Someone at centrebet will be getting dragged into the office for stern words methinks.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Gozu » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:34 pm

Grahaml wrote:Seems such an obvious thing that might happen, you wonder why such long odds? Even if we didn't set out to lose there was nothing to gain and teams with nothing to gain tend to drop games like this a lot. For Angola though, they still had a chance to advance and if they didn't, you always like to win the last game. Someone at centrebet will be getting dragged into the office for stern words methinks.

International basketball games don't tend to attract as much scrutiny as say international soccer games but in saying that betting on basketball games in Europe is a big business and perhaps a few of our betting agencies didn't have their ears to the ground as it was clear the odds were for what should happen if both teams were going 100%.

I outsmarted myself because even though I was keen to put a bet on despite not being into betting I was so sure even our bench guys would take care of them and we might end up winning anyway, I never thought we would intentionally throw the game as it was obvious we were doing that.

Goran Dragic's outrage was quite funny too given European teams do stuff like this all the time (Lithuania played their two NBA players only token minutes in the loss to us) but he was just sore because it meant whoever finished 2nd and 4th in our group would meet the USA before the semi-finals stage (when even if you lose a SF you go into the bronze medal game) so if Slovenia win their Round of 16 match they now know they'll just get bounced out by the USA in the QF's.

If we're good enough to beat Turkey and then the winner of Lithuania/NZ we've given ourselves the chance to play for a medal by avoiding the USA until the SF's.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Round of 16 broadcast times:

USA vs Mexico tonight at 11:25pm on ABC2

Australia vs Turkey Monday morning at 3:25am on ABC
Gozu
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball