2019-20 NBL Season + Off-season news

Re: 2019-20 NBL Season + Off-season news

Postby Gozu » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:27 pm

We signed Conner Henry for 3 years too.

https://nbl.com.au/news/adelaide-36ers- ... head-coach
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:30 pm

With the salary restrictions for next season Bryce Cotton has opted out of his contract with the Perth Wildcats and it seems will play overseas next season:

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/ ... s-contract
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri May 01, 2020 10:02 am

That is huge. Will be very hard to replace.

Best player in the league for mine.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Gozu » Fri May 01, 2020 1:57 pm

It is he was IMO comfortably the best player in the league.

The deadline for players opting out of their contracts is May 4 and bit of talk Casper Ware is also thinking about doing the same with Sydney.
Gozu
Coach

Postby JK » Sun May 03, 2020 12:37 pm

Brodlach wrote:He joins the 36ers after previous positions including Assistant Coach of Orlando Magic and Head coach of the NBA D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants where he won a Championship and was awarded Coach of the Year.

Lol thats brilliant
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Gozu » Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 pm

The NBL have announced that the start of the free agency period has been pushed back to July 1.

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-free-agency

Also Xavier Cooks has opted out of his contract with Sydney and Matt Hodgson has done the same with Brisbane.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon May 04, 2020 10:12 pm

In some more unfortunate news Casper Ware has opted out of his contract with Sydney and Nick Kay too has opted out of his deal with Perth.

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/ ... s-nbl-deal

Mitch Creek has opted in with SEM and Casey Prather, Mitch McCarron and others have opted in with Melbourne United.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue May 05, 2020 11:44 pm

The NBL have said that 45 of the 50 currently contracted players have opted in to stay with their teams under the salary restrictions for next season.

Bryce Cotton (Perth Wildcats), Casper Ware (Sydney Kings), Matt Hodgson (Brisbane Bullets), Nick Kay (Perth Wildcats) and Xavier Cooks (Sydney Kings) can opt back into their contracts before next season and their Clubs will hold their NBL rights.

https://nbl.com.au/news/hungry-jacks-nb ... ed-players
Gozu
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 am

DJ extends his contract with Adelaide
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Gozu » Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 am

Jim05 wrote:DJ extends his contract with Adelaide

Re-signed for another three years.

https://nbl.com.au/news/daniel-johnson- ... h-adelaide
Gozu
Coach

Postby beef » Wed May 06, 2020 12:56 pm

How do you think the standard of the comp will be next year and beyond

Already better players (cotton ware etc) leaving
G league copying the next stars program which will probably stop the likes of LaMello Ball coming out here
3 imports down to 2
Reduced salary cap

League made huge progress recently, i get the feeling we're going to go backwards. Obviously no ones fault but the league will still be charging same or more for tickets but putting on an inferior product. Fans wont hang around for that, if they are allowed back at all. Trying to expand into Tassie when some sides will struggle to survive (hawks, cairns at a guess) plus Adelaide Melb syd and bris all had problems in the past.

Im sure news out of headquarters will be all positive but if a shit product is presented i dont think we (australia) have a loyal NBL fan base that will show up and hand over their money regardless.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Gozu » Wed May 06, 2020 3:42 pm

beef wrote:How do you think the standard of the comp will be next year and beyond

Already better players (cotton ware etc) leaving
G league copying the next stars program which will probably stop the likes of LaMello Ball coming out here
3 imports down to 2
Reduced salary cap

League made huge progress recently, i get the feeling we're going to go backwards. Obviously no ones fault but the league will still be charging same or more for tickets but putting on an inferior product. Fans wont hang around for that, if they are allowed back at all. Trying to expand into Tassie when some sides will struggle to survive (hawks, cairns at a guess) plus Adelaide Melb syd and bris all had problems in the past.

Im sure news out of headquarters will be all positive but if a shit product is presented i dont think we (australia) have a loyal NBL fan base that will show up and hand over their money regardless.

All fair points and it will be a down year in a sense due to coronavirus but I don't think the standard will decline much at all. Who right now wants to play in Italy or Spain or Russia or China? The higher talent that would normally be playing there might look at Australia as a safer bet sure big pay cut but treat it as a paid holiday for one season until Europe improves coronavirus-wise in the future.

It's a shame to possibly lose players like Cotton & Ware but there's quite a few of them out there undersized volume scoring imports and now Australia might be appearing on their radars. Not all doom and gloom by any stretch.

Aside from the possible new imports and other Aussies that could be coming here next season we still have:

Adelaide - Johnson, McVeigh, Drmic, Froling, Randle?

Perth - Steindl, Norton, Martin

Cairns - Jawai, Deng, Noi, Djeric

Brisbane - Sobey, Gliddon, Magnay, Cadee

Sydney - Bogut, Lisch, Newley, Kickert

Illawarra - Blanchfield, Ogilvy, Coenraad, Naar, Grida

Melbourne - Prather, Goulding, McCarron, Lual-Acuil, Ili

SE Melbourne - Wesley, Creek, Madgen, Pineau

NZ Breakers - Webster, Abercrombie, Delany, Loe
Gozu
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon May 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Reports that Illawarra have gone into liquidation for the second time in five years.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MW » Mon May 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Spargo wrote:Reports that Illawarra have gone into liquidation for the second time in five years.

Should have let that Ball kid buy it
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1849 times

Postby Gozu » Mon May 18, 2020 4:02 pm

A report from administrator Michael Jones revealed the Hawks were unable to meet outstanding debts of more than $2 million and recommended the company be wound up.

It also revealed staff and players who had been stood down since April were owed about $750,000.

The NBL currently owns the franchise licence after taking it back from former owner Simon Stratford, and it has committed to paying outstanding player salaries.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-18/ ... s/12259544

MW wrote:
Spargo wrote:Reports that Illawarra have gone into liquidation for the second time in five years.

Should have let that Ball kid buy it

He probably wasn't interested in taking on the debt.
Gozu
Coach

Postby beef » Mon May 18, 2020 8:29 pm

Brett Maher named his greatest 36ers side
Green
Maher
Catalini
Davis
Johnson
I would've had Darnell mee. Never like when people pick their "best" side and name themselves, strike me as a flog.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby MW » Mon May 18, 2020 9:16 pm

beef wrote:Brett Maher named his greatest 36ers side
Green
Maher
Catalini
Davis
Johnson
I would've had Darnell mee. Never like when people pick their "best" side and name themselves, strike me as a flog.

When the court is named after you I think you're allowed
MW
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon May 18, 2020 9:48 pm

beef wrote:Brett Maher named his greatest 36ers side
Green
Maher
Catalini
Davis
Johnson

Johnson :roll:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MW » Mon May 18, 2020 9:57 pm

Not sure we've had a better centre than DJ.
MW
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed May 20, 2020 4:31 pm

The Brisbane Bullets have announced that Matt Hodgson has now decided to opt-in to his contract and will be back with the team this season.

https://www.brisbanebullets.com.au/news ... -for-nbl21
Gozu
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball