NBA

Postby JK » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:30 pm

Has never been the same after his injury ... Have followed his progress a bit since he's been with the 6ers as I have him in a fantasy league, but like Phili I'm cutting him for nothing at seasons end also.

Agree he was an awesome player, and might be able to play a role as blokes like Mutombo, Mourning, McDyees etc are/have, but his D is a shadow of it's former self these days so I would imagine the bursts would be somewhat limited.

Still, if he can pull 10pp and 6 boards in limited minutes he'd be a pretty handy role player.
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:16 pm

Detriot is the rumour
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:07 pm

Saw a game about a week ago involving the Houston Rockets and the San Antonio Spurs in which the Rockets won on the Spurs hom court minus Yao Ming, who isn't due back 'til next month.
For mine, Tracy McGrady would have to be one of the most underated stars in the NBA. He basically won this game off his own back ,with 37 points, with a series of clutch jumpers, dazzling moves around the basket and three pointers against Bruce Bowen of the Spurs who is considered just about the best individual defender in the NBA. The Rockets are nicely placed in the Western Conference and I feel if Ming is fully fit by the playoffs, the have a legitimate title shot. Hard to believe that McGrady is still only 27 years old as he has been in the league since 1997.
Good to see that New York City playground legend Rafer Alston has stuck with the Rockets on a long term deal given that he bounced around the league in the early part of his career.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Dutchy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:17 pm

Rockets wernt too good today ORD...I backed them -10.5 but got beaten at home by double digits against NOH!!!

If you blokes havent seen this is a great website showing all the Aussies in the US NBA, College or Development League...didnt know there were so many Aussies playing College ball

http://www.aussiehoopsamerica.com/
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:31 pm

In regards to the Iverson deal to Denver........
The Nuggets haven't set the world on fire as yet (George Karl coached teams have historically come home strong after the All star game) and while Iverson's scoring average has gone down to 26.3PPG as a Nugget, his field goal percentage is up from 41% to 46% and his 3 point percentage is up from 23% to 39% and he is also passing for another assist a game.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby Magpiespower » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:20 am

Talk about Scottie Pippen joining the injury-hit Lakers.

After years of bagging out Mr. Migraine, it's gonna kill me to cheer for him.

That's if, Phil signs him...
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Would be interesting regarding Pippen, who is often maligned as having ridden on Jordan's coattails but was only one bonehead call away from making the 1994 Conference Finals (minus Jordan - and yes I'm aware that's the same series as the famous 1.8 seconds) and like Chris Webber in Sacramento, was perhaps only O'Neal/Bryant (either/either) away from leading Portland to a title. There has also been some rumblings about the Dallas Mavericks possibly signing Reggie Miller.
Still say that I like Houston as a chance once Ming comes back despite their ordinary showing the other day against the Spurs.
Did anyone see that dunk by Tyrus Thomas of the Bulls???????
I have seen 21 year old slam dunk champ Gerald Green twice now and despite being considered a bit 'green' (pardon the pun) he has scored over 20 points in only 20 minutes off the bench both times and has real propensity to catch fire from the three point line for the Celtics.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby JK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:17 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Did anyone see that dunk by Tyrus Thomas of the Bulls???????

His block that lead to the jam wasn't bad either, but the dunk was seriously awesome!!
JK
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:57 pm

you blokes follow it closely whos your tip for the Championship?

Mavs...would like to see them win it but many of their wins are unimpressive but they get the job done
Suns...seem to be struggling lately, maybe their fast paced offence has them leg weary this time of year
Spurs....still my tip, they play better on the road than at home this year, could be the key some play off time

Roughie - My Jazz are playing ultra consistent team B/Ball and cleaned up NOH today who were the hottest team in the comp over the last fortnight
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:59 am

I honestly think there's a raffle factor in there this year, although you have probably mentioned the best 4 chances and whilst they aren't perhaps the most explosive, I would have thought the Spurs were the most reliable of that lot.

Detroit are always a possibility even though they seem to have lost a little of that aura since Big Ben's shift to the Bulls and as alluded to earlier in the thread, if Houston can boast a healthy pairing of T-Mac and Ming come Playoff time they would be bloody hard to beat.

Just by the way, how tight is the battle for the 8th playoff spot in the West?? :shock:

I threw money pre-season on Houston and Cleveland, pretty much only because of their odds.
JK
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:06 am

Ming is back today against cleveland...Houston went 20-12 without him
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:55 am

IMHO it will be the Dallas Mavericks this year and that's really only going on the fact that they've knocked on the door a few times now and if they don't win it this year, I don't believe they will at all with the current roster.

There has been some astute drafting and personel moves including......................

Josh Howard - All star forward who will probably go down as one of the biggest draft steals ever (29th pick overall)
Jason Terry - The point guard would be a featured player in a lot of other teams.
Erick Dampier/Desagna Diop - A more than adequate Center combination.
Devean George/Austin Croshere - experienced role players, who once again would get more minutes in lesser sides.
Dirk Nowitzki - The star of the lineup and I think the Mavs really deserve credit for drafting him as high as they did when it was still considered a bit unfashionable to draft Europeans early in the draft.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby MW » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:52 pm

Ron Artest was arrested for Domestic Violence overnight
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:45 pm

MW wrote:Ron Artest was arrested for Domestic Violence overnight

"What do you say to a woman with 2 black eyes? NOTHING you already told her twice" - Ron Artest

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/Artest_Geoff_Petrie_Statement.html
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Mavs v Suns game today looks as though it lived up to it's billing, with Suns getting over the line by 2 in 2OT - Would be well worth watching Sportscenter tonight on ESPN for a look I'd say.
JK
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:Mavs v Suns game today looks as though it lived up to it's billing, with Suns getting over the line by 2 in 2OT - Would be well worth watching Sportscenter tonight on ESPN for a look I'd say.

or even the whole game at 7pm!...cracker...didnt they play an OT game earlier in the season?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Magpiespower » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:30 am

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Dirk Nowitzki - The star of the lineup and I think the Mavs really deserve credit for drafting him as high as they did when it was still considered a bit unfashionable to draft Europeans early in the draft.

Come down Don Nelson!

He copped a lot of flak after Dirk Diggler struggled in his rookie year.

But to average 8/3 as a 20 year-old straight out of the German league was a fair effort I reakon.

Now, he's a superstar...
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby JK » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:30 am

Spewing I missed it mate (somehow I don't think my Lawn Bowls was anywhere near as exciting), here's hoping these two continue the tight results in a playoff series that goes the distance!
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:48 am

How's Schenser's chances of a contract going?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:22 pm

I don't follow any of the other leagues over in the US, but I thought I read somewhere the other day that he was running at about 9ppg and 7rpg in a so-called development league (notorious for players putting themselves as opposed to the team on show) ... He would be one of many who might be able to fill a final roster spot in an NBA lineup but the odds would have to be against it I would have thought, so returning home (if it holds ANY interest to him) could well be an option.
JK
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball