adelaide rugby sevens

adelaide rugby sevens

Postby bayman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:29 pm

for anyone that loves their rugby union sevens, i'd suggest that you go on april 2nd &/or 3rd to the adelaide oval as it is likely the 'sevens circus' will move to ballymore (queensland) next year, although western australia are sniffing around as well
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Re: adelaide rugby sevens

Postby godoubleblues » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:35 pm

looking to get tickets for the sunday, good fun and a great spectacle
godoubleblues
Coach

Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby brod » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Great to see AO members can get in for free on the Saturday
brod
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby MagicKiwi » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Tickets for both days bought. Oh my liver.

Is it true that this is moving to Ballymore or is that a rumour? I thought we'd signed up for a few more years.
Red (and White)
Red (Backs)
All (Blacks)
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 pm

I thought the ARU made quite a point in the Melbourne Rebels bid that Adelaide could never support a super rugby side, but would long remain Australia's home of rugby sevens.
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Been liked: 2 times

Postby bayman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:46 pm

MagicKiwi wrote:Tickets for both days bought. Oh my liver.

Is it true that this is moving to Ballymore or is that a rumour? I thought we'd signed up for a few more years.

all i can tell you is that my boss is heavily involved in rugby union, (at work we have a lot more phone calls about rugby than we do about work), he told me when the government pulls the pin the the 7's would move to ballymore as saru can't afford it & added that the west is sniffing around as well
bayman
Coach

Postby Dogmatic » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:03 pm

No more Sevens in Adelaide :(
A couple of the media releases.

Wednesday, 13th April 2011

GOLD COAST TO BECOME NEW HOME FOR AUSTRALIAN LEG OF HSBC SEVENS WORLD SERIES

Australian Rugby Union today announced that the Gold Coast had been selected as the new home for the Australian leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series for the next four years.

The International Rugby Sevens Gold Coast will be held at Skilled Park on 25-26 November 2011 and will be the first stop of the 2011/12 HSBC Sevens World Series.

ARU Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill said the decision to award the four-year contract to the Gold Coast came after a thorough bidding process.

“Last November, we invited a range of interested parties from across Australia to submit proposals to host the Australian leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series and we received very competitive responses from Adelaide, Perth, Sydney and the Gold Coast,” Mr O’Neill said.

“After a thorough review process, which included consultation with the International Rugby Board, I am pleased to announce that the Gold Coast was selected as the new home to one of Australia’s fastest growing sports and one of the World’s most exciting Rugby events.

“The decision to move the event to the Gold Coast for the next four years came after a thorough review of some very good proposals and I want to congratulate all the interested parties that expressed a strong desire to host the tournament.

“The Gold Coast is known around the world as a city of excitement and fun and that is exactly the atmosphere we will want to create around the HSBC Sevens World Series event, and other major domestic Sevens tournaments.

“We know events like Dubai, Hong Kong and Wellington all put on a show that attracts people from around the world and we are confident that the decision to host this tournament on the Gold Coast will deliver another exciting opportunity for fans to enjoy international Sevens.

"The Gold Coast is an iconic tourist destination and therefore a wonderful fit for a tournament that has year on year attracted overseas visitors in large numbers.

“I also want to extend my sincere thanks to the South Australian Government and the people of Adelaide who, for the last five years, have embraced the International Rugby Sevens Adelaide tournament. Their commitment has been sincerely appreciated.

"In speaking to the South Australian Premier Mike Rann to relay the news of our decision, I also made it clear we still view Adelaide as a potential home for major Rugby events.

"The significant redevelopment of the picturesque Adelaide Oval certainly brings it on to the radar as a serious contender to stage another major Test match.

"In 2003, Adelaide hosted two Rugby World Cup matches on the same weekend, and it was enormously successful. The following year saw the Qantas Wallabies play the Pacific Islanders there in a Test."

International Rugby Board Chairman, Bernard Lapasset, said the IRB was delighted that the 2011/12 HSBC Sevens World Series will kick off on Queensland’s Gold Coast.

“For the past five years Adelaide and the people of South Australia have provided a warm welcome for the Series and now Sevens will reach out to yet more people,” Mr Lapasset said.

“The HSBC Sevens World Series continues to grow from strength to strength in every way, attracting interest not only from an increasing number of fans and television broadcasters, but also from global destinations keen to share in its excitement and we very much look forward to this exciting development.”

Queensland Premier, Anna Bligh, welcomed the announcement that and said winning the bid for an event as prestigious as HSBC International Sevens World Series is great news for the Gold Coast and great news for Queensland.

“At a time when we are putting the finishing touches on another bid – for the Commonwealth Games in 2018 – this reinforces our message that the Gold Coast is a first-class sporting destination and event ready in every way,” Ms Bligh said.

“What better place to host an international tournament than the state-of-the-art stadium at Skilled Park?

“I’d like to thank everyone involved in supporting this great event and bringing it to the Gold Coast and I am confident it will be a resounding success.”

Head of Marketing for HSBC Australia, Vic Wolff, said HSBC is synonymous with rugby in Australia and we are proud to have been part of the rugby community here for the last decade through our partnership with the HSBC Waratahs.

“Looking forward, we're incredibly excited about the continued growth of Rugby Sevens, both here and around the world, and we're thrilled to be involved in this new rugby tournament in one of the greatest rugby nations,” Mr Wolff said.

“Australia has been a fantastic host of the Rugby Sevens to date, and we look forward to the Gold Coast launching the 2011/12 HSBC Sevens World Series this November."

Australian Seven’s coach, Michael O’Connor, said the Gold Coast would no doubt provide an exciting party atmosphere.

“There is a real energy on the Gold Coast and I am confident that will translate to the stands and in-turn onto the field with some exciting and electric Rugby,” O’Connor said.

“I know having been with the team for several years that there is a real party atmosphere associated with other legs of the HSBC Sevens World Series and I am sure the Gold Coast will be able to match, if not better those atmospheres.

“In saying that I don’t want to take anything away from Adelaide, it has been a great venue for the past five years and I want to thank the people of Adelaide who have supported both the Aussie Seven’s teams and the International Rugby Sevens Adelaide.”

The International Rugby Sevens Gold Coast is supported by the Queensland Government, through Events Queensland, and the Gold Coast City Council.

12 April 2011
GOLD COAST NEW HOME FOR HSBC SEVENS WORLD SERIES
Premier Anna Bligh today welcomed the Australian Rugby Union’s announcement that the Gold Coast would become the new home for the Australian leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series for the next four years.
“Winning the bid for an event as prestigious as this is great news for the Gold Coast and great news for Queensland,” Ms Bligh said today.
“At a time when we are putting the finishing touches on another bid – for the Commonwealth Games in 2018 – this reinforces our message that the Gold Coast is a first-class sporting destination and event ready in every way.
“What better place to host an international tournament than the state-of-the-art stadium at Skilled Park?
“An event of this calibre will also deliver a shot in the arm to the Gold Coast tourism industry and economy – and that’s good news for local business and local jobs.
“What’s more it will position the Gold Coast and Queensland front and centre on the world stage.
“I’d like to thank everyone involved in supporting this great event and bringing it to the Gold Coast and I am confident it will be a resounding success.”
The International Rugby Sevens Gold Coast is supported by the Queensland Government, through Events Queensland, and the Gold Coast City Council. It will be held at Skilled Park on 25-26 November.
ARU Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill said the decision to award the four-year contract to the Gold Coast came after a thorough bidding process.
“Last November, we invited a range of interested parties from across Australia to submit proposals to host the Australian leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series and we received very competitive responses from Adelaide, Perth, Sydney and the Gold Coast,” Mr O’Neill said.
“After a thorough review process, which included consultation with the International Rugby Board, I am pleased to announce that the Gold Coast was selected as the new home to one of Australia’s fastest growing sports and one of the World’s most exciting Rugby events.
“The decision to move the event to the Gold Coast for the next four years came after a thorough review of some very good proposals and I want to congratulate all the interested parties that expressed a strong desire to host the tournament.
“The Gold Coast is known around the world as a city of excitement and fun and that is exactly the atmosphere we want to permeate through to the Sevens tournament.
“We know tournaments like Dubai, Hong Kong and Wellington all put on a show that attracts people from around the world and we are confident that the decision to host this tournament on the Gold Coast will deliver another exciting opportunity for fans to enjoy international Sevens.
“I want to extend my sincere thanks to the South Australian Government and the people of Adelaide who, for the last five years, have embraced the International Rugby Sevens Adelaide tournament. Their commitment has been sincerely appreciated.”
International Rugby Board Chairman, Bernard Lapasset, said the IRB was delighted that the 2011/12 HSBC Sevens World Series will kick off on Queensland’s Gold Coast.
“For the past five years Adelaide and the people of South Australia have provided a warm welcome for the Series and now Sevens will reach out to yet more people,” Mr Lapasset said.
“The HSBC Sevens World Series continues to grow from strength to strength in every way, attracting interest not only from an increasing number of fans and television broadcasters, but also from global destinations keen to share in its excitement and we very much look forward to this exciting development.”
Australian Seven’s coach Michael O’Connor said the Gold Coast would no doubt provide an exciting party atmosphere.
“There is a real energy on the Gold Coast and I am confident that will translate to the stands and in-turn onto the field with some exciting and electric Rugby,” O’Connor said.
“I know having been with the team for several years that there is a real party atmosphere associated with other legs of the HSBC Sevens World Series and I am sure the Gold Coast will be able to match, if not better those atmospheres.
“In saying that I don’t want to take anything away from Adelaide, it has been a great venue for the past five years and I want to thank the people of Adelaide who have supported both the Aussie Seven’s teams and the International Rugby Sevens Adelaide.”
Deputy Mayor Daphne McDonald said the city had the climate and the facilities to host the HSBC International Sevens World Series.
“This is a real coup for the Gold Coast as HSBC International Sevens Series is watched by a global audience,” said Cr McDonald.
“The Gold Coast is well-prepared to cater for major international sporting events and hosting the Australian leg of the HSBC International Rugby Sevens Series will showcase all the city has to offer.
“Today’s announcement is very exciting and comes off the back of confirmation that the Australian Rugby Sevens team will train here on the Coast next month.
“As Rugby Sevens is a core Commonwealth Games sport, this will also help demonstrate to voting delegates that we can and will deliver a world-class Commonwealth Games in 2018.”
An announcement about ticket sales will be made closer to the event.
Contact 07 32244500
For every one I miss I am closer to a hole in one.
Dogmatic
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Dog_ger » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:57 pm

Gold Coast Rugby 7's in 2012...

Adelaide oval is CARP for international sport. :shock:

We are waisting our time... :D

Keep Footy Park. :D

Wake Up....
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby godoubleblues » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:10 pm

well that sucks, I thought we would lose out though
godoubleblues
Coach

Postby bayman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:06 pm

as i said back in febuary it was going, the 'gold coast submission' has surprised my boss with the news today as he through contacts were convinced it was ballymore, he presumes the queensland government may have had some input into that decision...........as for test matches at the adelaide oval he said they (australia) wont play any of the 'big name countries' in adelaide when they can get more people into grounds on the eastern seaboard & therefore more money, he said they'll play countries like fiji & argentina
bayman
Coach

Postby godoubleblues » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:51 pm

bayman wrote:...........as for test matches at the adelaide oval he said they (australia) wont play any of the 'big name countries' in adelaide when they can get more people into grounds on the eastern seaboard & therefore more money, he said they'll play countries like fiji & argentina

that is quite understandable as we wont pull the big crowds like the eastern states
but then again how do you promote the game in states like ours, it is a double edged sword, still disappointing though
godoubleblues
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 am

sob sob :(

My daughters going to be shattered!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MagicKiwi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:30 pm

The Gold Coast is a hole and that stadium is difficult to get to. Ah well, the people that supported our Sevens from interstate for five years will certainly miss the ease which Adelaide is to get around. We're boycotting the Gold Coast next year and heading to Wellington!!!
Red (and White)
Red (Backs)
All (Blacks)
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby godoubleblues » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:18 pm

MagicKiwi wrote:The Gold Coast is a hole and that stadium is difficult to get to. Ah well, the people that supported our Sevens from interstate for five years will certainly miss the ease which Adelaide is to get around. We're boycotting the Gold Coast next year and heading to Wellington!!!

good call, although Dubai also looks good ;)
godoubleblues
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 am

Next 2 legs in the UK coming up over the next two weekends, hopefully the Aussies do similarly to last year when they came first and second.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Rugby Union & League