Penrith Panthers and Port Adelaide Power form alliance

Penrith Panthers and Port Adelaide Power form alliance

Postby RoosterMan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:08 am

Penrith Panthers and Port Adelaide Power form groundbreaking alliance between NRL and AFL

April 16, 2015 - 6:25AM

Michael Chammas

Rugby league reporter

The NRL and AFL have long been enemies, but the Penrith Panthers and Port Adelaide Power have formed a groundbreaking alliance.

In a move likely to reverberate through both NRL and AFL headquarters, the Panthers-Power affiliation is a revolutionary partnership aimed at helping both clubs develop their brands in a bid to compete with the premier organisations of their respective codes.

Digital illustration: Kevin Kearney.

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch. Photo: Matt King

Port Adelaide chairman and Sunrise host David Koch visited Panthers in the off-season, presenting to Penrith club executives, football staff and administration.

Koch spoke in detail about the need to invest in the football program and aligning the business with the brand strength, providing an insight into how the club has risen from mediocrity – both on and off the field – amid mounting financial pressures in the past three years.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary and his coaching staff are scheduled to visit Port Adelaide next month to share best practices on football operations and strength and conditioning programs, as well as undertaking a tour of Port's training facilities.

"It will give us a look into how an AFL team structures their football program," Panthers football club chief executive Justin Pascoe said. "The biggest attraction that both Ivan and myself realised that Port coach Ken Hinkley shares similar values around work ethic, discipline and humility – all the things we pride our football program on as well.

The NRL and AFL have long been enemies, but the Penrith Panthers and Port Adelaide Power have formed a groundbreaking alliance.

In a move likely to reverberate through both NRL and AFL headquarters, the Panthers-Power affiliation is a revolutionary partnership aimed at helping both clubs develop their brands in a bid to compete with the premier organisations of their respective codes.

Port Adelaide chairman and Sunrise host David Koch visited Panthers in the off-season, presenting to Penrith club executives, football staff and administration.
Port Adelaide chairman David Koch.

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch. Photo: Matt King

Koch spoke in detail about the need to invest in the football program and aligning the business with the brand strength, providing an insight into how the club has risen from mediocrity – both on and off the field – amid mounting financial pressures in the past three years.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary and his coaching staff are scheduled to visit Port Adelaide next month to share best practices on football operations and strength and conditioning programs, as well as undertaking a tour of Port's training facilities.

"It will give us a look into how an AFL team structures their football program," Panthers football club chief executive Justin Pascoe said. "The biggest attraction that both Ivan and myself realised that Port coach Ken Hinkley shares similar values around work ethic, discipline and humility – all the things we pride our football program on as well.

"This partnership has the potential to extend past just football. It extends through the whole organisation and Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas and myself are currently in discussion around several initiatives, including an employee exchange program aimed at sharing and transferring knowledge, skills and capabilities."

It is not the first time the Panthers have tried to link with a rival code, with Panthers Group having made enquiries about purchasing the Wanderers from Football Federation Australia in 2013.

While Penrith are interested in the membership growth and corporate capabilities of the AFL club, Port Adelaide are interested in the business operations of the Panthers Group run by group chief executive Warren Wilson.

"The way Warren's transformed the business into a profitable organisation is something Port Adelaide indicated very early as a reason they wanted to open up discussions with us about this partnership," Pascoe said. "It is our collective responsibility to make sure that we are opening ourselves up to opportunities that exist across other elite organisations where best practice exists. Port Adelaide represents one of those elite organisations.

"One of the most attractive aspects of the Port Adelaide organisation was the on and off-field successes they've had within their organisation over the past five years and the synergies that represent what our transformation has been."

Port Adelaide are also considered to be the pace-setters in game-day entertainment, which includes thousands of fans involved in the "march from the mall" before each home game and the "never tear us apart" anthem the club has adopted as its own.

After three years of rebuilding, both Port Adelaide and Penrith reached the penultimate weekend of the season last year. Both are considered genuine premiership contenders in 2015, but their success has not been limited to on-field feats.

In 2012 Port Adelaide's membership was just over 37,000, the same figure it had been hovering close to since entering the AFL in 1997. However the club's rapid rise on the field has coincided with a noticeable progression off it, with membership about to pip 60,000 and home crowd averages up from 19,911 in 2012 to 44,429 last season.

Penrith's membership has increased from 6000 in 2013 to more than 16,000 members in 2014, now tracking towards 20,000 in 2015.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/penr ... mljly.html
RoosterMan
Rookie

Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury West

Re: Penrith Panthers and Port Adelaide Power form alliance

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:04 pm

With both sides out of the top 8 I'm keen for this venture to stand!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:39 pm

I read that and still don't understand the point.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:51 pm

They are, in fact, my two teams..... :D

It's basically a think tank as NRL clubs typically have smaller supporter bases. As such they need to attract different revenue stream through coterie groups and sponsorship. So Port Adelaide could learn from that in respect to gathering backing from big spending supporters.

On the flip side Port have turned from 22,000 members to 60,000 members in 4 years and Penrith would be most keen to learn how Port Adelaide have managed to do that.

It's clearly nothing on field that can or will be shared but the off field manner in gaining a greater share of the limited monies on offer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:28 pm

I actually get all of that - I just don't get why it's a big deal.
AFL clubs have always looked at other sports for inspiration.
And, they can just have meetings do workshops to learn those things from each other.
Calling it a partnership sounds like wankspeak to me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I actually get all of that - I just don't get why it's a big deal.
AFL clubs have always looked at other sports for inspiration.
And, they can just have meetings do workshops to learn those things from each other.
Calling it a partnership sounds like wankspeak to me.

Well, it's not a "big deal", is it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Someone thinks it is, they've put out a press release, which has then been turned into a news story.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:08 pm

If a press release makes it a big deal then there's lots of "big deals" going down. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Calling it a partnership sounds like wankspeak to me.

I don't think you appreciate the dynamic synergies that can be actioned from this partnership.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:39 pm

It concerns me that you can put that together so well.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Rugby Union & League