NFC
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: 2011 Wimbledon

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:24 am

Thats unreal, well done.
Hope he can get up over Djokovic next round
Last edited by Jim05 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3570 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:41 am

Bartoli defeats Serena in straight sets in the battle of the she-males
Jim05
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:42 am

one of the gorillas knocked out ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 1053 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:41 am

Rafa through in 4
Murray through in straight sets
Venus knocked out by one of the ovas left in the field, wozniacki also did her usual grand slam choke losing to another ova. Is wozniacki the worst number 1 ever?
Very open field in womens now, most of them eastern bloc ladies
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:Rafa through in 4
Venus knocked out by one of the ovas left in the field, wozniacki also did her usual grand slam choke losing to another ova. Is wozniacki the worst number 1 ever?

Do you actually know anything about tennis? Or do you just watch the grand slams when they come on TV and make it up from there? You do realise that grand slams are totally different events, right? And you are familiar with the depth of women's tennis at the moment too I take it? Just in case you're not familiar with tennis, as it appears right now, ranking positions are earned by winning matches and tournaments. Wozniaki earned that number 1 spot by beating these players consistently throughout the year. In tournaments that last 1 week compared to the 2 weeks. Most regular circuit players are used to one week tournaments while 2 week tournaments require a totally different mindset and fitness.

The only time you can say someone is the "worst" number 1 is to say the competition for that spot is weak or come up with some sort of technical analysis of her skills. Although the latter I hold little hope of given your experience playing tennis is likely limited to the Wii and listening to Johanna Griggs' comments during the Australian Open.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Grahaml wrote:

Do you actually know anything about tennis? Or do you just watch the grand slams when they come on TV and make it up from there? You do realise that grand slams are totally different events, right? And you are familiar with the depth of women's tennis at the moment too I take it? Just in case you're not familiar with tennis, as it appears right now, ranking positions are earned by winning matches and tournaments. Wozniaki earned that number 1 spot by beating these players consistently throughout the year. In tournaments that last 1 week compared to the 2 weeks. Most regular circuit players are used to one week tournaments while 2 week tournaments require a totally different mindset and fitness.

The only time you can say someone is the "worst" number 1 is to say the competition for that spot is weak or come up with some sort of technical analysis of her skills. Although the latter I hold little hope of given your experience playing tennis is likely limited to the Wii and listening to Johanna Griggs' comments during the Australian Open.

If she was any chop though, she should be winning these tournaments. I'm with Jim.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 896 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

If she was any chop though, she should be winning these tournaments. I'm with Jim.

For once I agree with Grahaml. You dont get number 1 without winning matches. Womens tennis is so unpredicatable these days you dont know who is going to win a slam?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:09 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

For once I agree with Grahaml. You dont get number 1 without winning matches. Womens tennis is so unpredicatable these days you dont know who is going to win a slam?

Totally agree with Grahaml. You don't make it to #1 by making it to the 2nd week of the slams. It is about consistently winning games throughout the season. You can not make the final 16 in any of the slams and still be the worlds best.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby NFC » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:17 pm

A world #1 should be a GS winner and be a consistent threat at them. Is Caro? NO!!!

Look at her record at the Slams, woeful:

1, 2, 2, 4, 3, 3, 4, 3, 3, 3, F, 4, QF, 4, SF, SF, 3, 4.

1 final, 2SF, 1QF, the rest are 4th round or earlier.

Don't get me wrong, she has won a lot ot titles (mostly international tournies, ie relatively weak fields) and is a consistent peformer over the course of the year, but until she proves something at the Slams, she won't be a well respected world #1.
NFC
Coach

Postby sapaul » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Grahaml wrote:The only time you can say someone is the "worst" number 1

He didn't say, he asked.

Drama queen much?
sapaul
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: South Whyalla

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Hey Graham if you read my post it was a genuine question not a statement. Nowhere have i said she is not a worthy number 1 or decent player. The question came up at the pub last night, we constantly compare who the best number 1 ever is but have you ever heard anyone ask who the worst number 1 is. To the best of my knowledge since rankings began in the early 70's nearly all number 1's have won a slam if not multiples. Granted that the early era was dominated by Evert,Goolagong,Navratilova and Graf i couldnt come up with many number 1's who didnt win a slam, i could only come up with Jankovic, Safina and Wozniacki. Maybe you can think of someone i have forgotten through the journey. Reckon Safina and Jankovic played in several finals so Wozniacki is quite possibly the worst at this stage of her career.
By the way Graham i havnt had a hit for years and i dont own a Wii but i reckon ive followed enough tennis over the years to have my say. Maybe its because she is quite easy on the eye but i find it amazing that the same people that stick up for her give Andy Murray the most stick about being a hack even though he has a Grand slam record that would put Wozniacki to shame
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:47 pm

sapaul wrote:
Grahaml wrote:The only time you can say someone is the "worst" number 1

He didn't say, he asked.

Drama queen much?

Correct it was a question arising at my local last night but sorry i have never been a world number 1 so i cant comment :?
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:21 am

Fair bit of rain yesterday, causing a few delays.
Big upset with Bartoli losing to Lisicki in 3. Kvitova also in 3 over Pironkova. Sharapova destroyed Cibulkova in straight sets. Azarenka just won the first set 6-3.
Mens quarters tonight, be interesting to see how Rafa goes, there is a fair bit of talk that his foot injury may force him to pull out.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 am

Find it strange thant the world number 1 and reigning champ Rafa would be relegated to court 1 for his semi, guess the poms want to see their boy on center court.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 am

Jim05 wrote:Fair bit of rain yesterday, causing a few delays.

Was incredible watching the Centre Court matches with the thunderstorm outside - looked like players were struggling to cope with the sound of the rain pounding the roof.
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 198 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby CK » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:53 am

One point on the Wozniacki debate, without stating either way an opinion on it.

It's been mentioned numerous times on the broadcast, that she is one of the most prolific players on the women's tour, in terms of how many matches she plays at how many tournaments. Renee Stubbs mentioned about how amazed she was, that a number one player would subject herself to so many "lesser" touraments and travel so far, at the possible expense of keeping herself fresh for "bigger" tournaments and Grand Slams.

If a player plays so many matches, its inevitable that, if they win the majority of them, they will have a higher ranking than players who pick and choose tournaments more carefully. Stubbs mentioned that she looked exhausted even before her first round match - it can't always be helping Wozniacki to play so much.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:57 pm

ill join in on the debate and I would agree that there have been many more better world no 1's previously.

and as CK has pointed out from the coverage she is prepared to travel to play the lesser tourneys - nothing wrong with doing that but it sometimes makes ones record look a little better then what it should be.

when Wozniaki wins wimbledon or any other grand slam as number 1 or gets her to number 1 then she deserves that title......but until then....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11985 times
Been liked: 3659 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:01 pm

There is never a bad number 1. But due to the way the rankings work the number 1 rank may not be the best current player. I remember a long time ago when Marcello Rios was ranked number 1 but at the time you probably wouldnt consider him the best player especially around Sampras, Agassi, Courier etc.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby MatteeG » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:06 pm

As a tennis player Caro makes a good perv though...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Tennis