The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: 2011 US Open

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:29 am

Hopefully with the points gained Sam can jump up a couple of spots in the rankings. Dont think she can catch Wozniacki but if she finishes the year strongly a Top 4 ranking is possible
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 am

Jim05 wrote:Hopefully with the points gained Sam can jump up a couple of spots in the rankings. Dont think she can catch Wozniacki but if she finishes the year strongly a Top 4 ranking is possible

They said she jumps to 7 now. But if she has a ripper year next year can jump even higher due to not having to defend many points until US Open next year
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Brucetiki » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:10 am

Wonder if Williams will end up in the doghouse over these comments to the chair umpire

"Aren't you the one who screwed me over last time here?" Serena roared.

"Yeah, you are."

"A code violation because I expressed who I am? We're in America last I checked. Am I gonna get violated for a water? Really, don't even look at me. I promise you, don't look at me because I am not the one. Don't look my way."

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, walk the other way. Because you're out of control. Totally out of control. You're a hater, you're unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow."

"I hate you".
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby AFLflyer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 am

Brucetiki wrote:Wonder if Williams will end up in the doghouse over these comments to the chair umpire

"Yeah, you are."

"A code violation because I expressed who I am? We're in America last I checked. Am I gonna get violated for a water? Really, don't even look at me. I promise you, don't look at me because I am not the one. Don't look my way."

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, walk the other way. Because you're out of control. Totally out of control. You're a hater, you're unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow."

"I hate you".

http://deadspin.com/5839146/
posted in another thread, terrible display.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:18 am

She is a disgrace and needs to be sanctioned
Jim05
Coach

Postby mal » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:35 am

Whats the difference between Serina Williams and a Rottweiler ?
Lipstick
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby dedja » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:57 am

Good to see Sam get the gorilla off her back ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Wonder if Williams will end up in the doghouse over these comments to the chair umpire

"Yeah, you are."

"I hate you".

She never complains! What a joke, plus she's always been a sore loser to boot and sometimes even a sore winner. I think the sisters got their bad attitude from their father.
Congratulations to Stosur though and good to see she tactically did the job and seems to have learnt what most others haven't - you can't beat Serena Williams by hitting the ball straight back to her.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby NFC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Stosur produced one the greatest finals performance I've seen. Flawless, just so clean, great serving, aggressive, I'm in shock.

Congrats Sammy!!

As fro Serena, disgraceful sportsmanship again.
NFC
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Grahaml » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:14 am

ORDoubleBlues wrote:

"Yeah, you are."

"I hate you".

She never complains! What a joke, plus she's always been a sore loser to boot and sometimes even a sore winner. I think the sisters got their bad attitude from their father.
Congratulations to Stosur though and good to see she tactically did the job and seems to have learnt what most others haven't - you can't beat Serena Williams by hitting the ball straight back to her.

When the sisters first appeared on the tour I thought Hingis had the tools to really expose them. They have pretty shoddy footwork for professional tennis players but because they hit the ball so hard they get away with it because players can't place the ball enough to expose them. Hingis I thought had the movement and class to hit the ball with good depth, something neither Venus nor Serena have every dealt with well throughout their careers.

So you CAN beat them hitting it straight back, but you can't hit it back without a fair amount of depth. Ideally though, depth, variety in pace and height and using the whole width of the court and they look fairly second rate. Just very, very few women around who can cope with the consistent power they produce.

But a sensational effort by Stosur. She's probably not a top tier player in terms of talent but hopefully she can use this as a stepping stone to go onto really start putting in some excellent results at the bigger tournaments.

Finally, that incident with Serena, was clearly a violation. The umpire wasn't being pedantic, Stosur got her raquet to the ball! Then the nonsense after, she obviously hasn't learnt from last time because the fine was pathetic. This fine should be the equivalent of the winner's cheque. We know she can afford it but to go on and on and on when she was clearly in the wrong the whole time is a disgrace and needs to be treated as such.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:57 am

Rafa in deep trouble after dropping the first two sets. Disappointing because he broke Djokovic's serve and held leads in both sets. Think the end will come quickly now
Jim05
Coach

Postby mal » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 am

Serina Williams cops a $2,000 fine
I wonder if she will apPeAL
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:18 am

Rafa just won the 3rd set in a tiebreak.
Numerous breaks of serve in the 3rd set, plenty of chances for both.
Would love to see it go to 5
Jim05
Coach

Postby CoverKing » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:42 am

The point at 5-3 in the tiebreak was one of the best points iv ever seen!

Djokovic up 3-0 in the fourth
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:43 am

Will take a miracle from here for Rafa
Jim05
Coach

Postby CoverKing » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 am

Jim05 wrote:Will take a miracle from here for Rafa

Djokovic is simply the best player in the world. Thoroughly deserves the number 1 ranking.

Now 4-1 up
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:59 am

Djokovic wins in 4
Well deserved and clear No. 1
Still think Rafa has plenty to offer, he had a heap of chances to pinch an early set today but Novak pulled everything out at key moments.
Dont write him off yet, still a few slams left in him just probably not on hardcourt
Jim05
Coach

Postby Pup » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Jim05 wrote:Djokovic wins in 4
Still think Rafa has plenty to offer, he had a heap of chances to pinch an early set today but Novak pulled everything out at key moments.
Dont write him off yet, still a few slams left in him just probably not on hardcourt

Top 3 is very strange.

Fed troubles Djokovic, Nadal Troubles Fed, Djokovic Troubles Nadal

Nadal would have been cursing that Federer let his semi slip.

Full credit to Djokovic though, he is incredible form.

Well done to Sam Stosur too, was a brilliant performance to ignore the petulant rant by Williams and still keep her composure. That was the best i have ever seen her play i reckon.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Pup wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Djokovic wins in 4

Top 3 is very strange.

Fed troubles Djokovic, Nadal Troubles Fed, Djokovic Troubles Nadal

Nadal would have been cursing that Federer let his semi slip.

Full credit to Djokovic though, he is incredible form.

Well done to Sam Stosur too, was a brilliant performance to ignore the petulant rant by Williams and still keep her composure. That was the best i have ever seen her play i reckon.

While that is generally true at the moment to an extent, it's far more simplistic than reality. Federer will always be more potent at the US and Wimbledon because of the speed of the courts, while Nadal is clearly slowing down from the speed and energy levels that Federer really struggled with. I think in a final Federer would have taken care of business.

Djokovic hurt his back during the match and apart from the usual niggles a top level athlete endures he'll no doubt be exhausted. I wonder whether he might take a few weeks off throughout the remainder of the season and just play the bigger tournaments. Last thing you want is to be wiped out physically and mentally after a huge year or it will all be wasted going into next year. From here I think Nadal and Federer will be unable to reclaim #1 and it will be Djokovic for 2-3 years before Murray starts to challenge for it.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Tennis