Country Tennis

Re: Country Tennis

Postby mighty hounds » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:54 am

Sky Pilot wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:Arguably the best country tournament is the Melrose Easter event. The courts are within sight of the caravan park, camping grounds, the general store and two pubs. Players come from all over the state and it is full on from junior boys and girls to A grade mens and womens and seniors. Its a four-day swim through. I go every year and wouldn't miss it.

I went to Melrose this year. Our tennis club have been going up for years (Henley South). Tennis was second though, drinking first :lol:

Did you also join the fun at the bowling club MH? A lot of people reckon the bowls'n'beer event is the highlight of Easter!

No I didn't. If you saw a tall bloke wearing the old red and white vertical stripes TW guearsey that was me. Did you play in any events?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:21 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:Arguably the best country tournament is the Melrose Easter event. The courts are within sight of the caravan park, camping grounds, the general store and two pubs. Players come from all over the state and it is full on from junior boys and girls to A grade mens and womens and seniors. Its a four-day swim through. I go every year and wouldn't miss it.

I went to Melrose this year. Our tennis club have been going up for years (Henley South). Tennis was second though, drinking first :lol:

Did you also join the fun at the bowling club MH? A lot of people reckon the bowls'n'beer event is the highlight of Easter!

No I didn't. If you saw a tall bloke wearing the old red and white vertical stripes TW guearsey that was me. Did you play in any events?

I don't play - just go along in a support role
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby GWW » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:13 pm

As a kid, I played in country tournaments in Streaky Bay, which I think was over Easter. Plus I think Arno Bay as well. These days, Lucindale seem to have a fairly popular Easter tournament.

Its quite amazing how many future League footballers I saw back in the early 80's who I saw play in junior tennis tournaments, including over on the Eyre Peninsula - Justin Staritski, Rick McGowan, plus Jason Spehr who I also saw playing at Goodwood whilst watching my brother play there circa 1980. Used to also see Jack Cahill watching his son Darren there; incidentally I think I saw Fromberg there playing there (Goodwood) back then, in addition to one or 2 other players who ultimately made a career on the professional tennis circuit.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:54 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Asktheoracle wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:I played a few years in the gawler and district comp but A's we moved to the city I now play in the Woodville district association.

I remember playing ALOT of my junior tennis in the G&D comp and its really sad to not hear much about the competition anymore. We had stacks of great young talent playing then and some went over to america to pursue further, although never quite made it, but all in all, a great achievement to attend academy scholarships etc.
It seems now that most gifted/talented players are heading straight into the city.
Do we need to get the "McDonalds Coaching Clinics" back up and running?
Are the Rep sides still up and running. I used to love playing and heading off to Mildura ect - Good memories and met lots of great people and friends!

Yep the gawler league is now done. They merged with the barossa league about 2-3 seasons ago. IIRC the league survived for about 1 or 2 seasons when I last played in 2006. It's sad really coz there were some great players throughout the league. We even managed to get Mick kinnaer back to play for two wells which pretty much won us the grand final against Mallala. Any1 that doesn't know him he was on the sataliete tour and during his hay day only lost one singles match when the gawler league was at it's strongest! In regards to the mildura comp not sure if it still goes ahead now but it def was around back in 2006.

Would that be Mick Kinnear who now plays cricket for Riverside in the Para Districts Comp
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby country nomad » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:09 pm

The Southern Flinders Tennis Association seems to be one tennis association that is bucking the trend with good numbers still around. a 14 team comp and in recent years teams from struggling neighbouring associations joining. Going to tennis on Saturday afternoon is almost an event like going to country footy. It's a day out rather than just a game of tennis. Most of the clubs have something worth going along for. Morchard and their after match teas, Pekina and their hot afternoon teas and all the other clubs with their social nature...it really is a great day out.
country nomad

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby bennymacca » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Old thread, but I thought I might fire it up again with the season approaching. I play Wednesday night in the Barossa and light league. The night tennis comp seems to still be of a half decent standard, but the Saturday comp is just about wrecked now. I don't play anymore, and play cricket instead, but in the last ten years it has gone from 4 divisions across each two associations to a single combined Barossa/Gawler league with just two divisions.

I used to love playing in all of the junior country carnival and development squads, no idea of much of that is still going.

Anyone play in the Barossa? @country nomad
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:Old thread, but I thought I might fire it up again with the season approaching. I play Wednesday night in the Barossa and light league. The night tennis comp seems to still be of a half decent standard, but the Saturday comp is just about wrecked now. I don't play anymore, and play cricket instead, but in the last ten years it has gone from 4 divisions across each two associations to a single combined Barossa/Gawler league with just two divisions.

I used to love playing in all of the junior country carnival and development squads, no idea of much of that is still going.

Anyone play in the Barossa? @country nomad

I used to play Seniors in Gawler. My first year in 2004/05 there were 5 divs. MY last season in Gawler in 06/07 there were 4 divs. They changed from grass in 03 I think which was disappointing to miss out on. Back in the day though I remember playing juniors and going with Dad to watch him play when they had 12 lawn courts and about 8 divisions! I've heard the standard is poor now.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Yeah there are two combined Barossa and Gawler divisions. It's pretty disappointing.

Barossa night tennis is arguably the best it has been though. Seems that's what people want to play
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:56 am

I'm heading up to Jamestown on Sunday to play in our inter association match. We (Mid North) will play against Southern Flinders, Broughton, Whyalla and Northern Areas all matches being straight doubles to 9. 12 men and 12 women playing a total of 12 sets against each association. Should be a good day and am looking forward to it.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Tennis