Country Tennis

Country Tennis

Postby country nomad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:10 am

Seems to be lots of cricket talk and a fair bit of other stuff, all on a footy chat web site. What about any chatter or gossip about country tennis?
country nomad

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Re: Tennis

Postby GWW » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm

I've played country tennis in the past, but haven't for a while now (played a bit when moving to the city, but not anymore).

What Assocations have you played in country nomad?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Re: Country Tennis

Postby country nomad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Southern Flinders, Pirie, Augusta, Coro Valley in the Hills a really long time ago. I love the game and there are lot of pretty good players around the place and always some great yarns.
country nomad

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm

I played a few years in the gawler and district comp but A's we moved to the city I now play in the Woodville district association.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby GWW » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:37 pm

country nomad wrote: I love the game and there are lot of pretty good players around the place and always some great yarns.

Yeah there is. Have you played in the January Country Carnival at Memorial Drive before? I remember going along to watch as a kid, the competition was pretty strong in the 80's. Quite often there would be professional players hitting up and wondering around for the Rio International.

Last few years I've gone along again to watch family members play. Only played in the comp once or twice going back a few years ago now.
GWW

Postby country nomad » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:41 am

I've been to country carnival many times both as a player in junior and senior ranks and more recently as a parent watching my son come up through the ranks. Tennis actually consumes our lives with lots of running around for the lad. Tournaments in Adelaide and lots of inter-association and club games to see to.

Big week coming up in Pirie. Lots of quality tennis with the Pirie Classic for men and women. In the Men Andrew Eblen was here last year and he's now in the top 100. Luke Saville came the year before for memory. On the women's side there have been a number of young players visit who have gone on to massive things. A couple have actually reached the top of the pile and lots of names that we are familiar with as tennis fans.

Action starts this weekend and goes right through the week and concluding with finals next weekend. It's fully catered and most importantly there is free entry. Not something that is often available with elite level sport.
country nomad

Postby Asktheoracle » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:16 pm

mighty hounds wrote:I played a few years in the gawler and district comp but A's we moved to the city I now play in the Woodville district association.

I remember playing ALOT of my junior tennis in the G&D comp and its really sad to not hear much about the competition anymore. We had stacks of great young talent playing then and some went over to america to pursue further, although never quite made it, but all in all, a great achievement to attend academy scholarships etc.
It seems now that most gifted/talented players are heading straight into the city.
Do we need to get the "McDonalds Coaching Clinics" back up and running?
Are the Rep sides still up and running. I used to love playing and heading off to Mildura ect - Good memories and met lots of great people and friends!
Asktheoracle
Mini-League

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I used to play A Grade tennis for Cobdogla, before the knees got shot to bits. They are part of the Riverland Lawn Tennis Association and for a town of 500, they take out the title nearly every year. Luke Saville's club and also Shannon Nettle, who played on the satellite tour for a few years and now works as a coach with the AIS. Very good tennis club and great people involved. Used to play in the country carnival a bit when i was younger.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby country nomad » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Absolutely. Tennis SA are not good with their dispersal of funding. Country kids get very little opportunity. The only things are Country Carnival and Foundation Cups. The Foundation Cup has just been played in Pt Lincoln but word is that it will be scrapped. Tennis SA really need to look carefully at what they do. There must be enough in the pot to set up some regional centres of excellence and put some of these gun coaches onto a roster to foster this talent. As you say, lots of it around and always has been in places like Pirie, Barossa, Gawler, Hills, SE and Riverland. For mine too much gets spent on things like the WTC, which is a good thing but we really need to develop and promote the sport.
Saturday afternoon tennis is country footy's equivalent to the true family day out. Give these kids something to play for!!!
country nomad

Postby GWW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:03 pm

I watched a bit of the recent state country under 13's tournament in Port Lincon earlier this month as my niece was playing in it. Was very impressed with the standard.
GWW

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Well I've been a tennis player since I was about 7 or 8 and have played all my games for Long Plains TC in the Lower North Association. Our league over the past 2-3 seasons had weakened quite considerably and a few months ago the league was put into recess. Our tennis club has now joined the Mid North association which covers the Clare Valley and surroundings. We have been put in Div 1 so will be interesting to see how we go in a much stronger league (17 teams over both divisions).
I'm still probably a month away from having a hit due to my still recovering broken hand, but I love playing tennis and am very much looking forward to playing in this new league playing against players I've never seen before. I know I will enjoy the challenge and will probably lose more games than normal (lost 2 games over the last 4 seasons) due to better opposition, but I think that will be a good thing and will only improve my game. My doubles partner and I are very proud of the fact we havn't lost a doubles match since the 01/02 season, but I expect that run to come to an end pretty soon which might even make us turn up to practice so it never happens again! 8)
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby country nomad » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 am

We have a 15 team competition in the Southern Flinders. No divisions until the finals when top four contest A Grade and next four contest B Grade. Competitive but still very social with the traditional afternoon tea supplied by the home team. Lots of travel too with teams from Orroroo, Pekina, Morchard, Wilmington to Pt Germein and Laura and just about every little town in between. The comp seems to run pretty smoothly most years and it is a great family day out. Pekina joined the comp last year and took out the top honours in their debut year. Lots of good young talent emerging in the comp too and it seems to be a very healthy association at the present time.
country nomad

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Asktheoracle wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:I played a few years in the gawler and district comp but A's we moved to the city I now play in the Woodville district association.

I remember playing ALOT of my junior tennis in the G&D comp and its really sad to not hear much about the competition anymore. We had stacks of great young talent playing then and some went over to america to pursue further, although never quite made it, but all in all, a great achievement to attend academy scholarships etc.
It seems now that most gifted/talented players are heading straight into the city.
Do we need to get the "McDonalds Coaching Clinics" back up and running?
Are the Rep sides still up and running. I used to love playing and heading off to Mildura ect - Good memories and met lots of great people and friends!

Yep the gawler league is now done. They merged with the barossa league about 2-3 seasons ago. IIRC the league survived for about 1 or 2 seasons when I last played in 2006. It's sad really coz there were some great players throughout the league. We even managed to get Mick kinnaer back to play for two wells which pretty much won us the grand final against Mallala. Any1 that doesn't know him he was on the sataliete tour and during his hay day only lost one singles match when the gawler league was at it's strongest! In regards to the mildura comp not sure if it still goes ahead now but it def was around back in 2006.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby country nomad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 pm

The 22nd edition of the Port Pirie International Tennis Classic is currently under way. Qualifying has been underway since Saturday and the main draws start tomorrow. Quality tennis and great free entertainment. If you are in or around Pirie over the next few days, then why not call in and have a bit of a look.

For us country hacks the weather is looming as a threat...yet again. Hopefully we'll be able to get out and play a full day's tennis.
country nomad

Postby country nomad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Big derby this weekend at Port Germein with the Sharks taking on the Crabs. Worth going to watch the two number 1 men go head to head. 13 yr old Daniel Hobart taking on his good mate and doubles partner Adam Olsen. The pair have never played and with the two knowing each other's game so well it should be a cracker. Barbie tea after with plenty of the normal refreshment, so it should be a great day out, with some great tennis in store too.
country nomad

Postby country nomad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:44 pm

8 of Sa's finest country 13 & under players are in Sydney at the moment representing their state in the Be Active (Girls) and Foundation Cups (Boys). Reports are that the girls are struggling a bit but the boys are going great guns. They took it right up to Victoria with SA number 1, Daniel Hobart creating a bit of history by defeating the Vic number one - a first for an SA player in the event's history. The SA boys defeated Tasmania in the second round and at the moment are comepting against WA.
country nomad

Postby country nomad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:36 pm

New tennis season up and running. Southern Flinders Tennis Association is set for another big season. 14 team competition. Who will be the team to beat?
country nomad

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Arguably the best country tournament is the Melrose Easter event. The courts are within sight of the caravan park, camping grounds, the general store and two pubs. Players come from all over the state and it is full on from junior boys and girls to A grade mens and womens and seniors. Its a four-day swim through. I go every year and wouldn't miss it.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby mighty hounds » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:32 am

Sky Pilot wrote:Arguably the best country tournament is the Melrose Easter event. The courts are within sight of the caravan park, camping grounds, the general store and two pubs. Players come from all over the state and it is full on from junior boys and girls to A grade mens and womens and seniors. Its a four-day swim through. I go every year and wouldn't miss it.

I went to Melrose this year. Our tennis club have been going up for years (Henley South). Tennis was second though, drinking first :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:54 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:Arguably the best country tournament is the Melrose Easter event. The courts are within sight of the caravan park, camping grounds, the general store and two pubs. Players come from all over the state and it is full on from junior boys and girls to A grade mens and womens and seniors. Its a four-day swim through. I go every year and wouldn't miss it.

I went to Melrose this year. Our tennis club have been going up for years (Henley South). Tennis was second though, drinking first :lol:

Did you also join the fun at the bowling club MH? A lot of people reckon the bowls'n'beer event is the highlight of Easter!
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Tennis