First 4 tennis

First 4 tennis

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:28 am

So next week will see the debut of fast 4 tennis, which is basically the T20 equivalent of tennis.

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2014/11/2 ... for-sydney

The main rule changes are first to 4 games wins, tiebreak at 3 all, advantage deuce, no lets.

It is an interesting concept and may help to bring in casual fans that get bored watching 4 hours of tennis.

Personally I don't think it will work in the way T20 has for cricket. Part of the allure of T20 is because of the shortened time at the crease players can go harder which ramps the entertainment level up. In tennis I'm not really sure that translates. You kinda have to go flat out the whole time. I mean sure sometimes you might conserve energy when two breaks down in a set to get ready for the next one, but that is a fair bit different to being able to slog every ball.

A good game of tennis is sport in its purest form. The perfect combination of skill, fitness, mind games, momentum, etc. moving to a shorter format loses a lot of that. You lose a lot of that in cricket too, but that is massively offset by hitting huge sixes.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: First 4 tennis

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 am

That should read fast 4 too btw
bennymacca
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:08 pm

I'd be happy to watch this. I love tennis and am spewing I can't get to the Aus Open this year. A knockout one day tournament with the top 8 or 16 players would be great viewing.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:45 am

RustyCage wrote:I'd be happy to watch this. I love tennis and am spewing I can't get to the Aus Open this year. A knockout one day tournament with the top 8 or 16 players would be great viewing.

true, but that djokovic wawrinka semi last year or the year before was some of the best sport i have ever watched. can't match that.
bennymacca
Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Tennis