TIVO

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

TIVO

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:42 pm

TIVO

does anyone have it?

is it worth getting?

cheers
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11938 times
Been liked: 3639 times

Re: TIVO

Postby zipzap » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:06 pm

The concept of Tivo is good (well, if you are someone who thinks there is still anything decent to watch on the regular free-to-air channels) but I get the impression there are other devices out there that offer more features for cheaper.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:26 pm

The thing that worried me was that, since the retailer said they couldn't answer my questions as they didn't know I made an enquiry via their web site about the rather small HDD and whether it was user replaceable or had to be replaced by them. I also asked whether I could plug an external USB drive into it.
They wouldn't answer the first question beyond pointing out they would not support user modifications.
They addressed the second by saying that it will only accept one specific external unit - a specific Western Digital one I think it was.
Since then I've read a report that after a power failure you have to reinstall the external unit so it can identify that it is the right one.
It starts to sound like Mac computers to me - very locked in th their system, and at their financial mercy - ha ha...
I've decided to go somewhere else - probably for the Panasonic DVD and HDD combination recorder with twin digital tuners.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dissident » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:50 pm

I went the same option Psyber, 500GB Blu-Ray Twin tuner.
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:35 pm

I'll be in the market soon as the standard def hard drive is outdated with our new high def plasma. Don't need a Blu Ray or DVD player or recorder but purely and simply a hard drive recorder for HD.
Want at least 500gb space preferably 1tb but haven't seen a lot of value around and was now even considering a media centre pc.
Any recommendations?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dissident » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:11 pm

You'll thank yourself later though, when you either want to :

- Watch a Blu-ray movie (sensational)
- Take something off the drive and keep it somewhere else

Maybe you won't see yourself doing those things in the near future... but really, blur-ray is where it's going (it's tkaen up quicker than DVD at the same point) so why not get one now.

And even if you don't treat it as a blu-ray "recorder" - it will play your blu-ray discs so it's a player too.
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Dissident wrote:You'll thank yourself later though, when you either want to :

- Watch a Blu-ray movie (sensational)
- Take something off the drive and keep it somewhere else

Maybe you won't see yourself doing those things in the near future... but really, blur-ray is where it's going (it's tkaen up quicker than DVD at the same point) so why not get one now.

And even if you don't treat it as a blu-ray "recorder" - it will play your blu-ray discs so it's a player too.

I don't want one, my sound system that isn't even in my house yet has a blu ray player, I want a hard drive recorder, nothing more nothing less.
I NEVER want to take something of the drive and keep it somewhere else, I previously had a DVD recorder and it was as useful as tits on a boar pig and got replaced by something that was $750 less.
Already got a standard def one and its done exactly what I want it to do, now I want a high def version.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dissident » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:09 am

That's cool, no worries.
I like keeping things elsewhere or taking them somewhere else to watch. And generally keeping the hard drive clear, that's all.

I also use it (a lot) for converting old VHS tapes to DVD, which would be pointless if I couldn't burn with the recorder.
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:43 am

*bump*

Got one now they've got everything we want, I hardly watch TV but the missus will thrash it.
Pros?
Cons?

We have the network wireless adaptor and wi get the 1tb extension when needed.
Seems just like a Foxtel IQ2 (which is what we wanted) and a lot easier to operate than other stuff we've had.
Were with internode too which offers free downloads for Tivos but are the movies worth getting, how much do they cost?
Also interested in streaming stuff from my PC but will have to test out the speed of that first.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets