Match of the round ....Vodaphone Vs 3 mobile

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Match of the round ....Vodaphone Vs 3 mobile

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:49 pm

ok. my partner and are in the market for a $29 plan. Our phones are now sh###it

the best plans i can find are from 3 and vodaphone...

problem is who's side am i on, vodaphone or 3.

both plans are almost identical, call rates and all. I'm keen on the samsung jet and the missus Nokia X6. both offer this phone. free calls to each other, both offer this! both include $150 of credit a month. So very similar. everything seems the same

so it comes down to coverage i guess, can anyone add any insights?

who wins?
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Match of the round ....Vodaphone Vs 3 mobile

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:22 pm

I've been with 3 for about 3 years, I travel a fair bit in the country and have very rarely had trouble with reception, I can only recall 2 occasions (both on EP) that the work Telstra phone had coverage and I didn't.

My daughter's phone is with vodafone, outside of Adelaide the coverage is sparse at best, if her $30 pre paid didn't last for 12 months hers would be with 3 as well.

3 and vodafone have amalgamated, I've heard that within 12 - 24 months both brands will operate from all of their towers as well as Telstras (as 3 does now)
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Ian wrote:I've been with 3 for about 3 years, I travel a fair bit in the country and have very rarely had trouble with reception, I can only recall 2 occasions (both on EP) that the work Telstra phone had coverage and I didn't.

My daughter's phone is with vodafone, outside of Adelaide the coverage is sparse at best, if her $30 pre paid didn't last for 12 months hers would be with 3 as well.

3 and vodafone have amalgamated, I've heard that within 12 - 24 months both brands will operate from all of their towers as well as Telstras (as 3 does now)

cheers ian, good insight
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Johno6 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Im also with 3... and i reccomend anyone else.

thjey have stuffed me around alot..
i always have problems with their phones, there phone help service is shocking.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:38 am

Johno6 wrote:i always have problems with their phones, there phone help service is shocking.

the only phones we have had trouble with has been the missus's that went for a swim, and the son's phone that has had the screen broken twice, niether the fault of 3.

If you need them you do end up talking to India, but after my recent dealings with Telstra (talking to Australians) I would go as far as saying that 3's back up is better. The one time I couldn't get my message through I went into a store and got them to sort it out while I was there.
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:34 am

I've been with 3 for at least 7 years after previously trying Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone.
You have a choice of phones like other companies so as long as you do your homework this won't differ between carriers.
I currently have 4 phones/accounts with Three, their value is awesome and as long as you don't mind talking to people with an Indian accent Ive always found the service great. I doubt Ill ever change barring major changes.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Psyber » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm in the process of moving my mobile service to the Slimtel VIP plan. Slimtel runs on the Vodafone network so the merger is good timing.
http://www.slimtel.com.au/index.php?v=Home
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Brucetiki » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:16 pm

I've been with 3 for my mobile for over 4 years and their phone service is fantastic. Only issue I had was when my last contract expired they tried to charge a $900 contract cancellation fee (even though I completed the full 24 months). However, one phone call and it was fixed within 10 minutes.

When I moved into my own house in September, I decided to go with 3 for my mobile broadband. Took about 4 months to get anything above dial-up speed on it for some reason. Now it works fine (and comparable to other mobile broadband providers such as Bigpond). Again, they tried to charge a $400 contract cancellation fee when all I did was change to a higher usage plan (which was again immediately corrected once I advised them of the error).

I've found their customer service, both in store and in their call centres to be fantastic.
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby nuggety goodness » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:07 pm

plans are identical because they are the same company now...

interestingly, with the merger the 3 branding will disappear and everything will be Voda branded under VHA (Vodafone Hutchison Australia). this is due to happen before November i think, a lot of the 3 shops have closed and are being transformed. they ALL sell Voda now and it won't be long until the Voda stuff takes over...

i think you'll find there is currently a massive fight for the rights to continue the roaming agreement that Hutch entered into with Telstra and i doubt whether it will actually be carried over to VHA, the agreement was re-signed in 2008 and will run until 2018...

because effectively it will be predominantly Vodafone, if they have the extra coverage then Telstra will have their edge reduced and their prices will have to drop. Not likely!!!

VHA have pumped $500M into the network nationally and are looking to put another $600M over the next 6 months, which to me suggests they are expecting not to be granted the same roaming agreement. this money was to enhance the network and reduce congestion and didn't really extend the coverage range at all...

another interesting point is Hutch have access to the 850Hz bandwidth (the bandwidth that Telstra uses for it's Next G network) and all VHA mobile broadband devices will utilise the 850 bandwidth to reduce the congestion and stress on their network, this will in turn reduce the amount of drop outs and black spots. i don't think they can use it to get the same coverage however, i'm not sure why. i think Telstra has exclusivity for a certain time on the voice component, happy for someone else to provide more details on that one though...

Mobile comms will be changing further in the next 12months... crazy things... glad i'm out of that game now!!!
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:30 am

I've just had another fantastic experience with Three's Customer Care.

This month, I sorta went a bit nuts on the internet and went about 1.9GB over (normally I hover around the 3GB mark - must have been that weekend I spent on YouTube watching It's A Knockout episodes lol). So I got the bill for $284.90 - including $188.90 in excess usage fees (10c/MB). Not sure how much the excess usage fee is, and finding it nowhere on My3 (and my contract is buried somewhere in the spare room), I went on the 3 web site to find any info on excess usage fees. I found a page which said it was 2c/MB. I thought that may be for new customers, but I decided to have a crack at disputing it (at worst, the bill stood, at best I get a healthy rebate). So I call up, and the consultant advises that it's 10c/MB. So I ask why does the website say 2c/MB, and guided the consultant to the page. He pops me on hold for a couple of minutes before returning to say that it's for new customers only, but for this month only they would reduce it to 2c/MB for me. So my $188.90 excess usage fee becomes $37.80 (the difference will cover about 3/4 of my council rates due at the same time as this bill). They did stress that this was a one off, so now I'll be keeping a much closer on usage.
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 am

Brucetiki wrote:I've just had another fantastic experience with Three's Customer Care.

This month, I sorta went a bit nuts on the internet and went about 1.9GB over (normally I hover around the 3GB mark - must have been that weekend I spent on YouTube watching It's A Knockout episodes lol). So I got the bill for $284.90 - including $188.90 in excess usage fees (10c/MB). Not sure how much the excess usage fee is, and finding it nowhere on My3 (and my contract is buried somewhere in the spare room), I went on the 3 web site to find any info on excess usage fees. I found a page which said it was 2c/MB. I thought that may be for new customers, but I decided to have a crack at disputing it (at worst, the bill stood, at best I get a healthy rebate). So I call up, and the consultant advises that it's 10c/MB. So I ask why does the website say 2c/MB, and guided the consultant to the page. He pops me on hold for a couple of minutes before returning to say that it's for new customers only, but for this month only they would reduce it to 2c/MB for me. So my $188.90 excess usage fee becomes $37.80 (the difference will cover about 3/4 of my council rates due at the same time as this bill). They did stress that this was a one off, so now I'll be keeping a much closer on usage.

Yeah I had a similar experience with 3 once with a couple of hundred dollars ripped off my bill.
Got a new phone for my daughter yesterday too, was in and out of the shop within 5 mins, unlike the experience when I helped my old man get a replacement phone with Telstra, took 3 visits and a few hours.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Ian » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:I've just had another fantastic experience with Three's Customer Care.

Yeah I had a similar experience with 3 once with a couple of hundred dollars ripped off my bill.
Got a new phone for my daughter yesterday too, was in and out of the shop within 5 mins, unlike the experience when I helped my old man get a replacement phone with Telstra, took 3 visits and a few hours.

We got a new one for our son last weekend, same thing, all over and done with in about 5 minutes, their in shop service is awesome.

Also his $29 cap now gives $180 calls, unlimited 3 to 3 and Vodafone, free social networking and free news and entertainment on the net, the first 12 months is also only $19 a month.
Ian

Postby Ian » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:44 pm

*Bump*

Ian wrote:

The story has changed a bit if you ask 3/Vodafone staff, today I was told:

-3 will stop using Telstra towers and switch to just 3/Vodafone (was supposed to happen last Sept, no idea when it will happen now)

-Vodafone will increase coverage to match Telstra (I'll believe that when I see it)

-The staff were not sure if the use of Telstra towers will cease before or after Vodafone coverage has been increased to match Telstra

-The name "3" will disappear, it will all be Vodafone

I was about to walk out and visit a Telstra store when the salesperson agreed to add a comment in the contract advising of my concern Re: coverage, and that he assured me that it would remain the same for the contract period,
If 3 won't release me from my contract if the coverage is reduced, the ombudsman will make sure they do with that guarantee
Ian

Postby Ian » Wed May 02, 2012 7:00 pm

I have stayed with 3 for now, as has my son, my daughter and partner have migrated across to Vodafone, Recently I had noticed they were getting better coverage in Adelaide than I was, but when I went to country VIC, NSW, QLD and SA during the last school holidays with my daughter, there was only one place we stayed at in outback QLD that I had no coverage, my daughter on Vodafone had coverage for 5 of 15 nights and 2 of them were in Brisbane.

Yesterday I received and email from 3 advising me of 3 now having access to Vodafone's towers

Hi Ian,

Since we bought 3 and Vodafone together, our key priority has been to build a great service for all our customers across Australia. As a 3 customer in SA, we wanted to let you know about some exciting changes that we’re about to make to your network coverage from the 2nd May 2012.

Here’s what’s coming soon for you:

• When you travel out of a 3 network area and where coverage is available, you will have access to our Vodafone network.

• Connection to Vodafone will happen automatically, however you will continue to get a ‘3’ network signal on your mobile or mobile broadband modem.

• Access to Vodafone will mean that when you are in and around Adelaide and major towns, you will get a ‘3’ signal in locations where previously you may have got a ‘Roaming’ signal.

• You will be able to use the internet (things like checking your Facebook™ or searching on Google™) in more places without ‘Roaming’ and paying data roaming charges.

• On 3 Prepaid? As well as using the internet, when you are in Vodafone coverage you will also be able to make calls on our network without using your credit on roaming charges.

Above all, we want you to be happy with your network coverage in SA. If you have any feedback, we'd like to hear from you. So please email us at network.feedback@vodafone.com.au

Yours sincerely

XXXX XXXXXXXXX
Director of Customer Service and Experience

I was a bit concerned I would loose the "Roaming" (Telstra) towers coverage so I sent a email enquiry, I just received a call (from a Indian) confirming that as well as 3 & Vodafone's towers, I still have access to "Roaming" on the Telstra towers, the only difference is that it wont be automatic now, if I am in the country and have no coverage I will have to manually select "Roaming" as the network provider, then reselect "Automatic when I leave that area, while on roaming only phone calls are included now, anything else will cost extra. I still don't think it is a bad outcome, I have coverage nearly every where still, and now have 2 networks towers in the metro areas, glad I have done the swap to Vodafone yet.
Ian

Postby Dog_ger » Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Forget the rest.

Telstra.

Best coverage. :D

Best everything. :D

When you need it, you got it. :D

No Questions.
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Re: Re: Match of the round ....Vodaphone Vs 3 mobile

Postby smac » Wed May 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Dog_ger wrote:No Questions.

Except... Where's our money?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: Re: Match of the round ....Vodaphone Vs 3 mobile

Postby Dog_ger » Wed May 02, 2012 7:49 pm

smac wrote:
Dog_ger wrote:No Questions.

Except... Where's our money?

Goes to the best coverage and download speed.

Quality must be paid for.

Do you want pidgeon post or Internet speed...?

Do you expect to buy a ford focus for the same price as a Top of the Range, Range Rover...?

Not Likely... :D

Last edited by Dog_ger on Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog_ger
Coach

Postby Ian » Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Dog_ger wrote:Forget the rest.

Telstra.

Best coverage. :D

A an individual carrier undoubtedly, however 3 currently allows me access to 3 towers, Vodafone towers, and in most country areas, "Roaming" which is 3's name for the Telstra towers they use

Dog_ger wrote:Best everything. :D

Not best value, not even close, I would nearly have to double my monthly spend to get from Telstra what I get from 3

Dog_ger wrote:When you need it, you got it. :D

No Questions.

There is still a large chunk of the more remote areas in SA (and other states) that the only way you can get phone coverage is with a sat phone
Ian

Postby Dog_ger » Wed May 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Sorry guys.

For me it's Telstra or pidgeon post.. :D

Fastest internet speed. :D

Telstra has never let me down.

Forget Vodafone, sorry

Metro phone coverage has let me down.

Dog_ger
Coach

Postby Stumps » Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I used to be with 3 they were good. I am now with vodafone they are a disgrace. Coverage terrible.
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets