E-Readers

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: E-Readers

Postby Dirko » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 am

Hooray ! Just received my Kindle 3G/wi-fi, with Orange Leather/Light folder. Most Excellent!!!
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:53 am

Psyber wrote:E-readers slow my reading down enormously.
The speed reading techniques I learned in my Uni days don't work on the bloody things.

Ditto.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dirko » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:10 am

fisho mcspaz wrote:
Psyber wrote:E-readers slow my reading down enormously.
The speed reading techniques I learned in my Uni days don't work on the bloody things.

Ditto.

Slow down and smell the roses....

I too can speed read, but when it's a great book, it's good to slow down and enjoy it then treat it as a text......
Dirko
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:47 am

SJABC wrote: Slow down and smell the roses....
I too can speed read, but when it's a great book, it's good to slow down and enjoy it then treat it as a text......
True, but I tend to do that sort of reading lying in bed before I go to sleep for the night - a paper book is still easier then.
When I'm up I'm usually moving.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dirko » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:53 am

Psyber wrote:a paper book is still easier then.

I thought the same til last night. The e-book was fantastic. No qualms from me at all :)
Dirko
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm

SJABC wrote:
Psyber wrote:a paper book is still easier then.
I thought the same til last night. The e-book was fantastic. No qualms from me at all :)
I tend to put the book on the floor near the bed as my bedside table gets too cluttered.
I'd be a bit worried about walking on an e-reader if I needed a pitstop in the night in my half-awake state. :lol:
Psyber
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:51 pm

BUMP.

'er indoors is keen on getting an e-reader. I imagine it's far cheaper to source a kindle from the USA, possibly from Amazon itself, than it would be to get one locally. Can anyone recommend a good supplier, either here or overseas?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:48 pm

Amazon
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:22 pm

Pseudo wrote:BUMP.

'er indoors is keen on getting an e-reader. I imagine it's far cheaper to source a kindle from the USA, possibly from Amazon itself, than it would be to get one locally. Can anyone recommend a good supplier, either here or overseas?

definitely Amazon direct because then you are on their system and their service is truly awesome. I paid about $154 from memory and the unit arrived in eight days I think. Get the wifi and 3G model and fork out for the leather cover with inbuilt light which costs more but is essential.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Psyber » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 am

I guess these devices make my first edition copy of Dickens' "Household Words" redundant.
I was thinking of selling it anyway, along with the full Grove "Dictionary of Music and Musicians", to help me downsize as I get older.
Psyber
Coach

Postby godoubleblues » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
Pseudo wrote:BUMP.

definitely Amazon direct because then you are on their system and their service is truly awesome. I paid about $154 from memory and the unit arrived in eight days I think. Get the wifi and 3G model and fork out for the leather cover with inbuilt light which costs more but is essential.

agree, I ordered mine on sunday from amazon and had it delivered on friday, great service and an excellent piece of kit
godoubleblues
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby Dirko » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:39 pm

Yeah Pseudo, just go direct through the Amazon store.

Make sure you get the leather cover with inbuilt light. Well worth it for those who read in bed.

I love it! If you're not 100%, I'll bring it to the next game and you can peruse it!
Dirko
Coach

Postby Pat Malone » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Am looking at getting an e-reader myself but wondering if tablets such as ipads, htc tablet etc can do the same job plus much more? What total cost is the Kindle with wifi + 3g + case with light?
Pat Malone
Under 16s

Postby godoubleblues » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Pat Malone wrote:Am looking at getting an e-reader myself but wondering if tablets such as ipads, htc tablet etc can do the same job plus much more? What total cost is the Kindle with wifi + 3g + case with light?

cant remember off the top of my head but have a look at the amazon site, all the info is there
godoubleblues
Coach

Postby Dirko » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Pat Malone wrote:Am looking at getting an e-reader myself but wondering if tablets such as ipads, htc tablet etc can do the same job plus much more? What total cost is the Kindle with wifi + 3g + case with light?

The easiest way to compare tablets like ipad etc to the kindle is to switch of your lights in your computer room load a book up onto your pc screen and start reading. After say 2 - 3 hours of constant reading (which is normal for me), see how your eyes are.

Read a book for that length of time and your eyes are OK. Kindles read like paper and are easy on the eye. They're not backlit, so hence you need a light to read them at night.

The other plus is if your on an international flight so say 24 hours to London via transits etc, the ipad only lasts 10 hours max before you need to charge it. The kindle will last 2 months on one charge! Saves lugging chargers etc in your carry on.

On the Amazon site they wifi/3G is $189 plus cover $59.99 US. Great value IMO. Make sure you get the 3G one too. Don't skimp.

Any other questions sing out :)
Dirko
Coach

Postby Pat Malone » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

SJABC wrote:

The easiest way to compare tablets like ipad etc to the kindle is to switch of your lights in your computer room load a book up onto your pc screen and start reading. After say 2 - 3 hours of constant reading (which is normal for me), see how your eyes are.

Read a book for that length of time and your eyes are OK. Kindles read like paper and are easy on the eye. They're not backlit, so hence you need a light to read them at night.

The other plus is if your on an international flight so say 24 hours to London via transits etc, the ipad only lasts 10 huours max before you need to charge it. The kindle will last 2 months on one charge! Saves lugging chargers etc in your carry on.

On the Amazon site they wifi/3G is $189 plus cover $59.99 US. Great value IMO. Make sure you get the 3G one too. Don't skimp.

Thanks mate, very helpful. I am in Bangkok at the moment and currently travelling so hoping to buy one here and upload some books asap.
So I can use the net on these things just like a tablet or phone? ie email, facebook, fan footy website, amazoon to download books etc.
Pat Malone
Under 16s

Postby godoubleblues » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Pat Malone wrote:
SJABC wrote:

The other plus is if your on an international flight so say 24 hours to London via transits etc, the ipad only lasts 10 huours max before you need to charge it. The kindle will last 2 months on one charge! Saves lugging chargers etc in your carry on.

Thanks mate, very helpful. I am in Bangkok at the moment and currently travelling so hoping to buy one here and upload some books asap.
So I can use the net on these things just like a tablet or phone? ie email, facebook, fan footy website, amazoon to download books etc.

you can use the net but it is very limited in that you dont have a mouse to use and you must navigate using the keypad, I gave it a go and gave up
godoubleblues
Coach

Postby Banker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:05 am

Bump 8)

Now US$79 for the Kindle. And Amazon have released a new colour version (iPad rival) for only US$199....

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-Mult ... 455&sr=1-3
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Dirko » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:23 am

Looks good.

You can buy them at Big W, Woolworths & Dick Smith now too.
Dirko
Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:47 am

just had a read of the adelaidenow storey. Funny part i like was unlike the iPad it doesn't need to be backed up on your computer, then down a few paragraphs it says that it doesn't allow mobile internet access. So in other words you don't need a computer to back it up but you will still need wireless internet access to download content. Don't know why they didn't make a 3g version.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets