Indian Microsoft callers

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Indian Microsoft callers

Postby Johno6 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:18 am

Only reason I have a home phone is for the Back To Base Alarm system, toher wise wouldnt have it.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:51 pm

I have these calls coming in almost monthly. Twice already in August! I have a habit of asking for recipe advice, claiming I am cooking a cheeky vindaloo with basmarti rice and can they help me improve it. One guy actually told me to marinate the beef in ginger, chilli and lemon juice for two days before cooking. It worked by the way.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Interceptor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:I have these calls coming in almost monthly. Twice already in August! I have a habit of asking for recipe advice, claiming I am cooking a cheeky vindaloo with basmarti rice and can they help me improve it. One guy actually told me to marinate the beef in ginger, chilli and lemon juice for two days before cooking. It worked by the way.

Hah good one.
Had a call last night, the conversation was ended pretty abruptly.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Interceptor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:48 am

Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby GWW » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:46 pm

I've started getting these idiots ringing recently.

I don't know how many times I need to hang up before they'll stop calling my number :-??
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Dog_ger wrote:
Psyber wrote:
Dog_ger wrote:I have never had a call from these type of callers.

I dropped my home land line phone 10 years ago.

In todays world, (I presume this only happens on home phone land lines) what are the benifits of a home land line?
1. They work if you don't live in a good mobile reception area, and the local calls are not timed, so cheaper.
2. If you use a phone with a cord, not a wireless handset, you don't increase your risk of getting a brain tumour.
3. They enable you to avoid wireless modems in the house and avoid exposure to high frequency electro-magnetic fields there too.

That said, you can go naked in case 3., and Telstra have pushed up the fee to have the service to offset the benefit of un-timed local calls and push us all to more expensive mobile services by taking away that advantage. Yes, I know some business plans are cheaper but you have to commit to a high monthly subscription and use your mobile for everything to benefit.

I make most of my calls on my VOIP system and avoid using the mobile for anything but brief calls.
The Neurosurgeon, Vini Khurana, advocates only using mobiles, or cordless hand sets, well away from your brain - with a loudspeaker or a cord connected earphone.
[Bluetooth puts an antenna next to your brain too.]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_pho ... and_health

:-o :-o =))

Get Rid of the home line.... :D

I did Dogger and haven't had a call from a sales rep, con man etc, since. And I save about 40 a month on not having a line to the house.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:05 pm

I wonder what would happen if you told them you were using an apple macbook pro and didn't have a Microsoft OS?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Johno6 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:31 pm

they fumble around for a couple of seconds and then hang up....

similar to what they did when i said i havent used my laptop for 6 months when they last rang.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:48 pm

another call the other night, the mrs answers and asked them where they got our number from and wants to speak to the supervisor - they hung up!!!!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11848 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby footy1992 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:32 pm

They are still going about their business! Had our first caller today. I was in the other room when my mum picked up the phone. I could tell staright away by the delay in conversation between her and the caler it wasnt right. She cottoned on straight away herself when they began asking her if she was aware we had malicious software on our computer.

I got her to hand me the phone and put it on loud speaker to have a bit of fun for my holidays! The caller asked for Mr or Mrs ******** and reuested we went to the computer to delete the malicious software infecting our computer. I played along with her until telling her i was doing what she wanted until i could no more. She asked what i could see, and she was told not so politely where to go! I dont think i finished my tirade of abuse before the phone had hung up.

People without computer knowledge could easily be fooled so make sure your family are aware if they arent computer savy! And for those with caller ID, the call came through as a private number...
footy1992
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:06 pm

I don't mind them now. If it's a chick I ask if she is hot, what she is wearing, tell her that I'm wearing nothing. If it's a dude I ask if he is hot, what he is.............

Their newest strategy is to say "This is the federal government calling". On a Sunday afternoon. Lol.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby GWW » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I was getting a lot up until recently when I renewed on Do Not Call Register.

I'm wondering if a lot of people are getting these again because they signed up with the Register about 5 years ago (when it was introduced), and now their status on their is not current.

**then again, maybe these dodgy Microsoft callers aren't covered or take no notice of the Register, I'm not sure..(maybe I stopped getting calls because I left my phone off the hook for about 3 weeks because I was sick of them).
GWW

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:35 pm

GWW wrote:I was getting a lot up until recently when I renewed on Do Not Call Register.

I'm wondering if a lot of people are getting these again because they signed up with the Register about 5 years ago (when it was introduced), and now their status on their is not current.

**then again, maybe these dodgy Microsoft callers aren't covered or take no notice of the Register, I'm not sure..(maybe I stopped getting calls because I left my phone off the hook for about 3 weeks because I was sick of them).

They would have to be covered by the register only people allowed to call are government departments and they state that they are exempt from the register. All my phones both fixed and mobile have been registered since day 1 and renewed as well and the only unsolicited call I have received was from the Bureau of Statistics wanting to know my travel habits for the past 12 months
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:33 am

Dog_ger wrote:I have never had a call from these type of callers.

I dropped my home land line phone 10 years ago.

In todays world, (I presume this only happens on home phone land lines) what are the benifits of a home land line?

My home line is free since I blocked everything else other than local calls - my son is pi$$ed I cut his free calls off so quickly.

I showed him a phone book the other day - he said he'd seen one of those in a movie - its an instrument of torture isnt it dad?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 am

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Their newest strategy is to say "This is the federal government calling". On a Sunday afternoon. Lol.

or before 10am, or after 3pm...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Kahuna » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Just got another call from "the Windows Maintenance Department".
Spoke to a "supervisor" as the original caller got confused when I offered my credit card details before she ran thru her spiel
About 15 seconds into the conversation it deteriorated to the point where he abused and swore at ME!
He made reference to what I should be doing with certain parts of my anatomy and any other available gentleman.
I told him I had just done that and was now enjoying a cigarette and re oiling.
He went on and on and was quite distressed.
It made me wonder if these people are in fact patsys who actually believe they are providing a legitimate service and are bemused and offended by some of the responses they get.
If that is the case,calm down Mohindra,I apologise and have put my (wifes) pants back on.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby GWW » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:34 pm

I had another one call me last night. I just tell them from the start where to go and I know that they're a fraud, under the premise that this is the most likely way of getting them to stop calling my number.

Wishful thinking I'm sure.
GWW

Postby kickinit » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:03 pm

I've only had one phone call they haven't called back since I told them I have a Mac
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Johno6 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 am

i unplugged my phone from the wall about a month ago

havent had a call from them since.............
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Postby GWW » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:48 am

I've done that in the past too, only reason I hooked my landline back up again is that my parents ring me on my landline instead of my mobile.

If I get another of these "Microsoft" calls again, I'll probably consider unplugging my landline again.
GWW

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets