New TVs - LCD/PLASMA/LED both HD+3D

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: New TVs - LCD/PLASMA/LED both HD+3D

Postby Alaska » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:56 pm

kickinit wrote:The difference between full HD and HD is full will play in 1080p and HD will play up to 720p. The full HD will give a better picture when playing in 1080p. But in saying that if your not going to buy a blu ray player and watch blu rays or have foxtel HD then there's really no point in paying for the Full HD

So would this be the reason that my main TV that is only HD and has Foxtel HD doesn’t show the full screen (including scores)?
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Dog_ger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:54 pm

Westsider wrote:I will never buy a 3D TV. Stupid money making gimmick.

Never is a very long time, "Wise One"....

Do you have solar blue tooth in your car...?

What..... :shock:

Yes, Solar Blue Tooth. No Wires. :D

Powered by the sun.... :D

3D will only get Better.

4D, 5D, etc..... :D

Technology is about to explode.... :D

Get your credit cards out.... ;)
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby dedja » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:24 pm

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby kickinit » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Alaska wrote:
kickinit wrote:The difference between full HD and HD is full will play in 1080p and HD will play up to 720p. The full HD will give a better picture when playing in 1080p. But in saying that if your not going to buy a blu ray player and watch blu rays or have foxtel HD then there's really no point in paying for the Full HD

So would this be the reason that my main TV that is only HD and has Foxtel HD doesn’t show the full screen (including scores)?

no you should be able to adjust that in your settings.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby kickinit » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Dog_ger wrote:
Westsider wrote:I will never buy a 3D TV. Stupid money making gimmick.

Never is a very long time, "Wise One"....

Do you have solar blue tooth in your car...?

What..... :shock:

Yes, Solar Blue Tooth. No Wires. :D

Powered by the sun.... :D

3D will only get Better.

4D, 5D, etc..... :D

Technology is about to explode.... :D

Get your credit cards out.... ;)

well at the moment if you want to best quality picture you can get then you will be getting a 3d tv. a lot of people are buying 3d tv because of the fact that majority of them are 200hz.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Media Park » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:47 pm

42 inch full hd 3d leds under $1000. 3d now more commonplace. Not going anywhere
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Alaska » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:49 pm

So to help me and hopefully GWW what is it with the "200hz" thing?
Alaska
League - Best 21

Postby Media Park » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:02 pm

200 frames per second refresh rate
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby kickinit » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:53 pm

picture is definitely a lot better to the point you will be able to spot it out in the shop. not all 3d tv are 200hz some are still 100hz.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Psyber » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:14 pm

If it helps anyone to make a comparison...
That means a 200Hz refresh is equivalent to what is called a 5 millisecond refresh if you are buying a computer monitor instead of a TV.
(100Hz = 10 msec.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby GWW » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:29 pm

I've had a look in "The Good Guys", the emos ("JB Hifi"), and "Dick Smith", within the last week or so, as I'm thinking of selling my tv and PVR to my parents (and buying a new tv with recording/playback capability, including maybe a set top box or small PVR), so they can put it one of their other rooms where they have a tv (they're still looking at buying a new one for their lounge room).

The Good Guys seemed to have a fairly small range, JB HiFi had a bit more but nothing that stood out.

Dick Smith had a few I was possibly interested in, but they don't tend to negotiate for cash payment option, but instead offer some special unique type of warranty, which is exclusive to Dick Smith customers apparently. They said they may throw in some type of cable or something, not sure if I need it though (dependent on whether what I bought from them 3 years ago is suitable technology).

What I didn't like about Dick Smith was dodgy marketing - firstly a sign proclaiming "interest free", but then an asterix signifying a $40 yearly fee; also they had another sign in a certain grouping of display TVs, advertising a certain benefit if the TV had a cost of over $700 - but all the TVs in that area were well below $700.

JB HiFi guy wasn't bad, but I came out of their store more confused than When I went in there. I had hoped I would be able to buy a TV with recording capability (including recording one show, watching another at same time), but soon learnt I'd need to purchase a PVR or set top box (apparently with those though I would need a USB?? Stick, and recording capability is limited), to do that. I reckon they seemed fairly keen to provide a discount for cash, I didn't purchase though, as he left me with a bit too much to think about.

So I might do a bit more browsing in the shops in the next week or so.

Someone from work mentioned to me about a "Sony" store in Adelaide, I looked it up, its in Grenfell St, anyone been in there before. Website appeared to have limited information, but I'm hoping/thinking staff there may have a good grasp of their products, and may possibly be a little cheaper.

Radio Rentals I think I'll stay clear of; I would probably usually stay clear of Harvey Norman too, but I may have a look there.

The main thing I'm wanting to do is get a relatively inexpensive TV - with a fairly reputable brand name - as well a PVR (or set top box) to enable me to record a show while I'm watching another. My current TV - a "Vivo" (Dick Smith brand) - is ok, but I've had a fair few problems with the DGTEC brand name PVR. I'm not sure if it was how they were both set up - or whether the 2 types of products don't work well in conjunction - but quite often the tuner on the PVR goes faulty - reception goes blank, and shows don't record, or if it does record, it stutters big time", so I'm fairly keen to get a decent recording set up going.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:21 pm

GWW wrote:
Someone from work mentioned to me about a "Sony" store in Adelaide, I looked it up, its in Grenfell St, anyone been in there before. Website appeared to have limited information, but I'm hoping/thinking staff there may have a good grasp of their products, and may possibly be a little cheaper.

Sony store = over priced. Don't count on the staff being too informative either.

What size tv are you looking for?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby GWW » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks, I might give that store a miss then.

I'm not looking for a large tv, probably only about 2 or 3 sizes up from the smallest size (not sure what cm/inch size that is, maybe 55cm or slightly bigger).
GWW

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:01 pm

55cm is very small these days. Have to sit pretty close to it. At least go for a 32" 81cm, then you can get full HD, and have a decent screen size. Should be able to get a Sony or Samsung with all the bells and whistles for 600-650.

I'm getting this bad boy installed next Saturday.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/Mitsubishi_HC4000_1080P_Home_Theatre_Projector.html
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Alaska » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 am

GWW I have just gone through the same process although with different requirements.
On Saturday I purchased a 32” LG Full HD TV and a LG Blu Ray player both with USB access.

I deliberately bought the same brand for the compatibility issues. Once I decided on the 32” I looked at all the displays and though that the LG had the best picture. I did not look at Sony due to price but I have one of those as the main TV and it has been fantastic (except it doesn’t show the full screen with Foxtel NFL) this is the second TV principally for watching DVD’s. I have bought some of the cheaper Chinese brands in the past but have been let down. I was very interested in the Kogan site but the TV’s I were interested in were not available until mid-February and I will be convalescing in front of this one for a while starting in early Feb.
I had similar experiences with retailers although once I had made my decision on which TV I went to the Good Guys and they were great to get a deal with.
Alaska
League - Best 21

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 am

Just remember you get what you pay for, and there are no compatibility issues between tvs and player.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 am

On compatability I deliberately buy stuff from different makers these days. I used to run into a shit load of problems because devices were made by the same company and have a lot less issues with stuff from different companies.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:50 am

With hdmi, it's normally a crappy build.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am

Nah never had a HDMI issue.
Mind you I probably do have crappy builds, I just keep plugging shit in until the ex stops talking then I leave the room and get on my pc.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby GWW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm a technological/IT dunce, so I got a technician to install my PVR (at the same time he did some other small jobs for me as well). I'm not sure if its something to do with the way he set the PVR up - one particular channel, ONE, hasn't really been tuned properly - or a compatibility issue - but I have had regular problems with recording/play back.

I haven't had as many problems in recent weeks, so I may hold off buying a new tv/DVD player..but I did read today that there is going to be some discounts beyond the traditional post xmas sales, so that may tempt me to keep looking for a bargain or 2.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/money/dun ... 6549084662
GWW

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets