New TVs - LCD/PLASMA/LED both HD+3D

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: New TVs - LCD/PLASMA/LED both HD+3D

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm

GWW wrote:
Someone from work mentioned to me about a "Sony" store in Adelaide, I looked it up, its in Grenfell St, anyone been in there before. Website appeared to have limited information, but I'm hoping/thinking staff there may have a good grasp of their products, and may .

Don't know if you will have any luck there, the landlord has shut their doors...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby kickinit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:59 pm

pretty sure sony has stopped making tv or are going to stop making tv.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Sony will make tvs for as long as they exist. Probably one of the few things they make money on.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am

Got my projector and screen installed on Saturday, as well as the surround speaker wire hidden away. The picture is amazing. Had to go with a 95inch screen, as anything bigger would be too hard to take in the picture. Threw every type of media at the projector and it all looks incredible. Even SD DVD upscaled looks good. For anyone serious about HT, consider doing it. Especially when you consider the price of good quality big screen TVs.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:19 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Got my projector and screen installed on Saturday, as well as the surround speaker wire hidden away. The picture is amazing. Had to go with a 95inch screen, as anything bigger would be too hard to take in the picture. Threw every type of media at the projector and it all looks incredible. Even SD DVD upscaled looks good. For anyone serious about HT, consider doing it. Especially when you consider the price of good quality big screen TVs.

Any lighting issues? All the projector set ups I've seen have struggled with anything other than a really dark room
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Have placed curtains on the windows, which blocks plenty of light, so no problem in that area. I'm sure a lot of people are put off projectors when they see a poor set up.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby kickinit » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:22 pm

I've never like projectors. Yeh you can get bigger screen then tv's but I'm still to this day to see one that has a better picture quality then an 200hz LED
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Then you haven't seen a good one setup properly.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby kickinit » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 pm

So no store in Adelaide has a good one setup properly? I just think there too dull I like more of a glossy picture
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Sound and vision in Adelaide if you want to see a home theater projector setup right. Or any cinema. ;-)

Film isn't meant to be glossy. When you look outside it isn't glossy. If you like an unnatural picture then stick with the glossy picture.

Just a heads up. There is no visible difference between 100 hz and 200 hz. If you can see it then you are the only one.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby kickinit » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:03 pm

went to sound and vision, pretty much went to every store in adelaide that had projectors.

See I think having a glossy screen gives you a more true picture then a dull, to me the colours are more true then a dull screen.

yes to the visual eye you can't see any difference between 100hz and 200hz. But the other thing to take into consideration is you can't find 2 tv that have the exact same components in 100hz and 200hz. 200hz will usually have better components with the main one being the panel.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:45 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Have placed curtains on the windows, which blocks plenty of light, so no problem in that area. I'm sure a lot of people are put off projectors when they see a poor set up.

Yeah it could have been poor set ups
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 pm

kickinit wrote:went to sound and vision, pretty much went to every store in adelaide that had projectors.

See I think having a glossy screen gives you a more true picture then a dull, to me the colours are more true then a dull screen.

yes to the visual eye you can't see any difference between 100hz and 200hz. But the other thing to take into consideration is you can't find 2 tv that have the exact same components in 100hz and 200hz. 200hz will usually have better components with the main one being the panel.

Colours aren't dull on a decent projector though. I wouldn't have bought one if I thought the picture was inferior. I like the natural look with a limited amount of "processing". Probably should add the screen I bought is a very good one.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby kickinit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:52 am

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
kickinit wrote:went to sound and vision, pretty much went to every store in adelaide that had projectors.

Colours aren't dull on a decent projector though. I wouldn't have bought one if I thought the picture was inferior. I like the natural look with a limited amount of "processing". Probably should add the screen I bought is a very good one.

I suppose it comes to personnel taste. I've also never like panasonic tv's either for the same reason.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:26 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I agree with Westsider, 3d tv is already on the decline, things that were shown in 3d last year haven't been since because of the ridiculous cost for nothing that is more than a gimmick.
Don't liken it to TV, liken it to smellovision.
TV was/is here to stay, 3d tv will be forgotten or laughed about in 5 years time, in fact, most laugh at it now.

**BOOKMARK**

@gadj1976
@Bully
3D TV Is Now Officially Dead

By Garth Franklin Thursday, January 26th 2017 7:35 am

Just under a decade ago, 3D made a big comeback in cinemas with the likes of “Avatar” showing how to do it right, and “Clash of the Titans” how to do it wrong. It was a novelty that, though still in use today, has long worn out its welcome.

Attempts were made in the TV industry to follow suit and for the early part of this decade, a big selling point of TVs were about their 3D capabilities. Yet interest was muted, and the industry itself has since moved on to the more appealing waters of 4K resolution, high dynamic range color and plasma-quality OLED screens.

Soon brands like Samsung, Verizon, TCL, and Sharp pulled out of making 3D sets due to lackluster sales. 3D TVs have accounted for a diminishing share of US flat-panel TV sales every year since 2012 down to just 16% of new in the last year or so.

This week, LG and Sony have officially announced that they will not be producing any TV sets with 3D technology in 2017. The pair were the last two TV-manufacturers still building their sets with 3D capabilities, which renders the future of 3D TVs officially dead for now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Hehehe, I must admit, I didn't see that coming (pun intended) Wegs.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the inflated prices vs the very high def pictures you can get very very cheaply these days?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets