New TVs - LCD/PLASMA/LED both HD+3D

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

New TVs - LCD/PLASMA/LED both HD+3D

Postby Bully » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:47 pm

just recently bought a samsung 55 inch HD/3D tv. Has anyone else purchased a 3D TV and what are their thoughts?

My thoughts are ....at the present time i dont believe its worth the money for 3D, seen as the only channel broadcast in permanet 3D is channel 201 on foxtel. Its mostly all USA collage football and a bit of tennis. I know there are 3D tvs out that you can switch a normal 2d broadcast to 3D anytime but they are around 3000 at the moment. Also getting a fair bit of ghosting watching 3D. (when i have the glasses on you see a ghost figure in the picture of characters in the distant picture). They way to fix this is to adjust the tunning of the brightness in the 3D mode, but its still visible, and is bit of a turn off for 3D at the moment. But still good to see TV in 3D tho :D

There is a 3D TV out at the moment worth about $20,000 that you dont need the glasses to wear, but who has that much to spend on Tvs
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: New TVs - LCD/PLASMA/LED both HD+3D

Postby Westsider » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:26 pm

I will never buy a 3D TV. Stupid money making gimmick.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bully » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Westsider wrote:I will never buy a 3D TV. Stupid money making gimmick.

just like no one wanted to by a TV when they came out 40 years ago etc. All TVs will eventually be 3D. So you will have to one day....if your still around at that stage. I didnt want one but can see the light
Bully
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:01 pm

I agree with Westsider, 3d tv is already on the decline, things that were shown in 3d last year haven't been since because of the ridiculous cost for nothing that is more than a gimmick.
Don't liken it to TV, liken it to smellovision.
TV was/is here to stay, 3d tv will be forgotten or laughed about in 5 years time, in fact, most laugh at it now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Wedgie wrote:I agree with Westsider, 3d tv is already on the decline, things that were shown in 3d last year haven't been since because of the ridiculous cost for nothing that is more than a gimmick.
TV was/is here to stay, 3d tv will be forgotten or laughed about in 5 years time, in fact, most laugh at it now.

**BOOKMARK**
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby kickinit » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:I agree with Westsider, 3d tv is already on the decline, things that were shown in 3d last year haven't been since because of the ridiculous cost for nothing that is more than a gimmick.

According to adelaidenow they are on the decline because it cost the tv stations too much to run a 3D channel. There are currently more 3D movies being made then 2D due to rumours that the next iPad will be 3D.

Bully wrote:just recently bought a samsung 55 inch HD/3D tv. Has anyone else purchased a 3D TV and what are their thoughts?

My thoughts are ....at the present time i dont believe its worth the money for 3D, seen as the only channel broadcast in permanet 3D is channel 201 on foxtel. Its mostly all USA collage football and a bit of tennis. I know there are 3D tvs out that you can switch a normal 2d broadcast to 3D anytime but they are around 3000 at the moment. Also getting a fair bit of ghosting watching 3D. (when i have the glasses on you see a ghost figure in the picture of characters in the distant picture). They way to fix this is to adjust the tunning of the brightness in the 3D mode, but its still visible, and is bit of a turn off for 3D at the moment. But still good to see TV in 3D tho :D

Your ghosting problems is that it's a active 3d tv which by next year will be old technology. Everyone will be switching to passive 3d which lg currently make, as the glasses are cheaper around 2 pairs for $10, the glasses are lighter, they don't need to be powered, and you don't have problems ghosting or the glasses flickering.
There is a 3D TV out at the moment worth about $20,000 that you dont need the glasses to wear, but who has that much to spend on Tvs
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby dedja » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:00 pm

LOL, the next iPad will not be 3D ... :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby kickinit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:30 am

dedja wrote:LOL, the next iPad will not be 3D ... :lol:

I don't think it will be either but they have obtained the parts to do so, so it will be coming in the future. That's why so many companies are pushing to make 3D movies.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Bully » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:22 am

kickinit wrote:

According to adelaidenow they are on the decline because it cost the tv stations too much to run a 3D channel. There are currently more 3D movies being made then 2D due to rumours that the next iPad will be 3D.

Bully wrote:just recently bought a samsung 55 inch HD/3D tv. Has anyone else purchased a 3D TV and what are their thoughts?

Your ghosting problems is that it's a active 3d tv which by next year will be old technology. Everyone will be switching to passive 3d which lg currently make, as the glasses are cheaper around 2 pairs for $10, the glasses are lighter, they don't need to be powered, and you don't have problems ghosting or the glasses flickering.

the ghosting is due to the Tv not being tuned correctly. this can be fixed with a firmware upgrade and tuning.
whether or not the TV will be old technology by next year then so be it. Like computers, you buy it and its out of date in 3 months. But its not the case of the broadcasting is to expensive by itself tho. Maybe due to not enough people buying 3D YET. again....this will be the norm in a few years time. like i said, 40 years ago...no one wanted a TV :roll:
Bully
Coach

Postby Westsider » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:25 am

kickinit wrote:According to adelaidenow they are on the decline because it cost the tv stations too much to run a 3D channel. There are currently more 3D movies being made then 2D due to rumours that the next iPad will be 3D.

Link please. There are not more 3D movies than 2D.

And why would they change movie making to suit the ipad? LOL
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby kickinit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:36 am

Westsider wrote:
kickinit wrote:According to adelaidenow they are on the decline because it cost the tv stations too much to run a 3D channel. There are currently more 3D movies being made then 2D due to rumours that the next iPad will be 3D.

Yes you are correct there is more 2d movies then 3d but there is more 3d being made then 2d movies
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,23 ... N_oTYIM5GS
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/04/nex ... d-display/

There is one link showing how many are being made of both i'll have to do some researching to find it.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Gingernuts » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:55 am

I bought a TV that's 3D but it's not the reason I bought it. I wanted the 200hz LCD LED and it just came with 3D also.

Used it twice I reckon. Waste of time IMO, was never going to take off.
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Westsider » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:50 pm

kickinit wrote:
Westsider wrote:

Yes you are correct there is more 2d movies then 3d but there is more 3d being made then 2d movies
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,23 ... N_oTYIM5GS
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/04/nex ... d-display/

There is one link showing how many are being made of both i'll have to do some researching to find it.

Where is the proof more 3D movies are being made?
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby kickinit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:08 pm

If you could read you would of noticed my last part of my post. When I finish work tonight I'll find it for you
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:16 pm

I've heard 3d TVs make you rude and angry! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Johno6 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:56 pm

maybe westsider secrelty has 5 then??? :lol: ;)
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Bully » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:40 pm

whether or not you like 3D then thats your choice, i personally like it, its better then the boring same old TV you watch all the time. But as i said the ghosting is a pain, but i will get over it.

If i have to buy a new TV next year then so be it ;)

But 3D is not bad when it works
Bully
Coach

Postby Westsider » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:10 am

Why pay thousands of dollars for a TV that ghosts?
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:06 am

Westsider wrote:Why pay thousands of dollars for a TV that ghosts?

I wonder if you play Ghostbusters on it if it will help?

Spoke to an IT expert this morning. He said the currnet version/technology of 3d televisions are awful. He highly doubts it is the way of the future and even if it is theres no way it would be in its current format.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:46 am

3D is crap because apparently on a small percentage of people can actually see 3D, even with glasses on (like only 17% or something).
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets