NBN

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: NBN

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 4:57 pm

FTTN will use your existing landline phone port

That is the wiring that you could get redone if it’s the issue
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Gozu wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:NBN plan is 100GB at $54.90 per month

That's crazy good I think when I last looked at iiNet's NBN plans 50GB was something like $80 a month. I'm paying about $65 a month for my crappy broadband connection right now which is so slow mentioning the download limit is pointless as I couldn't get anywhere near it even if I tried :lol:

Due to complementary upgrades along the way, we're paying $79/month for unlimited NBN.

I don't know if it's the case on NBN but I remember reading with regular broadband deals that 'unlimited' deals were actually bad. What I read was along the lines of those on limited deals are given preference by their ISP's at the exchange so those on unlimited deals actually end up with inferior speeds. That might have changed now.

See my post above about contention ratios

The unlimited plans quite often share less bandwidth than a corresponding capped plan
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon May 21, 2018 5:08 pm

bennymacca wrote:FTTN will use your existing landline phone port

That is the wiring that you could get redone if it’s the issue

Okay would that be via an electrician or the ISP I signed up to NBN with? $300 or so sounds too good to be true.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby HH3 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Maybe since technically we signed up for a 250gb plan, then they upgraded us to 500gb, then to unlimited, we're still getting treated the same as a 250gb customer?

I don't know, but if anything, our Naked DSL got better over time, and our NBN is obviously even better again.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 5:32 pm

HH3 wrote:Maybe since technically we signed up for a 250gb plan, then they upgraded us to 500gb, then to unlimited, we're still getting treated the same as a 250gb customer?

I don't know, but if anything, our Naked DSL got better over time, and our NBN is obviously even better again.

also helps you're with a reputable company.

go with dodo or Optus and your experience would be very different
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon May 21, 2018 10:58 pm

HH3 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:From what I’ve been told from someone who works in the industry Benny’s summarisation sounds spot on. I do believe there was a regular poster on here that was in that industry but their name escapes me and not sure if they are still on here or not

Wasn't it Fisho's partner? From memory he worked at Adam.

Thats correct, I work with her partner atm but no longer at Adam.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Gozu wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Kahuna wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I think my general analysis is good enough though right?. but thanks for giving us the correct answer

Yes absolutely good enough. Someone had to be a smartarse though!

I would have done the same thing if it was the other way round, so I cant fault you on that one :D

A good summation bennymaca :) I'm currently jostling with the idea of switching to NBN. I have an old house and the connection is garbage I was getting a positively brisk 0.6 mbps now down to 0.3 mbps. Numerous calls to iiNet they play around with things at their end and I might get back to 0.6 but with constant disconnections.

I have a FTTN box up the end of my street but how much better could my shitty connection get when clearly the old wiring in the house is garbage? They can't tell me other than to say it will be much improved, I just don't want to switch and start paying more for a similar speed I currently get.

Gozu, which area do you live in? Wireless could be a good option for you and then no ISP can force you to go onto NBN as they can't disconnect your internet.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 pm

While were talking about NBN i thought i'd share my great internet speeds :D

We have FTTP and decided to go with MyRepubic which share the bandwidth with other Tier 2 companies. We pay $60 a month for Unlimited and its absoloulety fantastic. We generally get over 80mbps during off peak times and during peak times we get anywhere between 40-80mbps. Upload speeds are generally between 15-30mbps. It has no problems streaming multiple devices and i now longer have to leave the Playstation on overnight to update and download. I can download tv series in under an hour and movies in about 10-15mins. Its a far cry from when i was still living with parents and we were on a 5km copper ADSL line to the Henley Exchange which would get a max 2mbps. We also had Adam WiMAX but due to LOS issues would only get about 2.5mbps.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 11:36 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Gozu, which area do you live in? Wireless could be a good option for you and then no ISP can force you to go onto NBN as they can't disconnect your internet.

I was on fixed wireless for nearly 10 years before moving to NBN - our area was an ASDL1 only area as it was a RIM. Started off with Adam and then Nuskope.

Personally I would NOT recommend fixed wireless if you have the option for NBN. It really is chalk and cheese, in terms of maximum speeds, latency, and congestion at peak times.

If adsl is your only option then I would recommend it though but you will regret not putting the effort in to get an nbn connection working (if the wiring is all that is needed)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 am

bennymacca wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

I was on fixed wireless for nearly 10 years before moving to NBN - our area was an ASDL1 only area as it was a RIM. Started off with Adam and then Nuskope.

Personally I would NOT recommend fixed wireless if you have the option for NBN. It really is chalk and cheese, in terms of maximum speeds, latency, and congestion at peak times.

If adsl is your only option then I would recommend it though but you will regret not putting the effort in to get an nbn connection working (if the wiring is all that is needed)

That’s why I asked which area Gozu lived in. Congestion is not an issue in some areas mainly where there’s an option of ADSL because everyone in the area is on ADSL. I remember you lived in Gawler and being a black spot and being surrounded by blackspots suburbs forces heavy traffic on the towers which was your issue from memory with WiMAX.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 am

Yep fair enough.

Still worth trying NBN first imo. Especially given there are lots of no contract plans out there where you only have to pay for the modem
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 22, 2018 10:00 am

Well Ive bitten the bullet and signed up with Uniti Wireless, they came and did the install last night and I now have new antenna on my roof, they couldn't get the wiring down our side wall though after 3 hours the installer gave up! Im supposed to get a call today to reschedule another installer to come out for a look, not sure why its so hard, the house is only 10 years old.

So far the service has been less than impressive and I have had to chase them up multiple times, you would have thought they were paying me for it.

Anyway as long as we get it set up correctly and get much better speeds than we are getting (7-8 range) Ill be happy. Will update when its all done.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby mighty hounds » Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 am

Dutchy wrote:Well Ive bitten the bullet and signed up with Uniti Wireless, they came and did the install last night and I now have new antenna on my roof, they couldn't get the wiring down our side wall though after 3 hours the installer gave up! Im supposed to get a call today to reschedule another installer to come out for a look, not sure why its so hard, the house is only 10 years old.

So far the service has been less than impressive and I have had to chase them up multiple times, you would have thought they were paying me for it.

Anyway as long as we get it set up correctly and get much better speeds than we are getting (7-8 range) Ill be happy. Will update when its all done.

If you have good LOS to the tower you should be ok. Then congestion comes into the equation.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am

Yeah we are pretty close I believe, they usually run a test before installing but didn't cause of this so that has given me hope of a good connection. We are also on top of a hill and no disruptions, fingers crossed.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Gozu » Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 am

mighty hounds wrote:Gozu, which area do you live in? Wireless could be a good option for you and then no ISP can force you to go onto NBN as they can't disconnect your internet.

I'm at Elizabeth supposedly just over 3km from the exchange which according to iiNet is why my connection is so ordinary. Thanks for the wireless suggestion but we've got one of those green boxes less than 100m away down the street which they assure me will markedly improve my speed if I switch to NBN.

I've been with Adam/iiNet for years so when I do it I'll probably get them to do me a no contract NBN deal if they want to keep me if not I might try Aussie Broadband.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Wed May 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Gozu wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:Gozu, which area do you live in? Wireless could be a good option for you and then no ISP can force you to go onto NBN as they can't disconnect your internet.

I'm at Elizabeth supposedly just over 3km from the exchange which according to iiNet is why my connection is so ordinary. Thanks for the wireless suggestion but we've got one of those green boxes less than 100m away down the street which they assure me will markedly improve my speed if I switch to NBN.

I've been with Adam/iiNet for years so when I do it I'll probably get them to do me a no contract NBN deal if they want to keep me if not I might try Aussie Broadband.

You mean TPG ;)

Iinet bought out Adam and then TPG bought out IInet and internode. If you want to hurt them Aussie Broadband is you best bet as they’re not connected or owned by TPG
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed May 23, 2018 1:24 pm

That's right I forgot all about that! No wonder their customer service is so shithouse now.

Yeah Aussie Broadband it will likely be for me.
Gozu
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Gozu wrote:That's right I forgot all about that! No wonder their customer service is so shithouse now.

Yeah Aussie Broadband it will likely be for me.

With them... Besides there horrible efforts of getting me online, they seem to be ok
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Psyber » Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:NBN plan is 100GB at $54.90 per month

That's crazy good I think when I last looked at iiNet's NBN plans 50GB was something like $80 a month. I'm paying about $65 a month for my crappy broadband connection right now which is so slow mentioning the download limit is pointless as I couldn't get anywhere near it even if I tried :lol:

Slight error NBN Gold $54.99 per month: https://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/nbn/
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 31, 2018 10:39 am

Dutchy wrote:Well Ive bitten the bullet and signed up with Uniti Wireless, they came and did the install last night and I now have new antenna on my roof, they couldn't get the wiring down our side wall though after 3 hours the installer gave up! Im supposed to get a call today to reschedule another installer to come out for a look, not sure why its so hard, the house is only 10 years old.

Done!...after 8 days and 4 phone calls didn't get a response I reluctantly resorted to complaining on social media, 10 mins later I get the phone call I had been promised. :roll: Anyway installation completed yesterday and we have gone from 7mbps to 44mbps and Im paying $30pm less. With the NBN over 2 years away its a perfect solution for now.

The installer advised me where the tower was that we get signal from and we can see it from our back yard so that obviously helps with wireless, very impressed, although now my kids have no reason to talk to me, previously the only conversation was to complain about fortnite glitching and advising we "needed new internet" :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets