NBN

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: NBN

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:26 pm

What I want to know is whether, if the NBN ever gets into the Stirling area, will they run the line up to my house or will I be responsible for the 50 metre run up the hill from the roadside to my house. In the latter case it isn't going to happen

Always makes me laugh when someone buys a property like you have, then expect never to pay any extra for these types of things.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Banker wrote:
Psyber wrote:What I want to know is whether, if the NBN ever gets into the Stirling area, will they run the line up to my house or will I be responsible for the 50 metre run up the hill from the roadside to my house. In the latter case it isn't going to happen...
Its already in Stirling Psyber!
http://www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html

http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/document ... he-nbn.pdf
How much does the installation cost?
Currently at least one installation option will be available at no charge for your premises. However, if you
would like your installation done in a particular way, please discuss this with your installer as in some
circumstances (e.g. for particularly complex or diffi cult installations), there may be charges associated
with this. In that case your installer can then give you a no-obligation quote on the cost, which if you
decide to accept, they will book a date to return and complete the installation.
'Work commenced' in the inner part of Stirling February 2012 - not yet available and not yet commenced outside the central part of the Stirling area.
I'm about 4.5Km from the exchange - "work commences within one year".

TSG, I'm not expecting that I wouldn't or shouldn't have to pay extra - though I'd take it if the gift were offered and the rates for NBN plans were acceptable.
But they keep advertising it as "to the premises" and implying it is to the house itself.
I'm saying I'm not likely to bother subscribing unless it is "to the house" because the potential gain doesn't warrant the probable cost otherwise.
There must be a lot of people not on small suburban house blocks who may find the same situation applies even if it isn't a 50 metre run in their case.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 393 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dog_ger » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 am

What ever happened to the NBN. :oops:

I live in the North.

Salisbury Downs. The Home of the Salisbury West Tiger.. :D
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:34 am

It's still Not Bloody Necessary.

Unless you are building a new house you won't be hearing of it for a couple of years.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Westsider » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:56 am

heater31 wrote:It's still Not Bloody Necessary.

I disagree. Using an antiquated medium such as copper and ADSL2+ is asking for trouble. There are heaps of people who can't get internet access because of lame excuses such as "an exchange is full", "you are too far from an exchange", "the is not enough backhaul" etc....

Is this day and age, high speed internet is needed.

heater31 wrote:Unless you are building a new house you won't be hearing of it for a couple of years.....

This is wrong as well. If you are in the rollout areas then you will get NBN regardless if you have an existing residence or are building a new one.

Dog_ger wrote:Salisbury Downs

I'm in Salisbury North and have cable internet with Telstra. Salisbury Downs is also listed as a cable area. You can get 100Mbit Cable with Telstra if you choose too. I have the 30Mbit version and download at 3.8-4.0 MB/s (megabytes per second)

As we already have access to cable, I'd say we will be waiting a little while for the NBN.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby tipper » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:25 pm

heater31 wrote:Unless you are building a new house you won't be hearing of it for a couple of years.....

i cant wait for the NBN to reach my place, sick of slow adsl. and wifi is useless. according to the rollout maps i can expect it in my street in "the next 12 months", and we arent building a new house.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 pm

tipper wrote:

i cant wait for the NBN to reach my place, sick of slow adsl. and wifi is useless. according to the rollout maps i can expect it in my street in "the next 12 months", and we arent building a new house.

Well you must be one of the lucky ones who has a garbage service already as my place has no plans for the next 3 years.

I deal with this through work building new homes and a lot of people are declining to put any provisions for it even though we strongly recommend that they do.
heater31

Postby Westsider » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:00 pm

heater31 wrote:
tipper wrote:

Well you must be one of the lucky ones who has a garbage service already as my place has no plans for the next 3 years.

I deal with this through work building new homes and a lot of people are declining to put any provisions for it even though we strongly recommend that they do.

What provisions are you offering though? Access points and cabling throughout the home? No needed if you are using wireless which most people do.

All NBN service providers all do installation free of charge. Why should they pay you to do it, when they can get it free when the NBN comes to their neighbourhood?
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:08 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
What I want to know is whether, if the NBN ever gets into the Stirling area, will they run the line up to my house or will I be responsible for the 50 metre run up the hill from the roadside to my house. In the latter case it isn't going to happen

Always makes me laugh when someone buys a property like you have, then expect never to pay any extra for these types of things.

What about country people. Should they pay more for services such as the NBN or petrol or diesel or electricity or food etc or just move into the 'burbs and get their snouts in the trough?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Westsider wrote:
heater31 wrote:
tipper wrote:

What provisions are you offering though? Access points and cabling throughout the home? No needed if you are using wireless which most people do.

All NBN service providers all do installation free of charge. Why should they pay you to do it, when they can get it free when the NBN comes to their neighbourhood?

There is a lot of internal wiring required, special conduit from the street to your house then more cables to deliver the service to each NBN compatible phone point.

In existing houses this is going to be big bucks to make it compatible.
heater31

Postby Westsider » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:15 pm

heater31 wrote:
Westsider wrote:
heater31 wrote:
tipper wrote:

There is a lot of internal wiring required, special conduit from the street to your house then more cables to deliver the service to each NBN compatible phone point.

In existing houses this is going to be big bucks to make it compatible.

NBNCo pay for the conduit from your street to inside your premises to one central point. At which they'll install a router (wireless if need be) and phone.

Like I said, unless you need multiple outlets/access points you can get it installed for free. Most people don't because these days you can do everything wirelessly.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby smac » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Does that include digging for the conduit? Good deal, if so.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:55 pm

That is not what the NBN co told us...

Then again it depended on who you spoke to :roll:
heater31

Postby Psyber » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:54 pm

The NBN guy I spoke to said they could feed the lines up the existing conduit that feeds the copper wires to my house, and would do so free of charge even though the house is 50 metres from the roadside.

I'll get the service put on if that turns out to be so.
We have a community meeting with the NBN representatives scheduled in Stirling in early August.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Westsider » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:58 pm

As quoted from NBNCo:

Your service provider will co-ordinate a time for the NBN Co equipment
to be installed (if not done already) and your service activated.
A standard installation of the NBN Co equipment will be free of charge.

---

This includes a single port installation. If you want multiple ports, then I'd say you'd have to pay for it.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby heater31 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Psyber wrote:The NBN guy I spoke to said they could feed the lines up the existing conduit that feeds the copper wires to my house, and would do so free of charge even though the house is 50 metres from the roadside.

I'll get the service put on if that turns out to be so.
We have a community meeting with the NBN representatives scheduled in Stirling in early August.

Not what we were told as we have had to change the size of our phone line conduit to allow the NBN cables to go through it......
heater31

Postby Westsider » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:43 pm

as long as it's P20 conduit it wont matter

That's a 23mm internal diameter

heater, I suggest your company contact NBNCo and find out exactly what's required.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby heater31 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Westsider wrote:as long as it's P20 conduit it wont matter

That's a 23mm internal diameter

heater, I suggest your company contact NBNCo and find out exactly what's required.

we have now! just it took daily calls and the info kept on changing every day until we finally got hold of someone that knew what the hell they were talking about :roll:

All sorted now for the new homes at least.....
heater31

Postby Psyber » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 am

The NBN guy I spoke to said older Telstra installations had always used a "generous" conduit size so it is usually not a problem with them. (As Westsider points out.)
Some newer private developments, after developers were required to put in the facilities, had apparently standardised on a smaller diameter conduit.
Presumably that saved a few dollars per development area.
Psyber
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:11 pm

tipper wrote:

well looks like i was a bit wrong. previously my address showed up as "installation will begin within the next 12 months", but after checking it today, my address is listed as "not currently available" but my neighbours are listed as "installation has commenced"!!! WTF, looks like my boundary does more than seperate mine and my neighbours yard, it magically stops fibre optic too. how can they install it to half of my street and not the other half??

:axe: :axe: FU NBN co...
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets