NBN

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

NBN

Postby dedja » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Normally the Advertiser gets all their facts wrong but this article is spot on.

By the way, I live in the street next to the fella in the article.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/south-aus ... 6335215839

THOUSANDS of Adelaide households face delays of up to a decade to get super-speed internet access under the Federal Government's $36 billion National Broadband Network - while their neighbours are being connected now.

Suburban black spots with ageing telephone infrastructure are being sidelined as the rollout concentrates on areas which have been modernised to cut initial costs, leaving some suburbs caught in a temporary technology divide.

The northeast suburb of Highbury, for example, is receiving the NBN now while neighbouring Athelstone will have to wait up to a decade; Oaklands Park is another suburb that will have to wait up to 10 years while in nearby Marion connection work should start within three years; in Torrens Park some streets are getting it within the year while others face a decade's wait.

A stretch running from Eastwood through Parkside, Fullarton, Malvern and Hawthorn is not even listed for the rollout despite being virtually surrounded by areas to be connected within three years.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Re: NBN

Postby tipper » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:21 pm

while i personally want it connected to my street NOW!! i realise that it just isnt possible to connect everyone at once. there was always going to be some areas that get connected "last". just as there had to be someone that was "first"

having said that, i dont really follow the 'logic" that has been used to determine what order the rollout uses. it seems to be just a matter of throwing darts at a map to see who goes next.

has the rollout been updataed to include your area dedja? i just looked it up and my area is listed as "work to start in a year". i think ill start looking at the details a bit more now, ill need to know costs so i know how much i have to suck up to the other half...
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Psyber » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 pm

I'd assumed it was "cheapest and easy places first" to make it look better value for money and defend the plan politically.
It does seem the areas being bypassed are those that are going to cost most.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Re: Re: NBN

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Psyber wrote:I'd assumed it was "cheapest and easy places first" to make it look better value for money and defend the plan politically.
It does seem the areas being bypassed are those that are going to cost most.

What about the cost to homeowners?? I deal with this through work and it is a nightmare to say the least.

Going to be some big $$$ spent by some people for all the internal cabling required for a system that could well be obsolete by the time the project is complete :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:38 pm

http://www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html

NBN Map....Willunga the only place in SA that is ready to go... :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby dedja » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 pm

tipper wrote:has the rollout been updataed to include your area dedja? i just looked it up and my area is listed as "work to start in a year". i think ill start looking at the details a bit more now, ill need to know costs so i know how much i have to suck up to the other half...

As I stated earlier, I live in the next street from the fella in the article in Athelstone, and we are not in the current 3 year roll out plan. There is a rollout 4 houses away across the river.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby prowling panther » Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 am

dedja wrote:
tipper wrote:has the rollout been updataed to include your area dedja? i just looked it up and my area is listed as "work to start in a year". i think ill start looking at the details a bit more now, ill need to know costs so i know how much i have to suck up to the other half...

As I stated earlier, I live in the next street from the fella in the article in Athelstone, and we are not in the current 3 year roll out plan. There is a rollout 4 houses away across the river.

Looks like we will both get it together, I am near the NAB soccer ground.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby dedja » Thu May 03, 2012 12:13 am

Yep, you're about 1/2 Km down Lower Athelstone Rd from me ...
dedja
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 pm

http://delimiter.com.au/2012/06/13/4g-far-superior-to-the-nbn-claims-joe-hockey/

4G “far superior” to the NBN, claims Joe Hockey

news Shadow Treasurer Joe Hockey has inaccurately claimed that 4G mobile broadband has the potential to be “far superior” to the fibre technology which Labor’s National Broadband Network policy features, in a controversial interview in which he also claimed that it could cost Australians up to $1,000 to connect to the NBN.

The claims were made in a radio interview which Hockey gave with the ABC’s Statewide Mornings show on ABC 936 in a visit to Tasmania last week. The host, Leon Compton, asked Hockey a number of questions about the Coalition’s own approach to the NBN. In one segment of the interview, Hockey spoke extensively about the potential of wireless technologies to serve the nation’s future broadband needs.

“… there is a great deal of irony in the fact that when the Government did a deal with Telstra for the National Broadband Network, I understand part of that deal identified that Telstra was not allowed to sell its new 4G technology as a competitor to the NBN because 4G has the capacity to be far superior to the NBN,” said Hockey. “So what does the Government do? It says, well, you’re not allowed to market it, as a competitor.”

“And what – you know, I don’t know about you but I use an iPad. The iPad I carry around in the car, I don’t have a cable dragging behind the car. I use wireless technology and I think that’s the way that functionality is going.”

The idea that Australia’s broadband needs could be served in future by wireless technology — especially 4G mobile broadband is not a new one. It has been raised repeatedly by the Coalition over the past several years as an alternative to the fixed FTTH-style rollout which predominantly features in the NBN. The case for wireless as a future broadband replacement for fixed infrastructure has been strengthened by the huge growth in uptake of 3G and 4G mobile broadband services in Australia, with telcos like Telstra adding on more than a million new customers a year.

However, Hockey’s statement that 4G has the capacity to be far superior to the NBN is factually inaccurate. So far, real-world 4G networks such as the 4G component of Telstra’s Next G network, which is one of the leading 4G networks globally, have shown real-world download speeds so far limited to around 35Mbps, in testing by Delimiter and other media outlets.

The speed of 4G technology is rapidly advancing, but it is not believed that these 4G speeds will come close in the foreseeable future to the gigabit per second (1000Mbps) speeds which the NBN’s fibre to the home network will offer in the near future. In addition, the NBN’s gigabit speeds will suffer far less than 4G speeds from congestion as additional users are added to the network, and latency (responsiveness) is vastly improved on fibre networks — between 15ms and 25ms, compared to latency of around 85ms or higher on Telstra’s 4G network.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby dedja » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:37 pm

WADH
dedja
Coach

NBN

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:39 pm

And he could be controlling our country's finances soon :(
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:31 am

pafc1870 wrote:“… there is a great deal of irony in the fact that when the Government did a deal with Telstra for the National Broadband Network, I understand part of that deal identified that Telstra was not allowed to sell its new 4G technology as a competitor to the NBN because 4G has the capacity to be far superior to the NBN,” said Hockey. “So what does the Government do? It says, well, you’re not allowed to market it, as a competitor.”
[/quote]

So there saying he is the one that is claiming that 4g has the capacity to become greater then the NBN, but the Government is the one that did the deal because of it?

It doesn't matter anyway because by the time we get the NBN we will be a third world country by then.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:16 am

IMHO he's correct and the author is incorrect.
I have access to 4g but will be unlikely to ever have access to the NBN.
Something is superior to nothing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:21 am

I'll have access soon. Can't wait.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Westsider » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Wedgie wrote:IMHO he's correct and the author is incorrect.

Do you live in Metro Adelaide? If so, you will eventually get the NBN

Liberal m.o. is to pick the exact opposite line to Labor, and that's what they are doing here. Internally the Liberal's will do an about face when elected and continue with the NBN plan
Westsider
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Re: NBN

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Westsider wrote:

Probably because it won't be installed in the Phuket slums.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Westsider wrote:

Liberal m.o. is to pick the exact opposite line to Labor, and that's what they are doing here. Internally the Liberal's will do an about face when elected and continue with the NBN plan

Wont be much good when Ive been dead for 50 years and even if it does get to me itll be outdated technology by the time it does.
Havent even got cable yet and Im the only one witb ADSL in tbe entire street.
I live less than 30 mins from the CBD.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Psyber » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 pm

What I want to know is whether, if the NBN ever gets into the Stirling area, will they run the line up to my house or will I be responsible for the 50 metre run up the hill from the roadside to my house. In the latter case it isn't going to happen...

In this weather, I'd rather have Natural Gas supply like I had in the Dandenong Ranges, at a much higher altitude and 58 Km from the city.
(Then I'd put in Hydronic heating which is just expensive to run on LPG.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Banker » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Psyber wrote:What I want to know is whether, if the NBN ever gets into the Stirling area, will they run the line up to my house or will I be responsible for the 50 metre run up the hill from the roadside to my house. In the latter case it isn't going to happen...

Its already in Stirling Psyber!
http://www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html

http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/document ... he-nbn.pdf
How much does the installation cost?
Currently at least one installation option will be available at no charge for your premises. However, if you
would like your installation done in a particular way, please discuss this with your installer as in some
circumstances (e.g. for particularly complex or diffi cult installations), there may be charges associated
with this. In that case your installer can then give you a no-obligation quote on the cost, which if you
decide to accept, they will book a date to return and complete the installation.
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:26 pm

What I want to know is whether, if the NBN ever gets into the Stirling area, will they run the line up to my house or will I be responsible for the 50 metre run up the hill from the roadside to my house. In the latter case it isn't going to happen

Always makes me laugh when someone buys a property like you have, then expect never to pay any extra for these types of things.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets