NBN

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: NBN

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Trader wrote:How long before Wifi makes all the in ground cables redundant? (If ever?).


personally I cant see it. you still need a cable backbone for it all - mobile towers are still mostly connected via cable, especially in city areas

we are already running to issues with having enough spectrum licensed. basically to fit in our increasing data needs, they need to use more frequencies in the radio spectrum to do so. this was one of the major drivers behind turning the analog tv signals off.
User avatar
bennymacca
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: NBN

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:51 pm

From what I’ve been told from someone who works in the industry Benny’s summarisation sounds spot on. I do believe there was a regular poster on here that was in that industry but their name escapes me and not sure if they are still on here or not
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 41037
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1085 times
Been liked: 2573 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: NBN

Postby HH3 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:From what I’ve been told from someone who works in the industry Benny’s summarisation sounds spot on. I do believe there was a regular poster on here that was in that industry but their name escapes me and not sure if they are still on here or not


Wasn't it Fisho's partner? From memory he worked at Adam.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
User avatar
HH3
Coach
 
Posts: 11599
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:14 pm
Has liked: 3263 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: NBN

Postby Kahuna » Mon May 21, 2018 2:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:but im just an electronic engineer with an interest in the area, not a telecoms engineer, so those loss figures are rough ones, some one who knows more than me would be able to tell you exactly what they are etc


Benny, the pedant in me wants to tell you that Telstra work on maximum point to point loss of .22db/km @1550nm and .37db/km @1310nm. This of course ignores splices and through connectors which are taken into account in Link Loss and Insertion Loss calculations respectively.


...........sorry..........
Kahuna
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 pm
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: NBN

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 3:07 pm

Kahuna wrote:
bennymacca wrote:but im just an electronic engineer with an interest in the area, not a telecoms engineer, so those loss figures are rough ones, some one who knows more than me would be able to tell you exactly what they are etc


Benny, the pedant in me wants to tell you that Telstra work on maximum point to point loss of .22db/km @1550nm and .37db/km @1310nm. This of course ignores splices and through connectors which are taken into account in Link Loss and Insertion Loss calculations respectively.


...........sorry..........



haha I honestly had no idea whether someone would pull me up on pulling the loss figure out of my arse :D.
I did google loss figures and decided it wasn't worth working out properly

I think my general analysis is good enough though right?. but thanks for giving us the correct answer
User avatar
bennymacca
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: NBN

Postby Kahuna » Mon May 21, 2018 3:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:I think my general analysis is good enough though right?. but thanks for giving us the correct answer


Yes absolutely good enough. Someone had to be a smartarse though!
Kahuna
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 pm
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: NBN

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Kahuna wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I think my general analysis is good enough though right?. but thanks for giving us the correct answer


Yes absolutely good enough. Someone had to be a smartarse though!


I would have done the same thing if it was the other way round, so I cant fault you on that one :D
User avatar
bennymacca
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: NBN

Postby Kahuna » Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Kahuna wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I think my general analysis is good enough though right?. but thanks for giving us the correct answer


Yes absolutely good enough. Someone had to be a smartarse though!


I would have done the same thing if it was the other way round, so I cant fault you on that one :D


All good :D
Kahuna
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 pm
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: NBN

Postby Grenville » Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Grenville wrote:Our internet is ridiculously slower with the NBN than it was before, and it wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination.


what sort of plan did you sign up for? it shouldn't be anywhere near the same speed


I'll have to have a gander, when we first got NBN it was quite a bit faster but rapidly went downhill.
User avatar
Grenville
Veteran
 
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:53 pm
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 744 times

Re: NBN

Postby Gozu » Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Kahuna wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I think my general analysis is good enough though right?. but thanks for giving us the correct answer


Yes absolutely good enough. Someone had to be a smartarse though!


I would have done the same thing if it was the other way round, so I cant fault you on that one :D


A good summation bennymaca :) I'm currently jostling with the idea of switching to NBN. I have an old house and the connection is garbage I was getting a positively brisk 0.6 mbps now down to 0.3 mbps. Numerous calls to iiNet they play around with things at their end and I might get back to 0.6 but with constant disconnections.

I have a FTTN box up the end of my street but how much better could my shitty connection get when clearly the old wiring in the house is garbage? They can't tell me other than to say it will be much improved, I just don't want to switch and start paying more for a similar speed I currently get.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
User avatar
Gozu
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12074
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 561 times

Re: NBN

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 3:49 pm

yeah they cant make guarantees about the old wiring in your house.

you could ask them when they do the install though to wire a new point in your house. may cost you a bit (like a 300 or so maybe) but would be worth it long term.

Grenville wrote:I'll have to have a gander, when we first got NBN it was quite a bit faster but rapidly went downhill.


the other thing to be aware of with all internet, but particularly NBN, is the contention ratio. Basically even though your maximum speed might be 100Mb, that doesn't mean the ISP provisions x*100 when assigning bandwidth.

in the "old days" this was fine as when you browse a website your bandwidth requirements are peaky - when you are reading a page you aint using any bandwidth at all .

this has somewhat changed with the advent of streaming services where people are constantly using their connection.

What that all means is the cheaper ISPs will quite likely have a higher contention ratio, meaning you get slowdown in peak times when everyone wants to stream Netflix. '
User avatar
bennymacca
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: NBN

Postby HH3 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:58 pm

@kahuna, can you fact check all of the above please?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
User avatar
HH3
Coach
 
Posts: 11599
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:14 pm
Has liked: 3263 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: NBN

Postby Gozu » Mon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm

bennymacca wrote:yeah they cant make guarantees about the old wiring in your house.

you could ask them when they do the install though to wire a new point in your house. may cost you a bit (like a 300 or so maybe) but would be worth it long term.


Cheers would you be able to explain a bit more about his process? They actually come to your house to install something not just send you a new modem like what normally happens on broadband? If I only had to pay $300 to fix all my internet problems I'd do it in a heartbeat. I was thinking it would cost $1000's to re-wire the house.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
User avatar
Gozu
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12074
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 561 times

Re: NBN

Postby Psyber » Mon May 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Still having no problems with my NBN connection via Internode. Still around 47 Mbps on my unchanged vintage 1987 wiring.
My old ADSL 2+ connection was struggling to get much over 4 or 5 Mbps at 4.8 Km from the local exchange.

NBN plan is 100GB at $54.90 per month, old ADSL 2+ was 250GB but slooowww at $59.95 per month. (I'm using about 30 GB per month at present.)
Only loss, no more free calls on the attached VoIP phone, but I rarely use it now that I have unlimited national calls and texts and 3GB data for $25 pm via Optus which is still working today...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
User avatar
Psyber
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11677
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Now back in the Adelaide Hills.
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Re: NBN

Postby Gozu » Mon May 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Psyber wrote:NBN plan is 100GB at $54.90 per month


That's crazy good I think when I last looked at iiNet's NBN plans 50GB was something like $80 a month. I'm paying about $65 a month for my crappy broadband connection right now which is so slow mentioning the download limit is pointless as I couldn't get anywhere near it even if I tried :lol:
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
User avatar
Gozu
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12074
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 561 times

Re: NBN

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:NBN plan is 100GB at $54.90 per month


That's crazy good I think when I last looked at iiNet's NBN plans 50GB was something like $80 a month. I'm paying about $65 a month for my crappy broadband connection right now which is so slow mentioning the download limit is pointless as I couldn't get anywhere near it even if I tried :lol:


They are much cheaper than that now. 500gb of 50Mb with Aussie broadband for $75 or unlimited for $79
User avatar
bennymacca
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: NBN

Postby HH3 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:NBN plan is 100GB at $54.90 per month


That's crazy good I think when I last looked at iiNet's NBN plans 50GB was something like $80 a month. I'm paying about $65 a month for my crappy broadband connection right now which is so slow mentioning the download limit is pointless as I couldn't get anywhere near it even if I tried :lol:


Due to complementary upgrades along the way, we're paying $79/month for unlimited NBN.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
User avatar
HH3
Coach
 
Posts: 11599
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:14 pm
Has liked: 3263 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: NBN

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Gozu wrote:
bennymacca wrote:yeah they cant make guarantees about the old wiring in your house.

you could ask them when they do the install though to wire a new point in your house. may cost you a bit (like a 300 or so maybe) but would be worth it long term.


Cheers would you be able to explain a bit more about his process? They actually come to your house to install something not just send you a new modem like what normally happens on broadband? If I only had to pay $300 to fix all my internet problems I'd do it in a heartbeat. I was thinking it would cost $1000's to re-wire the house.


With FTTN

All you need to do is rewire the phone connection from the grey Telstra box on the side of your house to where you want it. So one cable.
User avatar
bennymacca
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: NBN

Postby Gozu » Mon May 21, 2018 4:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Gozu wrote:
bennymacca wrote:yeah they cant make guarantees about the old wiring in your house.

you could ask them when they do the install though to wire a new point in your house. may cost you a bit (like a 300 or so maybe) but would be worth it long term.


Cheers would you be able to explain a bit more about his process? They actually come to your house to install something not just send you a new modem like what normally happens on broadband? If I only had to pay $300 to fix all my internet problems I'd do it in a heartbeat. I was thinking it would cost $1000's to re-wire the house.


With FTTN

All you need to do is rewire the phone connection from the grey Telstra box on the side of your house to where you want it. So one cable.


I'm confused, that's FTTP isn't it? That's not available to me I've got the green box thing up the end of my street.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
User avatar
Gozu
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12074
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 561 times

Re: NBN

Postby Gozu » Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 pm

HH3 wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:NBN plan is 100GB at $54.90 per month


That's crazy good I think when I last looked at iiNet's NBN plans 50GB was something like $80 a month. I'm paying about $65 a month for my crappy broadband connection right now which is so slow mentioning the download limit is pointless as I couldn't get anywhere near it even if I tried :lol:


Due to complementary upgrades along the way, we're paying $79/month for unlimited NBN.


I don't know if it's the case on NBN but I remember reading with regular broadband deals that 'unlimited' deals were actually bad. What I read was along the lines of those on limited deals are given preference by their ISP's at the exchange so those on unlimited deals actually end up with inferior speeds. That might have changed now.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
User avatar
Gozu
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12074
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 561 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest