Advice - Help me get a new Smart Phone

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Advice - Help me get a new Smart Phone

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:
kickinit wrote:The new S6 has been released. No more removable battery or sd card slot. Will be interesting if they are offering the same service as Apple with the battery. Apple will replace the phone if the battery packs itself, somehow I don't think Samsung will be doing the same.

A lot of phones are doing that with the battery now, its a space saving thing.
Found it interesting that Samsung virtually admitted their recent phones have been crap, glad I've steered clear.
With most phones getting replaced after 2 years the battery being inbuilt shouldn't be an issue to a well made phone.

In all the years i've had a mobile i've never had to replace a battery. It will be interesting how the new s6 is. Usually samsung claims are a load, be interesting if they are close this time round.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby toot toot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:06 am

I'm in the market for a new phone. Have been using the Samsung s4 mini for the last few years and has served me well.
Anyone got any recommendations on a new compact phone. Have been looking at the Sony Xperia z5 Compact but price is putting me off.
toot toot
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:18 pm

I got the moto x

Superior to the Samsung I have had
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:57 pm

My sons had a Sony compact and nothing but problems with the charger connection, got it fixed for free bit it still stuffed up after that, luckily I found a magnetic charger that fits into a different spot to keep him going.
If you don't mind an larger phone then go for a HTC or Samsung Galaxy 6.
If you want a smaller phone the Sony is probably the only way to go.
If you're after good value and cheaper go a Huwaii or Moto.
My phone prior to a HTC was a Moto and it was awesome value, it would take a lot for me to switch from my current HTC though, awesome phone.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:05 pm

My ever reliable Galaxy S4 has unfortunately run it's race after 27 months so Friday I upgraded to the S6.

My S4 has had an eventful life and been been a really trusty phone that I've never had any huge problems with. With it getting on a bit in the last few months it's had a few faults, one where it would automatically remove my sim card and more recently in the last week the lock button has been faulty and the phone would turn off and wouldn't come back on for longish periods of time. I managed to fix these faults by taking the phone apart and nursing it through but now it has come to a point where I needed a new phone. Also I had the screen replaced after dropping it and cracking the screen, only to get it replaced again (free of charge) because the replacement was faulty.

My new S6 seems like a very good upgrade thus far and after transferring all of my files, applications, etc. and setting it up I pretty much have the same phone thats just a little bit better than my S4 in everyway.

Only thing I don't like so far is the new Google Crome. I can't leave different tabs open on a certain page after closing the app. On my S4 I had 3/4 different tabs that I'd always have open. This is pretty annoying.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Psyber » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Wedgie wrote:
kickinit wrote:The new S6 has been released. No more removable battery or sd card slot. Will be interesting if they are offering the same service as Apple with the battery. Apple will replace the phone if the battery packs itself, somehow I don't think Samsung will be doing the same.

A lot of phones are doing that with the battery now, its a space saving thing.
Found it interesting that Samsung virtually admitted their recent phones have been crap, glad I've steered clear.
With most phones getting replaced after 2 years the battery being inbuilt shouldn't be an issue to a well made phone.

My phone is over 4 years old and works fine. I may upgrade, but only to get 4G.
My previous phone is still intact and will work if I ever need it too. I use it to back up my SIM. It is 10 years old and has an after-market battery.

What I don't like is being manipulated into a position where I am forced to replace my phone whether I want to or not simply because I cannot replace the battery - perhaps even (shock/horror) with a less expensive after market option.

The printer market soon blocked easily refilling cartridges, and some even will not work with "non-original" replacements that don't contain the right signal code.* No doubt the car industry will get on to this scheme soon - after all making you buy a new car every few years would be good for them...**

* What annoys me most here is the pollution inherent in it often being cheaper to buy a new printer than replace its ink or toner cartridges.

** BMW may be on the way. I don't know if it applies to all models, but some industry insiders tell me their system of getting fuel economy credits is by using a system that disconnects the alternator from the drive at low or cruising speed and this causes inadequate recharging and early battery death - and a battery compatible with the system cost $1000 to replace. (Even less honest that VW?).
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Wedgie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:32 pm

I don't think your post helps his question Psyber.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:15 am

Wedgie wrote:I don't think your post helps his question Psyber.

No - it was intended only as a comment on your buying into the consumerism trap driven by modern marketing principles, and promulgating it.
"With most phones getting replaced after 2 years the battery being inbuilt shouldn't be an issue to a well made phone."
Psyber
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:35 am

Psyber wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I don't think your post helps his question Psyber.

No - it was intended only as a comment on your buying into the consumerism trap driven by modern marketing principles, and promulgating it.
"With most phones getting replaced after 2 years the battery being inbuilt shouldn't be an issue to a well made phone."

PS: I just read an on line review about this issue and the shorter life of the inbuilt phone batteries made slimmer because that enables the phones to be slimmer too.
I'm having trouble finding one that still has a replaceable battery myself - I may have to go Microsoft and get the Lumia 640.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:39 am

Just upgraded from an S4 to S6 and can highly recommend Samsung smart Switch Mobile App.

Moves everything and I mean everything from one device to the other. Background pics, text messages, apps, calendar, the lot.

I went to use Kies software and it can go and bite the big one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Booney wrote:Just upgraded from an S4 to S6 and can highly recommend Samsung smart Switch Mobile App.

Moves everything and I mean everything from one device to the other. Background pics, text messages, apps, calendar, the lot.

Bloody good app isn't it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Psyber » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:22 pm

In the end in my search for a 4G phone I settled for the HTC Desire 520:
- Acceptable size for my shirt pockets
- Acceptable facilities for my needs
- Replaceable battery
- Acceptable price - best available was at the Optus shop because I am on the Optus SIM $30 SIM only plan anyway.

I may have gone for the Dual SIM in the Oppo Mirror 5S, but for the fixed battery.
In the end size and the replaceable battery option were the core issues for me.

The nice people at the Optus shop installed a similar app on this and my old Samsung Galaxy Y DuOS to transfer everything.
I agree Kies is a pain...
Psyber
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:23 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Booney wrote:Just upgraded from an S4 to S6 and can highly recommend Samsung smart Switch Mobile App.

Bloody good app isn't it.

Couldn't see how it could be any easier or any better than what it is. Excellent.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:18 am

Any suggestions/thoughts on the latest market? Time for a new phone and contract.
Love my HTC M8 but the M10 doesn't come with a radio or IR Blaster.
Considering the Huawei P9 , Google Pixel +, M10 or Samsung s7 edge.
I'm not a fan of Phones or Samsung's and definitely will be staying with Android.
Read a few sites and am leaning towards the Huawei at this stage.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Google Pixel phone, any good?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:Google Pixel phone, any good?

I've met one guy who has been using one for a few weeks and loves it.
He was an iPhone man before.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:Google Pixel phone, any good?

Very overpriced and the battery life is shit compared to others, get used to carrying a charger wherever you go. I looked at it but soon ruled it out and it didn't make my final list of three Android phones to choose from.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets