Advice - Help me get a new Smart Phone

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Advice - Help me get a new Smart Phone

Postby kickinit » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Wedgie wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Hmm, ahh well, at least with the Samsung I can carry spare batteries around as backups unlike another brand. ;)

hope that other brand your talking about wasn't the iPhone

http://store.apple.com/au/product/H9438 ... iphone-4s4

Correct weight mate, very awkward replacing Iphone batteries unlike other phones.
I had one of those cases when I had an Iphone, very bulky, bought one for the missus who preferred her phone to run flat than have that oversized alien attached to it.

not a matter of if you liked it or not, you said you can't carry backups like another brand. so i'm guessing you don't like the s3 then seeing it's bigger then the battery case
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:32 pm

kickinit wrote:not a matter of if you liked it or not, you said you can't carry backups like another brand. so i'm guessing you don't like the s3 then seeing it's bigger then the battery case

Trust me mate, I've done both, carrying a battery is nothing compared to the size of those battery cases.
You're right I don't like the size of the S3, my ideally sized phone was the original Iphone, then they went and copied the rest and made them bigger losing their only selling point for me.
I'll probably get a S4 but if another android comes along that is smaller and better on battery I'll seriously consider it, preferably I'd have nothing bigger than the S2.
Could never go back to an Iphone, would be like trading my XR6 in for a skateboard. Yes, the XR6 has more problems than a skateboard but it picks up more chicks! ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2055 times
Been liked: 3903 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby kickinit » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Yeh but those chicks are the ones your ashamed about. Android doesn't even come close to apple. If it wasn't for security issues I would consider a Samsung but until then ill stick to apple as I don't my information given to 3rd parties without my consent.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:04 pm

kickinit wrote:Yeh but those chicks are the ones your ashamed about. Android doesn't even come close to apple. If it wasn't for security issues I would consider a Samsung but until then ill stick to apple as I don't my information given to 3rd parties without my consent.

Apples are ladyboys, Samsungs are beautiful thai chicks.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:08 pm

kickinit wrote:Yeh but those chicks are the ones your ashamed about. Android doesn't even come close to apple. If it wasn't for security issues I would consider a Samsung but until then ill stick to apple as I don't my information given to 3rd parties without my consent.

Really?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/12/ ... Y820101228

(Reuters) - Two separate groups of iPhone and iPad users have sued Apple Inc alleging that certain software applications were passing personal user information to third-party advertisers without consent.

In the lawsuits seeking class action, filed in a federal court in California, the plaintiffs sought a ban on passing of user information without consent and monetary compensation, according to case documents.

and more ...

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/10 ... ing-ios-6/

Apple got caught with its hand in the cookie jar when privacy experts protested the use of a universal device identifier, or UDID, to track the online preferences of iPhone and iPad users.

The problems with that model became all too apparent after hackers compromised systems belonging to digital media firm Bluetoad and made off with close to a million device IDs.

Enough is enough, right? Well, maybe not.

It looks like device tracking is back with iOS 6, courtesy of a new tracking technology: IDFA, or identifier for advertisers.

Like the UDID, the IDFA uniquely identifies your Apple device.
Last edited by dedja on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 1002 times

Postby kickinit » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:36 pm

dedja wrote:

Really?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/12/ ... Y820101228

(Reuters) - Two separate groups of iPhone and iPad users have sued Apple Inc alleging that certain software applications were passing personal user information to third-party advertisers without consent.

In the lawsuits seeking class action, filed in a federal court in California, the plaintiffs sought a ban on passing of user information without consent and monetary compensation, according to case documents.

alleged that they where did a google search and couldn't what the outcome was.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 pm

maybe try looking a bit harder ... seems to me Apple have admitted doing it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc. ... ass_action

iPad and iPhone privacy issue class action

In December 2010, two separate groups of iPhone and iPad users sued Apple, alleging that certain software applications were passing personal user information to third-party advertisers without the users' consent.[38] The individual cases were consolidated in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose division, under the title In Re iPhone Application Litigaton, and further defendants were added to the action.[39] The complainants petitioned the court for a ban on the "passing of user information without consent and monetary compensation,"[38] claimed damages for breach of privacy, and sought redress for other enumerated claims.[40] Press reports stated that in April 2011, Apple agreed to amend its developer agreement to stop this from happening "except for information directly necessary for the functionality of the apps"; however, the suit alleged that Apple took no steps to do this or enforce it "in any meaningful way due to criticism from advertising networks."[38]

The Associated Press (AP) reported a pending congressional inquiry into the matter, with United States Congress members stating that commercial storage and usage of location information without a consumer's express consent is illegal under current law, but Apple defended its use of customer tracking in a letter released May 9, 2011 by the House of Representatives.[41][42] National Public Radio's senior director of technology published an article examining the data collected by his own iPhone, showing examples of the data collected and maps correlating the data.[43] Separately, digital forensics researchers reported they regularly use the data collected from Apple mobile devices in working with law enforcement officials investigating crimes and have been doing so since at least mid-2010.[44] In contrast with earlier statements, Apple revealed in a hearing with the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee that a "software bug" caused iPhones to continue to send anonymous location data to the company's servers, even when location services on the device were turned off.[45]

In September 2011, the District Court granted Apple's motion to dismiss for lack of Article III standing and failure to state a claim, but gave the plaintiffs leave to amend their complaint, thereby not shutting out the claims permanently.[40] The court ruled that without a showing of legal damages compensable under current law, the plaintiffs had not shown they sustained injury in fact by the defendants' actions. The problem facing the plaintiffs is the current state of electronic privacy law, the issue being that there is no national privacy law that provides for compensatory damages for breach of privacy, and this is the same issue faced by victims of data breaches, as breaches, per se, sustain no legal damages without a showing of actual and measurable harm such as monetary loss.[46] Under U.S. law as of July 2012, it is only when a data breach results in actual loss as defined by applicable law that compensable damages arise.[47] The case remained on the California court's docket as of July 2012.[48]
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Believe me, there are no known security issues with Apple IOS ...

http://www.macworld.com.au/news/ios-6-a ... rns-73139/

Apple’s iOS 6 is set to be released tonight and could be joined by the Mountain Lion 10.8.2 update. However, security company Intego suggests that some of iOS 6’s feature cause security and privacy concerns, while others have improvements in those areas.

iOS 6 will bring more than 200 new features to Apple’s mobile devices, including Passbook, the new app that brings together digital tickets, gift cards, loyalty cards, vouchers, and coupons in one place. With that comes significant security risks, writes Lysa Myers on Intego’s Mac Security Blog.

“What a wonderful boon for cybercrime!” Myers writes. “Personally identifying information, information about when you’ll be out of the house, and potentially-resalable credit information will be there for the taking.”

and this ...

IOS 6 jailbreak in 10 days ...

http://guardianlv.com/2013/02/apples-io ... n-10-days/

Apple’s iOS 6, the newly introduced and latest version of their mobile operating system was introduced to the marketplace 10 days ago.

In the 10 days since its release, there have been 7 million downloads of jailbreak software titled evasi0n, from the Internet.

This makes the evasi0n jailbreak software the largest and quickest jailbreak software download of all times, easily eclipsing the millions downloads from Redsn0w.

Let me know when you want me to stop ...

dedja
Coach

Postby kickinit » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:34 am

keep them coming especially parts like "security company Intego suggests" I can suggest that if you have a android phone you will die in 2 years does it mean its true.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby kickinit » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:36 am

there is security issue with apple and there will always be issues, but apple act quickly to sort those issues out. android on the other could care what happened and thats why there is still apps in there top 500 that have security issues and the number having 50,000,000 downloads and it's still there.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby dedja » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:31 am

what about the privacy issues?
dedja
Coach

Postby kickinit » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:51 pm

dedja wrote:what about the privacy issues?

with android? those 50,000,000 downloads from the google app store not a 3rd party site, sent peoples information onto 3rd party companies who then spammed and hack people phones. when you actually look at the all the crap on android it makes apple look pretty clean.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 pm

When you compare any sort of phone to pcs and Imacs they all look pretty clean.
In the scheme of things, not even really worth discussing except by scaremongers IMHO.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 pm

kickinit wrote:
dedja wrote:what about the privacy issues?

with android? those 50,000,000 downloads from the google app store not a 3rd party site, sent peoples information onto 3rd party companies who then spammed and hack people phones. when you actually look at the all the crap on android it makes apple look pretty clean.

dedja
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 am

I'm thinking of upgrading my three-year-old hTC but a few things have my plans stalled. Go iPhone or not? Mates with them swear by them. I use an iPad for everything except making coffee and mowing lawns so don't need all the apps and features repeated in something else. My son swears by Blackberry and my handbrake is a Samsung devotee. The guy in my nearest Telstra shop reckons the new Nokia and the new Sony are awesome. Any advice?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 am

Depends what you're after from a phone and what size you want mate. I looked around carefully and ended up getting a Motorola because of its size, feel and battery life which is much better than the Samsung and IPhone in that regard. I recommend an IPhone if you can handle the poor battery life, Itunes and aren't too IT savvy, if you want something you customise more and just drag and drop files instead of worrying about ITunes go Android, if you want a big screen go the Samsung, if you don't try something else like I did. I tested a few HTCs and didn't like them. Windows phones look good but because I would have had to start over again with apps instead of them just auto transferring to my new phone I avoided changing from Android.
New Blackberrry would be pretty fun, Sony looks ok.
Even sharing chargers, etc with your missus or workmates could be a consideration.
Phones are now like cars and a lot of other appliances in that you need to work out what is important to you and find a phone that matches, that's what I did.
I spent a couple of months testing phones and tablets for work so have had a fair bit of experience with a few brands, that gave me great insight into what I wanted and what had it.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks Wedge. Think I am still confused. What I don't want is a big phone because I use my iPad for everything on the fly. Maybe I will stick with the old hTC because it still works and its on a good Telstra plan that no longer exists. Then again.....
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:34 am

Sky Pilot wrote:Thanks Wedge. Think I am still confused. What I don't want is a big phone because I use my iPad for everything on the fly. Maybe I will stick with the old hTC because it still works and its on a good Telstra plan that no longer exists. Then again.....

What I would recommend is looking at Logan, they re-sell the Telstra network at half the price and you get more downloads. For $30pm you get 5gb download a month and I think unlimited calls and texts with only downside being you don't get 4g. I wish I went with them as the 4g and smaller limits definitely isn't worth it for double the price. And that doesn't matter what phone you have/buy.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 am

Wedgie wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:Thanks Wedge. Think I am still confused. What I don't want is a big phone because I use my iPad for everything on the fly. Maybe I will stick with the old hTC because it still works and its on a good Telstra plan that no longer exists. Then again.....

What I would recommend is looking at Logan, they re-sell the Telstra network at half the price and you get more downloads. For $30pm you get 5gb download a month and I think unlimited calls and texts with only downside being you don't get 4g. I wish I went with them as the 4g and smaller limits definitely isn't worth it for double the price. And that doesn't matter what phone you have/buy.

The 4g is only used in data downloads I guess. Wouldn't make your phone go faster! I just never use my phone for anything other than - shock horror - phone calls, texts and exchanging the odd picture. What is Logan?
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am

Sky Pilot wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

The 4g is only used in data downloads I guess. Wouldn't make your phone go faster! I just never use my phone for anything other than - shock horror - phone calls, texts and exchanging the odd picture. What is Logan?

Whoops I meant kogan! kogan.com.au they on sell Telstras service minus 4g at half the price. Its an online store.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets