Swapping HDD's

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Swapping HDD's

Postby Squids » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Why can't I simply rip out a HDD from one laptop and put it in another? Why does this not work
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: Swapping HDD's

Postby Psyber » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:28 pm

It's a while since I looked at this issue, and our company rarely dealt with laptops.
It should be possible to do an install from a set of OS disks, so long as you have the drivers you need as well.

The problem seems to come with the Recovery DVD supplied with laptops that may include proprietary software specific to the maker as well as the OS and Drivers.
I think the disc is designed to look for specifications that are standard on the machine it is meant for, and to not proceed if it finds anything is different.
I recall getting a message to the effect that this did not appear to be the correct machine with a Hi-Grade (UK made) laptop I owned back in about 2002.

I'd tried to increase the RAM with theoretically compatible components of another brand, and had to put the originals back in the end.
(Then I took it to the it to the Melbourne wholesaler for the upgrade after bargaining hard.)

I don't know whether this mediated via just identifying the hardware itself, or whether it depends on software codes embedded in the components by the laptop maker.

Diss probably has the answer.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Westsider » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Is the HDD blank? Then you can.

The problem swapping operating system hard drives is that the drivers are specific for one set of hardware.

If you are looking at getting data off a hard drive you can buy a USB dock and plug it into a working computer, then plug the said hard drive into the dock and voila, you can get your data off.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Squids » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks Pysber I did not understand one word of that.

Seems too confusing to me so I won't bother trying to do it.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Psyber » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Westsider wrote:Is the HDD blank? Then you can.
The problem swapping operating system hard drives is that the drivers are specific for one set of hardware.
If you are looking at getting data off a hard drive you can buy a USB dock and plug it into a working computer, then plug the said hard drive into the dock and voila, you can get your data off.
Yes they are a very useful option for that, and as back up devices.
I have a couple of them - one by Welland and one by Vantec - both allow hot swapping of HDDs.
(As they are fairly cheap I have one attached to each computer at home.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets