Atari files for bankruptcy

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Atari files for bankruptcy

Postby Gozu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 pm

VIDEOGAME maker Atari, which delighted a generation with vintage masterpieces such as Pong, Centipede and Lunar Lander, is immersed in its own life and death struggle.

With arcade games predating the birth of many current generation PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo Wii players, the US subsidiary and French parent of the modern Atari are finding it hard to secure investments needed to enjoy a profitable presence in the modern landscape of mobile and downloadable video games.

The result is a delicate financial manoeuvre by both sections of the business in the US and France involving separate bankruptcy proceedings designed to help refinance rather than end their businesses.

Atari, which turned 40 last year, in the US has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to effect this while the French parent company has filed a similar motion separately in France.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/austral ... 6559597759
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Re: Atari files for bankruptcy

Postby dedja » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm

I thought they died long ago ... my bad
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm

THQ have filed for bankruptcy as well in the last few days as well.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby kickinit » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm

HH3 wrote:THQ have filed for bankruptcy as well in the last few days as well.

wow thats a big loss
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Dog_ger » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

I think they are only re-setting their financial situation. Time will tell. Atari will not dis-appear.... :D
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 pm

kickinit wrote:

wow thats a big loss

Sarcasm? THQ are/were a pretty big organisation in gaming. They made the Saints Row series, as well as held the licenses for WWE, Disney and Pixar. They also made Homeland, the Metro series and Darksiders.

It is surprising for a major player in gaming to go bunkrupt when the industry is so popular right now.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby kickinit » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 am

HH3 wrote:
kickinit wrote:

wow thats a big loss

Sarcasm? THQ are/were a pretty big organisation in gaming. They made the Saints Row series, as well as held the licenses for WWE, Disney and Pixar. They also made Homeland, the Metro series and Darksiders.

It is surprising for a major player in gaming to go bunkrupt when the industry is so popular right now.

not sarcasm. saints row was a big game, and i think wwe would of been huge in america as well. The other thing i've noticed is games on the playstation store are more expensive then buying the game in store. I can't see how downloading a game is more expensive then physically buying it. Apple have done this as it's cheaper and a lot easier for most people, also the added bonus of once you've bought you don't have to worry about hanging onto it incase you might need again one day. If you need to use it again you just download at no cost.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Bully » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:22 pm

i still have my atari and it still works!!!
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets