Apple faarks up with IOS6

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Apple faarks up with IOS6

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 pm

This is the carrier update for Verizon in the US that fixed a very similar problem over there. No such fix has been provided in Australia ... yet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5526
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:I don't care if anyone has any info I have that's stored on my phone.
If I was overcharged because of an operating system I'd be ropable though and wouldn't even consider getting a phone with that operating system.
Both unlikely to happen but the result of the first issue doesn't concern me in the slightest where overcharging does.
Thanks again Dedja.

so you'd be happy to have all your banking deatils home address when your going away on holidays stolen, but to be overcharged by your telco by a couple of $100 which when you complain you would get back. that actually made me laugh thanks for that.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:20 pm

I understand what the issues from your first post. and if you had actually read the article that i posted it states the same bug you are talking about was fixed in the ios 6.0.2 update.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 pm

HH3 wrote:Currently taking bets on the response

"You're using it wrong" @ $1.10

"Id rather that than them have my info" @ $1.20

"Please quote me where I said ....." @ $2.00

"You're right, I apologise" @ $4,000,000

kickinit wrote:so you'd be happy to have all your banking deatils home address when your going away on holidays stolen, but to be overcharged by your telco by a couple of $100 which when you complain you would get back. that actually made me laugh thanks for that.

We have a winner!!
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Incorrect ... that was a bug fix for a different issue.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 pm

This is all too confusing. Can you fix the problem with an itunes update?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:43 pm

kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I don't care if anyone has any info I have that's stored on my phone.
If I was overcharged because of an operating system I'd be ropable though and wouldn't even consider getting a phone with that operating system.
Both unlikely to happen but the result of the first issue doesn't concern me in the slightest where overcharging does.
Thanks again Dedja.

so you'd be happy to have all your banking deatils home address when your going away on holidays stolen, but to be overcharged by your telco by a couple of $100 which when you complain you would get back. that actually made me laugh thanks for that.

Who is getting anyone's banking details?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:12 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Thanks again Dedja.

Vettel i think...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 pm

dedja wrote:Incorrect ... that was a bug fix for a different issue.

Apple has issued a second update for iOS 6, fixing a WiFi bug that affects the iPhone 5 and iPad mini. The bug caused cellular data overages for some users. "You can be connected to WiFi, but all your data may not be going over that WiFi network, so you end up using some cellular data when it should be going over WiFi," explained Michael Morgan, mobile devices analyst at ABI Research.

really? it explains it in the article exactly what your saying the bug is.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:14 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Thanks again Dedja.

from all that malware floating around in that open source andoird land
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 pm

kickinit wrote:
dedja wrote:Incorrect ... that was a bug fix for a different issue.

Apple has issued a second update for iOS 6, fixing a WiFi bug that affects the iPhone 5 and iPad mini. The bug caused cellular data overages for some users. "You can be connected to WiFi, but all your data may not be going over that WiFi network, so you end up using some cellular data when it should be going over WiFi," explained Michael Morgan, mobile devices analyst at ABI Research.

really? it explains it in the article exactly what your saying the bug is.

The official Apple release notes for IOS 6.0.2 does not detail a specific bug fix and the quote above is not from Apple ... http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1621

IOS 6.0.2 was released on 18/12/2012 and there have been numerous reports of this issue to this day. Whilst possible, it's highly unlikely that IOS 6.0.2 indeed fixes the bug and all those affected haven't performed the update.

Further evidence in the thread on the Apple forum, all 53 pages and counting ... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/43 ... 5&tstart=0

I've directed you to page 42 of the thread which is just after the release of IOS 6.0.2.

I get a very small data leak of about 1Mb per day whilst on wifi which is not enough to worry me, but I reset the usage counter on the iPhone on my rollover date each month to check that the leak isn't getting any worse.

For others, granted not the majority, the issue is horrendous and is still occurring.
dedja
Coach

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm

I read a few pages of that thread, some people are claiming there losing gigabytes a day through this problem. some are saying even doing nothing on there phone there chewing through data. And majority of those post are from people on at&t. one guy claimed he lost 526mb from his phone sitting on charge. i'd be more then inclined to say it's another software issue rather then a issue with wifi. To chew through over a gigabyte a day on a mobile device you would have to be doing a hell of a lot of work, pretty much using it constantly. Also add to the fact that you know there's a problem wouldn't you be cutting back what you do on the phone, not continue and chew through your data. I'd be looking at icloud back up or push notifications. I always don't allow push notifications for the simple fact those apps are constantly running checking for updates.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Would you tend to agree that a problem still exists then?
dedja
Coach

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 am

dedja wrote:Would you tend to agree that a problem still exists then?

no from what i've been reading people are problems with data usage even when not using there phone and the data people are going through is way beyond what anyone would use in a normal day. From what i see is there a problem with unknown data rather then a issue with wifi. When you think about it if you had gone through 1gb of data in 1 day wouldn't you stop using data and get the issue fixed? I know I would. Could there be a software issue, yes could be something to do with software update constantly checking for updates, icloud back up, app store checking for updates and push notifications.

If it was a wifi issue, like you said the phone is choosing the fastest connection. Now i'm no programing genius but from what I can gather if the program is telling it to choose the fastest connections then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard for the gurus in apple programming department to change it so if wifi is available it uses that.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 am

LOL Its like you insulted his wife Dedja! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby dedja » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:23 am

kickinit wrote:
dedja wrote:Would you tend to agree that a problem still exists then?

no from what i've been reading people are problems with data usage even when not using there phone and the data people are going through is way beyond what anyone would use in a normal day. From what i see is there a problem with unknown data rather then a issue with wifi. When you think about it if you had gone through 1gb of data in 1 day wouldn't you stop using data and get the issue fixed? I know I would. Could there be a software issue, yes could be something to do with software update constantly checking for updates, icloud back up, app store checking for updates and push notifications.

If it was a wifi issue, like you said the phone is choosing the fastest connection. Now i'm no programing genius but from what I can gather if the program is telling it to choose the fastest connections then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard for the gurus in apple programming department to change it so if wifi is available it uses that.

I'll take that as a yes then ... cheers
dedja
Coach

Postby Dissident » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am

I think I'll create a ban filter for "kickinit" and "android" or "iphone" or "ios"
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Dissident wrote:I think I'll create a ban filter for "kickinit" and "android" or "iphone" or "ios"

so your going to do the same for others on this forum that make up crap all the time?
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:12 pm

dedja wrote:I'll take that as a yes then ... cheers

no one can say for sure that there is even an actual problem. There is other possibilities that could be causing the high data use. They might have wifi but no internet connection. How do we know these people aren't just using that much data and are blamming the phone. Unless you have rock hard evidence that there is a issue then you can't be 100% sure there is.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Dissident » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 pm

kickinit wrote:
Dissident wrote:I think I'll create a ban filter for "kickinit" and "android" or "iphone" or "ios"

so your going to do the same for others on this forum that make up crap all the time?

You're agreeing you make up crap?
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets