Apple faarks up with IOS6

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Apple faarks up with IOS6

Postby dedja » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:35 pm

If you have an iPhone 5 and live or work in an LTE area then watch your data allowance get sucked dry ...

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/m ... 2gmeg.html

Apple iPhone customers are potentially being overcharged by hundreds - possibly thousands - of dollars because a software bug is leading to excessive data being drained from mobile phones.
And telecommunications companies appear to be cashing in on the glitch, with only one of the major telcos admitting to taking proactive steps to alert customers to the problem.
An Apple spokesman refused to acknowledge there was a problem when questioned by Fairfax Media despite details of the glitch, and how to rectify it, being covered on Apple's website. Online support forums dedicated to data drain among other issues have also attracted more than 250,000 hits on the digital media giant's website.

Details of the glitch are on Apple's website. Photo: Bloomberg
The iOS 6.0 operating system, released by Apple in September, contained a bug understood to have caused connection problems that led to devices switching to the 3G and 4G network when customers were connected to Wi-Fi.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Re: Apple faarks up with IOS6

Postby kickinit » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Old news this was fixed in a update last year. The funny part of the article was Vodafone saying they had problems, seriously who get reception on Vodafone?

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/76894.html
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby dedja » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 pm

problem isn't fixed ... that link is about a different problem
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby kickinit » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Didn't find much about it on the apple discussion pages. Did see though a lot about not being to connect to wifi network or it constantly dropping out. I personally haven't had data issues but then again I don't use that much data on my phone as I am usually near a computer or iPad. I have had problems with wifi dropping out, but that has to do with this stupid thing called walkers height air stream. Every time I drop wifi I always see this in the networks, reset the momdem and its fine. And it's not just iPhone I get it on iPad mac book and even windows based laptops.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby dedja » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Nothing to do with that ... when wifi is available data should default to wifi not cellular, but the bug means that data is pulled from the fasted available network, so if you're on LTE then that quite possibly is faster than the wifi network you're on, so your iPhone will gladly suck up cellular data when you expect it to be using wifi.

Very nasty bug ... only way around it is to turn cellular off manually when you're on a wifi network, then remember to turn it on when you leave the wifi network
dedja
Coach

Postby smac » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:40 pm

kickinit wrote:Didn't find much about it on the apple discussion pages. Did see though a lot about not being to connect to wifi network or it constantly dropping out. I personally haven't had data issues but then again I don't use that much data on my phone as I am usually near a computer or iPad. I have had problems with wifi dropping out, but that has to do with this stupid thing called walkers height air stream. Every time I drop wifi I always see this in the networks, reset the momdem and its fine. And it's not just iPhone I get it on iPad mac book and even windows based laptops.

Just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean it's no issue for anyone!

#duromine #android #portadelaide #differentstrokes
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby kickinit » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:44 pm

smac wrote:
kickinit wrote:Didn't find much about it on the apple discussion pages. Did see though a lot about not being to connect to wifi network or it constantly dropping out. I personally haven't had data issues but then again I don't use that much data on my phone as I am usually near a computer or iPad. I have had problems with wifi dropping out, but that has to do with this stupid thing called walkers height air stream. Every time I drop wifi I always see this in the networks, reset the momdem and its fine. And it's not just iPhone I get it on iPad mac book and even windows based laptops.

Just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean it's no issue for anyone!

#duromine #android #portadelaide #differentstrokes

11767 post so I'm sure you know how to use the quote button. Please can you quote me where I say it's not a issue. Like I said I don't use much data on my phone so I'm more then likely not going to see the issue. And in fact when I'm able to connect to my wifi I'd much prefer to use my 15" laptop. Only time I would use wifi on my phone is when I'm updating it or downloading apps that are too big to download over 3G network. So yes it's a issue. And obviously apple are working towards fixing it.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby mickey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:35 am

kickinit wrote:Old news this was fixed in a update last year.
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:32 am

Like I said mickey quote me where I say it's not a issue. From what I've seen the issue has been fixed and if it was I suspect to see a heap of threads of it in the apple discussion pages. It's funny though how Telstra and Optus haven't seen the issue, but Vodafone has. And let's face it you would be lucky to have this issue with Vodafone as you'll be lucky to receive reception
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks for headsup Dedja as we still have 3 accounts with Vodafone and one is an IPhone.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:26 am

kickinit wrote:Like I said mickey quote me where I say it's not a issue. From what I've seen the issue has been fixed and if it was I suspect to see a heap of threads of it in the apple discussion pages. It's funny though how Telstra and Optus haven't seen the issue, but Vodafone has. And let's face it you would be lucky to have this issue with Vodafone as you'll be lucky to receive reception

Well, you said that it has been fixed (wrongly). If people took your word for gospel, then it wouldn't be an issue.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:55 am

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
kickinit wrote:Like I said mickey quote me where I say it's not a issue. From what I've seen the issue has been fixed and if it was I suspect to see a heap of threads of it in the apple discussion pages. It's funny though how Telstra and Optus haven't seen the issue, but Vodafone has. And let's face it you would be lucky to have this issue with Vodafone as you'll be lucky to receive reception

Well, you said that it has been fixed (wrongly). If people took your word for gospel, then it wouldn't be an issue.

from what i've heard it has been, because a aussie paper is saying it isn't does it really mean it isn't? how many times before have aussie papers been wrong. when you also have our 2 biggest telco's saying they havent had a problem then you sort of think it has been fixed. if people are still having problems it's probably more then likely they havent updated there phone.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25 pm

It's real and hasn't been fixed. I'm not sure you understand the problem.

The telcos aren't going to publicly acknowledge the problem because they're getting some good coin out if it.

It's easy enough to replicate.
dedja
Coach

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:29 pm

dedja wrote:It's real and hasn't been fixed. I'm not sure you understand the problem.

The telcos aren't going to publicly acknowledge the problem because they're getting some good coin out if it.

because the age say it's still a problem it is? like i said australian media are very well know for making up crap and being late with stories. if this was as big of problem as they say the apple discussion thread would be filled with them.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 pm

We dont have this problem with our Androids...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Psyber » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm

kickinit wrote:Old news this was fixed in a update last year. The funny part of the article was Vodafone saying they had problems, seriously who get reception on Vodafone?
http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/76894.html
I have the full quota of bars showing up here in the hills right now.
(But I admit Vodafone was useless when I was over in Bunbury, WA, recently.)

My very economical plan with Slimtel runs on Vodafone and saves me a lot of money - no flag fall, and 17 cents per 30 seconds charged by the second.
I admit that if always being available mattered to earning my living I'd be forced to consider paying for Telstra.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:55 pm

HH3 wrote:We dont have this problem with our Androids...

No but you do have the problem of your information being given out. A lot more serious problem then this
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:18 pm

I don't care if anyone has any info I have that's stored on my phone.
If I was overcharged because of an operating system I'd be ropable though and wouldn't even consider getting a phone with that operating system.
Both unlikely to happen but the result of the first issue doesn't concern me in the slightest where overcharging does.
Thanks again Dedja.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 pm

kickinit wrote:
dedja wrote:It's real and hasn't been fixed. I'm not sure you understand the problem.

because the age say it's still a problem it is? like i said australian media are very well know for making up crap and being late with stories. if this was as big of problem as they say the apple discussion thread would be filled with them.

LOL ... I've already outlined the problem but since you're incapable from understanding facts I'll try again ... slowly

All smartphones (Windows, Android and IOS) are able to be used on a data network that is either cellular (i.e.. 3G/4G or LTE) or wireless.

The expected behaviour is to use wifi solely when connected to a wifi network and cellular when not connected to a wifi network. If both cellular and wifi are available then the default is always wifi. This is true regardless of operating system or brand.

Unfortunately, a significant bug has surfaced with IOS6 on iPhones.

Instead of behaving as described above, iPhones on IOS6 will now default to the fasted available data network, regardless of whether it is cellular or wifi. In the past, it was pretty much always accepted that a wifi network would be faster than cellular, but with the advent of 4G (LTE) this has now changed. I've got an iPhone 5 on the Telstra network and I have achieved speeds of 60Mb down and 40Mb up, which is way faster than any fixed internet service available today other than high speed NBN fibre which very few have today.

Back to IOS6 and iPhones. Only an iPhone 5 is LTE capable, so iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS cannot utilise the LTE telco networks. Also, LTE is relatively new and the coverage is generally restricted to capital cities or selected areas near CBDs.

Those on iPhones below the 5 will still be affected by this but the likelihood that they are connected to a cellular network with a higher speed than an available wifi network is extremely low, so it is unlikely that any 4S, 4 or 3GS users will notice any issue.

If you use an iPhone 5, then you need to be very careful. If, for example, you live in an area serviced by LTE, and you utilise a wifi network at home, the chances that the speed of the LTE network being higher than wifi is extremely high. In this case you are screwed, as ANY network activity will default to cellular data NOT wifi. Things like app downloads and updates, iCloud backups etc will use the cellular network NOT wifi when you are expecting wifi to be used.

The only way to stop your mobile data allowance to be sucked dry is to turn off data on your iPhone 5 whilst on wifi, and remember to turn it back on again when you need it ... extremely impractical.

So this is why the issue isn't widespread but for the poor buggers with the right (wrong) conditions, the impact is very high and costly.

Since Telstra has a far superior LTE network than the other carriers, the incidence of this issue is much prevalent on their network (it can still happen on the other networks though).

Customers that notice highly abnormal data usage who complain to their Telco can get their data allowance increased to help cover the gap as they (Telcos) are very aware of the issue ... but of course they are not going to publicly acknowledge the issue.

Until Apple release a IOS fix (or possibly a carrier update from the Telcos) the problem will exist. It definitely has not been fixed in Australia, but overseas the problem apparently has been rectified (at least on the main US networks) after earlier causing the same issues we are experiencing here.

As per above the problem is very easy to replicate.

Thanks for listening (or reading).
dedja
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Currently taking bets on the response

"You're using it wrong" @ $1.10

"Id rather that than them have my info" @ $1.20

"Please quote me where I said ....." @ $2.00

"You're right, I apologise" @ $4,000,000
I TOLD YOU SO