Internet service providers

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Internet service providers

Postby smac » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:46 pm

Tpg are good until they change plans. Then they'll shaft all of their customers to get them onto new plans.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Psyber » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 am

A friend of mine on TPG finds the service starts to falter at peak usage times - oversubscribing is the issue with them.
I used them in the dial-up days - they had the same problem then too, but were better than Bigpond.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:38 am

Psyber wrote:A friend of mine on TPG finds the service starts to falter at peak usage times - oversubscribing is the issue with them.

Yep this is what I have heard too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Groover wrote:In my area we can basically only get wimax (as we dont have/want a line from the pole)
Would this be a viable option?
any pro's/cons of wimax we should watch out for?

You should look into Nuscope for you WiMax. I have it through Adam, because we have to have WiMax in my area. My brother, who lives 5 minutes away, got Nuscope, and gets at least triple the speeds I do. Same price too. Im spewing, coz I'm on a contract and cant get out of it.

where are you located?

i am on wimax too, in evanston park, with adam.

my experience with wimax is that it is ok, just ok. it is certainly better than ADSL 1, but the speed can be quite variable.

the problem with the speeds are that its a bit like cable internet. there is 1 pipe that everyone in your area uses, so if everyone is using the internet, it slows down noticeably. it also slows down the more people connect to the service.

personally, my experience with adam has been mixed but good overall. i was a customer with them when i had adsl, but then moved house to an area which only had wimax. judging by the antennae on people's roofs, i was definitely an early adopter, and i had lots of issues with poor signal strength. but to their credit adam came out to fix it about 4 times, and now i have no issues at all. so if you were a new customer you would be the same.

in terms of speeds, i definitely notice a difference between peak and off peak times. hardly noticable with general browsing or downloading of movies etc, but for sustained live video streaming, like HD video on youtube or foxtel go, it becomes a problem in early evenings.

so im definitely interested in anyone's experience on nuscope because i am in the same boat.

in short i would recommend adam wimax, but only if you have no other option. if you can get adsl2 do that for sure.

I'm the faults tech for the Adam Wimax. New tower has just been finished in Blakeview and no customers are being realigned to the tower. After the 240 customers are realigned to Blakeview people who are connected to Smithfield, Elizabeth and Angle Vale will have improved service due to less traffic on the sectors.

Unfortuneley for you bennymacca you only have two options in Gawler and Gawler South. When was the last time a tech went to your place?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Awesome. Im in Playford Alive. Does that mean I can expect better speeds? My PS4 speed test is rarely over 3mbps.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 pm

HH3 wrote:Awesome. Im in Playford Alive. Does that mean I can expect better speeds? My PS4 speed test is rarely over 3mbps.

Do your speed tests through the Adam website it will be 100% accurate. If your connected to Elizabeth, Smithfield or Angle Vale then yes once everyone has been realigned and traffic has been broken up your speeds will increase. You may even be on the list to be realigned to Blakeview.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:40 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
HH3 wrote:Awesome. Im in Playford Alive. Does that mean I can expect better speeds? My PS4 speed test is rarely over 3mbps.

Do your speed tests through the Adam website it will be 100% accurate. If your connected to Elizabeth, Smithfield or Angle Vale then yes once everyone has been realigned and traffic has been broken up your speeds will increase. You may even be on the list to be realigned to Blakeview.

I just did it on my laptop with wifi, and got 4.95mbps.

My PS4 is connected to the router with an ethernet cable. There isnt really any problems with it. It just takes a little while to download game updates. It really depends on the day though. Sometimes its super quick, sometimes its ridiculously slow.

I dont really get any lag when playing online either.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 pm

HH3 wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

I just did it on my laptop with wifi, and got 4.95mbps.

My PS4 is connected to the router with an ethernet cable. There isnt really any problems with it. It just takes a little while to download game updates. It really depends on the day though. Sometimes its super quick, sometimes its ridiculously slow.

I dont really get any lag when playing online either.

Oh do it through your computer not through wireless. Cable from one of your Ethernet ports on your modem to your laptop. Yeh if your on Smithfield it's fairly packed so peak times it will lag. This is the reason why Blakeview was built. Anything over 4 mbs is acceptable.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:22 am

Awesome. Someone at work just tried to explain how having good ping is better than having good download speed, which kinda made sense to me, and kinda explains why I have no lag on Battlefield but have shitty download speed.

Will we be notified if we get realigned to the Blakeview tower?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:32 am

if you have ever had a good pinga you would def agree with him.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:35 am

Johno6 wrote:if you have ever had a good pinga you would def agree with him.

Slow morning in the office, buddy?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 am

HH3 wrote:Awesome. Someone at work just tried to explain how having good ping is better than having good download speed, which kinda made sense to me, and kinda explains why I have no lag on Battlefield but have shitty download speed.

They would need to point your antenna at the different tower, and probably won't do this automatically, but if you ring and complain about low speeds they could transfer you across
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:02 am

HH3 wrote:
Johno6 wrote:if you have ever had a good pinga you would def agree with him.

Slow morning in the office, buddy?

not slow, still.

absolutely nothing is goin on.

bored out of my brain
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:Awesome. Someone at work just tried to explain how having good ping is better than having good download speed, which kinda made sense to me, and kinda explains why I have no lag on Battlefield but have shitty download speed.

They would need to point your antenna at the different tower, and probably won't do this automatically, but if you ring and complain about low speeds they could transfer you across

I have a list of 120 people who can be realigned and the other tech has the other 120. You won't know unless you get a call from one of us. even if you don't get realigned there will be less traffic on your tower meaning faster speeds!
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:34 pm

True dat

Now, any plans for Evanston park at all? My tower is slow as. Bloody people copying me haha
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:True dat

Now, any plans for Evanston park at all? My tower is slow as. Bloody people copying me haha

Nope, not enough customers for a third tower in that area.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:40 pm

:(

You work for Adam? Or sub contractor?

Just get me fibre pls k thnx
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:49 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Unfortuneley for you bennymacca you only have two options in Gawler and Gawler South. When was the last time a tech went to your place?

Completely missed this post before

Tech would have come out a year or more ago, to put a 1.5m antenna up instead of using TV antenna pole
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Ron Burgundy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Ended up going with Nuskope for my internet. Unlimited ADSL2+ for $54.95. Onseller of Telstra.

Im in regional SA, live about 750m line of sight from the exchange and get better speeds that the Internode connection here at work. approx. 16-18Mbps.

Customer service was top notch.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:24 pm

16-18 Mbps is crazy good for adsl2
bennymacca
Coach