Internet service providers

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Internet service providers

Postby stan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:33 am

Hi all, Im looking at getting some form of internet at my place thats not mobile broadband. I would be interested to hear from anyone about the packages they are on. Doesnt matter what you have ie naked, adsl2 etc Im just interested to hear about what people have been using and there experiances.

At the moment Im probably looking at say a small plan maybe 10gb th 20 gb per month with maybe a phone bundle for the Adsl side. But please all tell what you have been using and what your experiance has been.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: Internet service providers

Postby Psyber » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 am

I have a package deal from Internode for $59.95 per month which includes 10GB/month, a conventional phone service (running on Optus), and a VoIP service with $10 per month credit. At this stage I'd look at going to a Naked ADSL and VoIP service, but I'm holding off to see what happens with the NBN as I was supposed to be able to get it in October just gone. If it still happens - and I'd be quite happy with FTTN rather than FTTH - I'll go without the traditional phone line.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Ron Burgundy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:08 am

Im out in the country and looking into the same thing.

Im thinking ill go with a company called Nuskope, who are offering unlimited ADSL2+ for $54.95 plus I need to get a home line from Telstra.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 pm

firstly, do you need a home phone? most people dont use it that often these days, i certainly dont, because of mobile phones. the reason i ask this is if you dont have to pay for line rental, it can save you a lot of money. VOIP services are excellent these days, and you can plug your existing phone into most voip routers.

secondly, in my experience, there really are only two providers that have the right mix of value for money, support, and being big enough, and that is internode/iinet and adam internet.

for instance, adam internet have 20gb of naked dsl for $50, internode have 30gb for $60 but that comes with $10 of voip credit a month if you think you will use your home phone more often.

http://www.adam.com.au/products/adamezychoice_naked
http://www.internode.on.net/residential ... asy_naked/

the non-naked prices for both of those are $10 less, but then you have to factor in the fact that you are paying $30 or so minimum for your home phone. hence why i was stressing to make sure you really do need your home phone.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Im thinking ill go with a company called Nuskope, who are offering unlimited ADSL2+ for $54.95 plus I need to get a home line from Telstra.

cant comment on Nuskope directly because i havent had experience with them, but the problem with a lot of the smaller ISPs is that they have to buy bandwidth from one of the big players. i.e TPG internet have what look like great deals but their speeds are almost always bad because of the fact that they basically pay optus to use their gear.

internode and adam both have their own dslams in most exchanges in adelaide (most, not all) so they are able to provide you with better speeds etc.

depends on your usage too. both adam and internode offer 200gb plans which is a ton for most people, i would only consider something different if you are going to smash way more than that.

Psyber wrote:I'm holding off to see what happens with the NBN as I was supposed to be able to get it in October just gone.

with regards to the NBN, unless you think you might change providers, i dont think this will matter too much. all of the companies will be wanting to get you across to NBN, so if you are a current customer they would change you over no worries i would imagine.

im not an expert, there may be others which may have other opinions, but that is mine
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Groover » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:22 pm

In my area we can basically only get wimax (as we dont have/want a line from the pole)
Would this be a viable option?
any pro's/cons of wimax we should watch out for?
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 385 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby HH3 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:29 pm

Groover wrote:In my area we can basically only get wimax (as we dont have/want a line from the pole)

You should look into Nuscope for you WiMax. I have it through Adam, because we have to have WiMax in my area. My brother, who lives 5 minutes away, got Nuscope, and gets at least triple the speeds I do. Same price too. Im spewing, coz I'm on a contract and cant get out of it.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:13 pm

HH3 wrote:
Groover wrote:In my area we can basically only get wimax (as we dont have/want a line from the pole)

You should look into Nuscope for you WiMax. I have it through Adam, because we have to have WiMax in my area. My brother, who lives 5 minutes away, got Nuscope, and gets at least triple the speeds I do. Same price too. Im spewing, coz I'm on a contract and cant get out of it.

where are you located?

i am on wimax too, in evanston park, with adam.

my experience with wimax is that it is ok, just ok. it is certainly better than ADSL 1, but the speed can be quite variable.

the problem with the speeds are that its a bit like cable internet. there is 1 pipe that everyone in your area uses, so if everyone is using the internet, it slows down noticeably. it also slows down the more people connect to the service.

personally, my experience with adam has been mixed but good overall. i was a customer with them when i had adsl, but then moved house to an area which only had wimax. judging by the antennae on people's roofs, i was definitely an early adopter, and i had lots of issues with poor signal strength. but to their credit adam came out to fix it about 4 times, and now i have no issues at all. so if you were a new customer you would be the same.

in terms of speeds, i definitely notice a difference between peak and off peak times. hardly noticable with general browsing or downloading of movies etc, but for sustained live video streaming, like HD video on youtube or foxtel go, it becomes a problem in early evenings.

so im definitely interested in anyone's experience on nuscope because i am in the same boat.

in short i would recommend adam wimax, but only if you have no other option. if you can get adsl2 do that for sure.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Im in the newest part of Playford Alive at Munno Para. We had NBN before we moved here, so I do notice the difference a bit with streaming.

I have no issues with playing the PS4 online. Never get noticeable lag.

I do notice the speeds drop in the evening, but nothing too dramatic. The only thing that really shits me is me and my brother talking on the Party function on the PS4's, and having to download an update to be able to play. We had one that was 600Mb and his was done in less than 10 minutes and mine took a couple of hours.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Alaska » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:25 pm

To answer the original question, you ned to know what you can get at your home, I only get adsl and the 600mb download takes me 8 hours.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:27 pm

HH3 wrote:Im in the newest part of Playford Alive at Munno Para. We had NBN before we moved here, so I do notice the difference a bit with streaming.

I have no issues with playing the PS4 online. Never get noticeable lag.

I do notice the speeds drop in the evening, but nothing too dramatic. The only thing that really shits me is me and my brother talking on the Party function on the PS4's, and having to download an update to be able to play. We had one that was 600Mb and his was done in less than 10 minutes and mine took a couple of hours.

i would hazard a guess and say that nuscope would be undersubscribed compared to adam given adam's reputation in the SA internet market, and that would be the main reason why speeds are faster.

but im definitely going to look into it
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:49 pm

Alaska wrote:To answer the original question, you ned to know what you can get at your home, I only get adsl and the 600mb download takes me 8 hours.

I can get all types in my area just not NBN.
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 pm

stan wrote:
Alaska wrote:To answer the original question, you ned to know what you can get at your home, I only get adsl and the 600mb download takes me 8 hours.

I can get all types in my area just not NBN.

go with adam or internode naked DSL then for sure
bennymacca
Coach

Postby kickinit » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:58 pm

originally I had adam internet. had some issues with them cutting back speeds,until you ring up and they hit that magical button. When telstra bought out some decent bundles with home phone and foxtel made a switch. Had ADSL on both but my speeds jump by 4 times from adam to telstra. Adam should be a lot better now with speeds since telstra bought them out.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:08 pm

I begrudged paying line rental from Optus or anyone else so I went with naked ADSL with Internode. 69.90 per month with 10 dollars of free calls per month. We hardly ever use the 10 dollars of free calls because we both have mobiles on plans.

Now that its set up, I've had little trouble and at least I know what my bills are going to be per month.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Kahuna » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:50 pm

kickinit wrote:Adam should be a lot better now with speeds since telstra bought them out.

Sale was vetoed by ACCC. I think iinet ended up buying Adam.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Kahuna wrote:
kickinit wrote:Adam should be a lot better now with speeds since telstra bought them out.

this.

and speeds are dependent on so many factors - the quality of your copper is a big one, the distance from the exchange, whether adam had their own DSLAMs in your exchange or whether they were leasing it from telstra at the time, which telstra throttle to keep enough bandwidth for themselves etc etc etc.

having said that, you are probably most likely to get the best speeds with telstra, but you also get ripped off blind for that "privilege," and most of the time it would be comparable
bennymacca
Coach

Postby kickinit » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Kahuna wrote:

this.

and speeds are dependent on so many factors - the quality of your copper is a big one, the distance from the exchange, whether adam had their own DSLAMs in your exchange or whether they were leasing it from telstra at the time, which telstra throttle to keep enough bandwidth for themselves etc etc etc.

having said that, you are probably most likely to get the best speeds with telstra, but you also get ripped off blind for that "privilege," and most of the time it would be comparable

Never knew it got stopped.

I'm actually paying less through telstra now then when I had my internet with adam. Also add I only had 40Gb with Adam and now have 200Gb with Telstra. The main factor was the house line. Mrs is from the country so she makes a few calls back home which ends up costing big. With what we where spending on home phone internet and foxtel we end up saving about $60 month with the bundle.

The one thing i did have trouble with a few months ago was modem's. Still had my telstra modem but it was starting to constantly drop out on wifi, switch the modem off and back on and it would be fine. Decided it was time to upgrade it. Tried belkin net gear and d-link, they weren't cheap modems either they where the top modems JB $300 worth. None of them got any good speeds. Ended up getting a new telstra modem and haven't had a issue with speeds or wifi. Probably another thing telstra do to limit the user.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:32 pm

If you used a VoIP phone it would be much cheaper with Adam, no question. But a lot of non tech savvy people aren't prepared to do that, which is fine. A bundle with Telstra is probably the only way they would get close to being value for money
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:54 am

Hi all thanks for the input it has been helpful.

Question has anyone gone with TPG here and have any feedback about these guys?
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 am

stan wrote:Hi all thanks for the input it has been helpful.

Question has anyone gone with TPG here and have any feedback about these guys?

havent been with them, but heard mixed reviews

they are cheap and good value for money, but have heard their support leaves a lot to be desired, and they also buy their backhaul from optus i think, and apparently they dont buy enough so speeds can slow in peak periods.

having said all of that, they are much much better than other bargain ISPs like dodo who have the worst reputation in the indurstry.

my thoughts would be if you can get a great deal go with them, but if it is not much more per month, go for internode or adam.

now im not an insider so i cant confirm any of that, most of this is just gleamed from the whirlpool forums. great place to have a bit of a read if you are at all interested in internet or general technology

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
bennymacca
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets