Digital Radio

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Digital Radio

Postby Pseudo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Do we have any afficionadoes of digital radio here? How well do you rate the quality, the programming, the extra bells and whistles compared to analogue radio? Can you recommend a good receiver for casual listening?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Re: Digital Radio

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 pm

I've got it in the car, so those with fixed radios you may notice different results.

Sound is much clearer and there's a reasonable range of of the usual stations with some extra specialty (especially) music stations.

The main downside for me, especially as I live in the foothills, is that reception dies within a km or 2 from home, which is the nature of digital reception, you either get a perfect signal or none at all.

So for me I have to switch to standard FM when the digital signal is lost, so this may or may not be an issue depending where you are.

Details of Adelaide stations here ... http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/inde ... l=stations

You can time shift which is a novelty.

The other downside is that the digital radio receivers are quite expensive, so generally I wouldn't consider them value for money. The only reason i've got it in the car is that I wanted to change the head unit and the model I chose happened to have digital radio, so I didn't spend more to get it.

Faarked if I know if any of this helps ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby RustyCage » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:57 pm

I have a Pure One Flow or something like that, and it's great. Crystal clear reception an extra channels are the main benefits, but also comes with internet radio so using my router I can use it to listen to any radio station in the world, both commercial radio stations and little back room internet radio stations that seem to keep getting shut down every few weeks
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:20 pm

I haven't even considered it up in the hills. I had to get an extension to elevate my antenna to get digital TV so I'm unlikely to pick up digital radio without similar special provision. I rarely use a car radio unless I'm out in the country with no traffic to be concerned about being distracted from.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:13 am

I use a sangean digital radio for work as it sits comfortably in my pocket and use headphones.

I like the abc grandstand station plus a couple of the others.

But it did cost $150
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby zipzap » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 pm

They've come down in price a lot. Target sells a few no name brands for under $50...was thinking of getting one
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:29 am

still cant work out why they are so expensive, other than that there is not many people buying them and hence low competition.

I have one at work and as other posters have said, it works great when you get reception, but like digital TV, you either get perfect reception or none. No graceful degradation. It is nice listening to ABC grandstand and 5AA in perfect clarity, it almost sounds weird compared to the ever present buzz of the AM band.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cennals05 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:31 pm

If you want to check whether you can get digital radio in your area you can check on this site http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/inde ... ge_id=1003

I wouldn't get one if you wanted to use it to listen to the football while at a game. Unlike analogue radio there is a latency with digital which means it will always be about 3 seconds behind the play.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:40 pm

With Dick Smith going belly-up I finally got around to buying a cheap DAB+ receiver.

Spent most of the day grooving to the dedicated 80s channel and am now vegging out to SBS chill.

I could get used to this....
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 pm

I've won two in recent times in a couple of competitions, both are around the Boon household on Triple J Unearthed, 90's classics, Triple M Classic Rock and roll through various other programs.

Both get used extensively, both get changed by all 4 Boon family members. We quite like them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Reddeer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:12 pm

They are useless if you want to listen to live action, about 6 seconds behind the event!!!!
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets