Upgrading Windows

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Upgrading Windows

Postby westozfalcon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:47 pm

I bought an iPod last week for the first time in my life and want to access iTunes (yes, I know it's now 2015).

My six-year old computer runs on Windows Vista with which you can no longer download the iTunes program. You need at least Windows 7 to do so.

What is the cheapest way to get hold of a (safe) upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 to tide me over until I get a new computer, hopefully early next year?
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Upgrading Windows

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Might be a dumb question WOF, but do you work for a large organisation? Often, they have reciprocal rights to upgrade for 15 bucks. if not, find someone 'inside' a large organisation and see if you can upgrade using their registration.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Re: Upgrading Windows

Postby Psyber » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:57 am

There has been some suggestion Microsoft may make licences for Windows 10 available at a "nominal" fee for those with a pre-Windows 7 OS.
However there may be driver issues, and of course we don't know yet what they think "nominal" means...

I've just accepted the free upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on my smaller laptop just to play with it.
So far it seems to be working reasonably well.

PS: Don't use the Express Install option unless you want everything on your computer copied to M$ servers and "targeted offers".
Fortunately I read all the fine print and did a custom install.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets