LOL - HELP ... (Please)

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

LOL - HELP ... (Please)

Postby JK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:40 pm

Hey Peeps, hoping you can help me out here ... I need to organise a section for a quiz, and like yesterday, and what I need to do is take snapshots of some MP3 files, so that I can play them back, and people have to guess the Title and Artist etc.

My first question is, does Windows XP have anything within it already to allow me to do this, or do I need to download a program of some sort?

Lol .. My second question is, if I have to download something, does anyone know what?? I don't mind if I have to pay for it lol, so long as it's within reason (preferably less than the cost of a slab of Pale) ..

Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated .. Thanks guys!!

CP
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:47 pm

My limited knowledge suggests that this can't be done- I know what your after, perhaps the "old-fashioned" method of CD to tape?
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:51 pm

It definately can be done but I've only ever had to snip "midi" files and not mp3 files.
Dissident is more knowledgable than me on IT subjects like this so he may help out. If I get some time tomorrow I'll see what I can find out for you.
I only did a quick google search and found this site: http://www.e-soft.co.uk/
but haven't looked at it in detail.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2054 times
Been liked: 3903 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:54 pm

Thanks lads, that would be great ... I've got Diss' email addy so I might shoot him off a quick one (that could be taken the wrong way), and see if he can shed any light on the subject!

Cheers boys,
JK
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:41 pm

Wohoo ... Success!!

Just managed to find a trial program called AAA Recorder, which allows me to create .Wav copies of any MP3 and then re-convert back to MP3 format .. The evaluation version is perfect too in that it only allows for 40 sec recordings which is more than I need for this purpose, if anyone ever needs a copy let me know and I'll email it to you!

Cheers,
CP
JK
Coach

Postby Dissident » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 pm

Got email.
Replied
Information refused :(

;)

(for the record, Power MP3 Cutter is what I've used - 60 seconds with shareware)
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby felicity shagwell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:24 pm

You've obviously found one, but for anyone else who is interested, I use a program called Dexster. Very useful for cutting just the bits you want out of an MP3 file:

"Dexster is a perfect audio editor tool for your music production that supports many popular audio formats. Dexster audio editor provides cool and easy-to-use interface that allow you to edit an audio file visually (Cut, Copy, Delete Select, Delete Silence, Paste, Paste From File,Mix, Mix From File); apply different effects(Amplify, Compressor, Delay, Envelope, Equalizer, Expander, Fade, Flanger, Invert, Normalize, Phaser, Reverb, Reverse, Silence, Stretch, Trim, Vibrato); Insert noise and silence in an audio file; Insert and change described information about a marker; Apply different filters to the selected part of an audio file (Band Pass Filter, FFT Filter, High Pass Filter, High Shelf Filter, Low Pass Filter, Low Shelf Filter, Notch Filter); Record an audio file from a microphone or from other input device; Play an audio file or any part of it; Convert an audio file from one format to another. Dexster audio editor supports audio format of uncompressed WAV PCM,compressed WAV (ADPCM, GSM, DSP and others),MP2 (MPEG 1/2 Layer-2),MP3 (MPEG 1/2 Layer-3),VOX (Dialogic ADPCM),WMA (Windows Media Audio 9),RAW audio (PCM, A-LAW, U-LAW),MPC (MusicPack),AVI (audio track),Ogg Vorbis (Version 1.0),G.721, G.723, G.726,AIFF (Apple audio format) and AU (UNIX audio format)."

http://www.tomdownload.com/new_add/new2 ... exster.htm - this is the full version, but you can download a trial version that gives you the basic functions. Might have to do a google search to find the free version. It's great because you can actually see what you are selecting, and just highlight a section of the track and hit delete until you've got the bit you want.

A lot of ripping programs will also rip a set section of a track if you have the song on CD.
felicity shagwell

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby zipzap » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:50 pm

You can do it in Cool Edit too.
Or just use iPod Music Quiz. Oh, that's right, iPods suck :lol:
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets