The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby CK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:13 am

After a record 16 years as state ALP leader, it will be interesting to see if Mike Rann can continue to survive the emerging mood within his own party for change. Michael O'Brien has admitted putting forward a proposal for him to stand as deputy with Jay Weatherill to stand as leader in a ballot, but Weatherill has flatly denied this.

It is apparent that Kevin Foley's tenure on the deputy leadership is slipping, but the problem appears to be finding a credible alternative. Some of the leadership contenders, such as John Hill appear, on face value, to have their best days behind them, so any change will only appear temporary.

On the other side, the Liberals are slowly making inroads, but haven't seemed able to land enough knockout punches to capitalise on the public mood. Both sides seem to lack a younger, dynamic, immediate leadership alternative. Isobel Redmond appears to be doing a solid job, but is that translating into public opinion that she is ready to take the reins?

Overall, can both parties go the next 12-18 months with their current leadership teams and if so, where will this leave both parties by the next state election. Despite there being no State Bank-type issue here, could the next election result in a similar result to 1993 for the ALP?
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Psyber » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:20 am

A former ALP Minister and old school friend says Mike is hanging in there with the aim of becoming the longest serving SA ALP Premier despite the fact that most of the party wants him gone well before the next election.
He has said his money is on the Liberal Party winning the next election so long as Isobel stays leader.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:47 am

I'd agree with both of those sentiments.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby GWW » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:37 am

How much worse do these clowns need to get til they're compared to NSW Labor Govt? I didn't mind Rann 18 months ago now I just see him as one big joke.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby southee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Psyber wrote:A former ALP Minister and old school friend says Mike is hanging in there with the aim of becoming the longest serving SA ALP Premier despite the fact that most of the party wants him gone well before the next election.
He has said his money is on the Liberal Party winning the next election so long as Isobel stays leader.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5961626005

Rann/Foley stay.....wonderful news for the ALP faithful :roll:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby dedja » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Ranndy will get the record then bugger off ... Labor are a laughing stock and should be swept from office in 2014.

The only way for them to survive is for the Libs to self implode as only they can ... as long as they can somehow keep a lid on the warring family wars they may prevail.

What a sad state of affairs we are in.

PS.

Michael O'Brien's career is over.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby southee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:10 pm

dedja wrote:Ranndy will get the record then bugger off ... Labor are a laughing stock and should be swept from office in 2014.

The only way for them to survive is for the Libs to self implode as only they can ... as long as they can somehow keep a lid on the warring family wars they may prevail.

What a sad state of affairs we are in.

PS.

Michael O'Brien's career is over.

I had to laugh at Thursday's "set up" between Michael O'Brien with Rann/Foley in parliament. All laughing and joking as Rann looked up at the camera's.....so staged!!! :lol:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:25 pm

O'Brien should never have been a minister.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby CK » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Treasurer Kevin Foley bashed outside the Marble Bar on Sunday morning:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/prominent ... 5962251071
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:59 am

like most people here I can see Labor losing the next state election here, they are battling in melbourne, they lost in wa, hung parliament in tassie, NSW aint popular and I would expect them locally to be voted out next election, mind you it would be nice if we saw the liberals out and about at some stage!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:like most people here I can see Labor losing the next state election here, they are battling in melbourne, they lost in wa, hung parliament in tassie, NSW aint popular and I would expect them locally to be voted out next election, mind you it would be nice if we saw the liberals out and about at some stage!

I bet Foley wishes he hadn't gone out and about... :lol:
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 am

CK wrote:Treasurer Kevin Foley bashed outside the Marble Bar on Sunday morning:

"I was just a guy walking down the street"

No, you're the states Treasurer who, at 3:30 in the morning, was wandering the city streets ( once again ) and why the hell would he be doing this? Remember seeing the headline "Playboy of the West".

Well, time to grow up "Kev"... :roll:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:54 pm

I didnt know there was a curfew in South Australia now.

Surely you should be able to walk the streets without some tosser performing a gutless act even if it is on a politician that isnt the most popular person in the world
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm

gossipgirl wrote:I didnt know there was a curfew in South Australia now.

Surely you should be able to walk the streets without some tosser performing a gutless act even if it is on a politician that isnt the most popular person in the world

No, there is no curfew. I can only suggest your post confirms that common sense just 'aint so common anymore.

In no way do I believe gutless violence is acceptable, but times and places add an element of risk to what you are being exposed to and some people should know better.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tipper » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 pm

i agree that you should be able to, but unfortunately i think you will find this sort of thing happens every friday and saturday night in town. the only difference here is that if it really was "just a guy walking down the street" it wouldnt be front page news. nothing like a bit of a beat up is there. "his significant injuries were clearly visible" i have seen bigger marks on someones face from a shaving cut!

if it was anyone else it would be lucky to get a tiny article buried in the paper and asking anyone with info to contact crimestoppers.

i also loved the article in the paper where it said he had been "drinking earlier in the evening, but denied being intoxicated" then further down "he spent yesterday morning sleeping off the attack" :lol: :lol: yeah that is what i was doing sunday too, sleeping of an assault, nothing at all to do with drinking! :lol:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:02 pm

CK wrote:Treasurer Kevin Foley bashed outside the Marble Bar on Sunday morning:

Our Political landscape? It's 'interesting' isn't it. Both Foley and Rann assaulted in about 12 months. That's gotta say something about our political landscape.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Gingernuts » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Booney wrote:

No, there is no curfew. I can only suggest your post confirms that common sense just 'aint so common anymore.

In no way do I believe gutless violence is acceptable, but times and places add an element of risk to what you are being exposed to and some people should know better.

He is quite possibly the least popular person in the state right now.

Wandering the streets of Adelaide @ 3:30am is probably not a good idea for a bloke who's been bad mouthing bikies and/or sacking half the public service. He's lucky he only ended up with a black eye really.
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby JK » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:10 pm

I agree .. I rarely venture in here and pretty much loathe Foley, but for people to think he shouldn't be able to walk the streets at whatever time he chooses is just plain crazy IMHO .. Every one of us should have that right.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:

I agree .. I rarely venture in here and pretty much loathe Foley, but for people to think he shouldn't be able to walk the streets at whatever time he chooses is just plain crazy IMHO .. Every one of us should have that right.

Agreed CP, we do, we also have the right to exercise better judgment and not place oursleves in these positions. As mentioned above this sort of thing ( sadly ) is an all too often occurence and I stay away from the city if possible to avoid this type of incident. Innocent parties are all too aften the victim, having said that, a public figure being in such a place IMO is even more dangerous. I would also like to know what his "good samaritan act" was...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Booney wrote:
Constance_Perm wrote:

Agreed CP, we do, we also have the right to exercise better judgment and not place oursleves in these positions. As mentioned above this sort of thing ( sadly ) is an all too often occurence and I stay away from the city if possible to avoid this type of incident. Innocent parties are all too aften the victim, having said that, a public figure being in such a place IMO is even more dangerous. I would also like to know what his "good samaritan act" was...

Dont disagree with those other points mate, which are seperate issues, but for some people to suggest (not necessarily on here) he shouldn't be out at those times IMHO is unfair.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics