Golf in general

Golf in general

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:08 pm

I think we need a dedicated thread to prattle on about golf, golf experiences and golf chatter in general. The existing golf course reviews thread is ripper and I don't want to dilute its role, just start an all encompassing opportunity for golfers to rave on.
The Ryder Cup this morning was edge of the seat stuff surely?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Re: Golf in general

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:03 pm

I love the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup, team golf is massively under rated, would love to see a Davis Cup style annual tournament. Players love it, fans love it, TV loves it...need more of it.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:I love the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup, team golf is massively under rated, would love to see a Davis Cup style annual tournament. Players love it, fans love it, TV loves it...need more of it.

Can't see why they can't hold the Ryder/Presidents Cup/Some other cup each year with The USA, Europe and Internationals playing each other per year.

With Golf in the next Olympics is there plans for team events plus the individual event?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Some sort of world cup competition would be awesome. Four Yanks, four actual Europeans, four Brits, four Asians, four Aussies/Kiwis etc in some sort of format over four days. Golf is a really good sport to be televised and if these players all wore country/region of origin uniforms it would be awesome.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby MatteeG » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 am

Dutchy wrote:I love the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup, team golf is massively under rated, would love to see a Davis Cup style annual tournament. Players love it, fans love it, TV loves it...need more of it.

x2
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:47 am

The Ryder/ Presidents Cups are 2 things I try not to miss. They are 2 of the biggest sporting events in the world. A World Cup would be the icing on the cake to these 2 competitions.

PS - Go the Europeans :prayer: :-bd
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:05 pm

not having fox means I dont get to see heaps of these types of events.
But agree with everyone, they are great to watch and team golf is good fun aswell
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Iron Fist wrote:not having fox means I dont get to see heaps of these types of events.
But agree with everyone, they are great to watch and team golf is good fun aswell

I live streamed a lot of them as I don't have fox either. It would be nice to see some of the play on FTA, but that will NEVER happen.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:11 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:not having fox means I dont get to see heaps of these types of events.

I live streamed a lot of them as I don't have fox either. It would be nice to see some of the play on FTA, but that will NEVER happen.

Yeah, why is that? WTF does 7, 9, 10, ABC and SBS haVe against golf?
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:

$$$ maybe?? Ch9 play The Masters and Channel 10 play all of the Aussie tournaments.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby Bulls forever » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:44 pm

The Ryder Cup just gone was IMO one of the greatest sporting events I have had the privilidge to watch, absolutely gripping TV, pity the TV director was not an Aussie such as David Hill, he would have captured a lot more golf and not wasted what seemed like ages watching blokes line up putts. This really goes for all the Tour events we see from USA, they seem to think that people want to watch them talking dribble rather than watching these absolute outstanding golfers playing shots we only dream of playing.

I also was lucky that Fox agreed to my bargaining and upgraded to HD and two IQ boxes for the same price I was paying for the normal stuff.

If you haven't got HD to watch sport, you are missing something, it is very hard to watch normal TV showing sport, ie the footy GF.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:

$$$ maybe?? Ch9 play The Masters and Channel 10 play all of the Aussie tournaments.

As announced on the Golf Australia Facebook page the Australian Open is back on 7 this year
heater31

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Bulls forever wrote:The Ryder Cup just gone was IMO one of the greatest sporting events I have had the privilidge to watch, absolutely gripping TV, pity the TV director was not an Aussie such as David Hill, he would have captured a lot more golf and not wasted what seemed like ages watching blokes line up putts. This really goes for all the Tour events we see from USA, they seem to think that people want to watch them talking dribble rather than watching these absolute outstanding golfers playing shots we only dream of playing.

I also was lucky that Fox agreed to my bargaining and upgraded to HD and two IQ boxes for the same price I was paying for the normal stuff.

If you haven't got HD to watch sport, you are missing something, it is very hard to watch normal TV showing sport, ie the footy GF.

I'm interested in this? Bargaining with Fox? I have had Austar for 12 years straight and never got a thing other than what I pay $80 a month for. I enquired about upgrading to a better service and they just wanted exta coin. My ten year old remote threw the towel in a couple of years ago and I had to go thru the Spanish inquisition before they reluctantly agreed to send me a new one. The box I use is about as quick as an old 256k IBM twin slot computer.
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby heater31 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:10 am

heater31 wrote:With Golf in the next Olympics is there plans for team events plus the individual event?

Looks like here is the answer.....

Golf's miracle at Medinah

Massive thumbs down from me if they don't change the format by allowing the professionals to play an individual event. No different from a normal week on the tour except no prize money. Leave that for the Top Amateurs IMHO
heater31

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 am

watched some golf last night on fox.
Was the web.com event or something, had vj singh playing.
Some bloke had a 4ft putt to win the tournament and he had drained 46 from 46 putts over the 4 days at 5ft. I know they blokes are pro's but how good is that!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Jase » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 am

Sky Pilot wrote:
Bulls forever wrote:The Ryder Cup just gone was IMO one of the greatest sporting events I have had the privilidge to watch, absolutely gripping TV, pity the TV director was not an Aussie such as David Hill, he would have captured a lot more golf and not wasted what seemed like ages watching blokes line up putts. This really goes for all the Tour events we see from USA, they seem to think that people want to watch them talking dribble rather than watching these absolute outstanding golfers playing shots we only dream of playing.

I'm interested in this? Bargaining with Fox? I have had Austar for 12 years straight and never got a thing other than what I pay $80 a month for. I enquired about upgrading to a better service and they just wanted exta coin. My ten year old remote threw the towel in a couple of years ago and I had to go thru the Spanish inquisition before they reluctantly agreed to send me a new one. The box I use is about as quick as an old 256k IBM twin slot computer.

Everytime we have had an issue with Foxtel, we ring up and say that we've had enough, we are going to pull the plug and just do without. As they are trying to grow the brand here in SA they will try and help. We've had free movies, discounted prices and other free stuff each time....
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:59 am

Jase wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

Everytime we have had an issue with Foxtel, we ring up and say that we've had enough, we are going to pull the plug and just do without. As they are trying to grow the brand here in SA they will try and help. We've had free movies, discounted prices and other free stuff each time....

That's interesting. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Jase wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

Had IQ for nearly 3 years after having various packages for nearly 8 years.

Decided to pull the plug on FOX, they gave us nothing.

Never going back.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby country nomad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Anyone played the Christmas Island Golf Course? There is apparently a 9 hole course there and it is a very good quality course from what I've heard.
country nomad

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby cheetah » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:17 pm

bhas club in port pirie should move their licence out to the pirie golf club. A pokie club out their would inject some cash into the course. plus there is nothing out there. the closest place is the port rooms. with drink driving people can simply walk over there. with a few lighted pathways could add to the decadence of the place.
9km training
cheetah
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf