SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby Demon Juke » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:37 pm

Suri wrote:Peter Scheuffele the new A grade coach at Rosewater

Wasn't the reason he retired from coaching the cats was because of his health?
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:39 pm

Are you for real BP? Using technicalities such as the ones stated by you to justify not attending all club functions. It doesn't involve me but shit me if I was a coach and a player gave me those reasons such as "you guys don't pay me enough" then I'd tell you to **** off and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out....

Not intending to open a can of worms just a stupid thing to write on a forum. Free country but....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby BPwizard » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 am

Yes Laughing Kookaburra in hindsight maybe not the best way i explained that i don't think as coach you are required to attend every functions the club organises. But was meaning senior and Junior club functions i would not have time to work full time if i attended all of them, they would need to pay me more for the work i miss out on, need to work to live and keep the wife happy and the house with all the kids running around in it. Plus we did not pay any players at Angle Vale and i coached for a very minimal fee as i knew it was a new club with not opportunity to generate income with out major sponsors and home oval when i first went there. I always sponsored back in services or equipment what i was being paid.

With club functions there is time in everyones calendar that certain functions are gunna clash with footy club and non footy club, I think it is big to say that Coach should be at every function and never miss one, because other things are planned and organise. Players miss functions due to other committments so why cant a coach.

This whole lil debt started due to on person who stating i organised a function for players when the club had a function which i did state early a Group of players organised a night out for tea with player and wives and partners on a night nothing was on, but the club changed there function 3 times and told players it on Tuesday night before the Saturday, and as we all know footy takes up alot of time for everyone and the wives and partners did not want to change the night that had been organised. Things clash all the time everyone has busy life with footy and non footy.

Hope this clarfies it all up
BPwizard
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby lutz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:57 am

morell wrote:Hey everyone, welcome to my list of...

*drumroll*

morell's Football Myths!

1. You play the way you train.
2. Pre-seasons are really important in amateur football.
3. Stretching achieves anything, ever.
4. Every club pays players.
5. Getting to a game early allows for a superior preperation.
6. Business slacks make you a more professional and disciplined club.

I could not disagree with you more on most of these points. If this is the attitude of most of the people at MP, then no wonder you languish between D6 and 7.
I think you do play the way you train. Training at high intensity for the skills used on the weekend are of much more use than just going for a kick and a catch, or pissing around not giving a fu^k. You won't improve unless you push yourself at training.

Pre-seasons are really important in my opinion even at amateur level, it brings everyone together earlier, uniting the group, and like my point above, if you push yourself to get something out of it, you will get beneficial results. There is a huge difference in fitness and attitude between the clubs I know who start training in November, and the ones who start training in January. You may say that most players will keep themselves in good shape, but this is unrealistic; I think you'd get a couple per side that would actually do this, especially to the same standard as pre-season training.

I'm no doctor or physical well being expert, but in my case stretching is important to my performance on the track and recovery. I'm not the most flexible bloke going around, so it may not be critical for everyone.

Getting to a game earlier does allow for superior preparation. At least from my own experience anyway, in terms of getting into the right frame of mind, getting a feel for the footy, strapping/massage, etc. Even in my summer sport of gaelic footy which isn't taken as seriously, and is less strict on report time, I know that in general, the earluier I get there, the more prepared I am to perform at my best.

Maybe not every club pays players, but a majority would these days I'd reckon.

And on the whole slacks debate, I don't know whether it would actually make you perform better on any given day, but it does represent a buy in by the group, and a uniform approach. I have played for sides which do and do not enforce the policy. I don't really mind either way, but it requires little effort and organization, and does make for a more professional looking playing group than guys rocking up in trackies and ugg boots. It might even signify to some players to take their preparation more seriously and professionally. In my experience, you can tell the guys who don't buy into the group culture, and aren't on the same page as the rest of the group, as they are the one's who manage to 'forget' or 'misplace' parts of it each week, or are too lazy to buy a $10 pair of slacks from K-mart.
I don't see why you're so against it. It seems like you're arguing against it just for the sake of it.
lutz
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:59 am

Demon Juke wrote:
Suri wrote:Peter Scheuffele the new A grade coach at Rosewater

Wasn't the reason he retired from coaching the cats was because of his health?

He went on a four day Footy trip to the Gold Coast with the boys so his health cant be too bad
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:09 am

*drumroll*

morell's Football Myths!

:lol: You are surely taking the piss with this list no?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby marbles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:04 pm

BPwizard wrote:Yes Laughing Kookaburra in hindsight maybe not the best way i explained that i don't think as coach you are required to attend every functions the club organises. But was meaning senior and Junior club functions i would not have time to work full time if i attended all of them, they would need to pay me more for the work i miss out on, need to work to live and keep the wife happy and the house with all the kids running around in it. Plus we did not pay any players at Angle Vale and i coached for a very minimal fee as i knew it was a new club with not opportunity to generate income with out major sponsors and home oval when i first went there. I always sponsored back in services or equipment what i was being paid.

With club functions there is time in everyones calendar that certain functions are gunna clash with footy club and non footy club, I think it is big to say that Coach should be at every function and never miss one, because other things are planned and organise. Players miss functions due to other committments so why cant a coach.

This whole lil debt started due to on person who stating i organised a function for players when the club had a function which i did state early a Group of players organised a night out for tea with player and wives and partners on a night nothing was on, but the club changed there function 3 times and told players it on Tuesday night before the Saturday, and as we all know footy takes up alot of time for everyone and the wives and partners did not want to change the night that had been organised. Things clash all the time everyone has busy life with footy and non footy.

Hope this clarfies it all up

geeze the bloke took the club to its first grand final and scored promotion like no other coach before at the club has, but geeze he didnt wear black slacks and failed to attend the local fairy floss party - just not good enough BP
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Jetters » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:11 pm

*drumroll*

morell's Football Myths!

Top knotch attitude.

Anyone with half an idea could see how these things could help a footy side.
Some may disagree to the degree; I think wearing slacks to a game is a bit of a wank, but having a team looking unified helps create the right attitude.

Pre-season is not really important... you guys are just that natural down at Mitchell Park that you dont need to put in the effort??

Not every club would hand over $$ to players, but every club provides incentives in some way.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby sprinttospace » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:01 pm

jeepers it's going to be a long pre season if this keeps up ....
sprinttospace

Postby morell » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Well at least we've got people talking.

A bit of explanation for my myths:

There is no correlation between the performance and overall quality of a Thursday training and how a team performs on the Saturday. I am talking at the micro level. At the macro level, yes, how a team gels, works together as a team and focusses themselves over the course of a season does matter.

This is more addressing the "oh we played like shit, it was because we trained poorly on Thursday" sort of thinking that grinds my gears.

Some of the best trainings have resulted in spectacular losses, some of the worse trainings have resulted amazing wins. There is nothing in it. Trust me, I actually used to measure it mathematically. I rated the overall performance of the thursday training out of 10, weighted the expected result on the Saturday based on previous performance and ladder position, %, home v away etc, and then tried to correlate the training score to the performance on Sunday.

There was no statistical, empirical proof of the quality of the training impacting the result on the Saturday. Strangely, the pattern that I noticed, if we had a poor training before an expected loss, we performed better than expected, conversely, if we had a good training before an expected win, we performed worse.

I think the one true "myth" that gets trotted out is that this game is played above the shoulders more than any of us could have anticipated.

For everyone. Some people might benefit more than others. In my opinion and observations, they have far too much influence in how a team is prepared and considered. This influence becomes more important as you go up the ranks as the talent is more evenly spread so the little things matter more.

At Div 7, 6 and even Div 5 level, the more fundamental aspects of the game should take priority. Being able to kick and catch. Being able to hit a target by hand and foot, understanding the flow of the game and using intelligence etc are in my opinion, far more important than undertaking a great pre-season.

Of course some level of fitness is required to be able to run around and perform the skills, but I think generally speaking, at the lower levels it isn't as important as people think.

Also, pre-season training before christmas is hilariously a complete and utter waste of time.

I remember having the debate with I think zedman way back when. Stretching is more important after a game but even then the affects are negligible. Numerous studies have been shown the exhibits proof which shows it actually does more harm than good for soft tissue injuries.

Here is good read:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/122341.php

I am telling you. Mitchell Park do not pay players. Many old scholar clubs do not pay players.

5. Getting to a game early allows for a superior preparation.

All getting to the game early does is allow for more distractions, more claptrap, more things to go wrong. The other thing having too much time before a game does is allow for, erm, a premature, erm peak? Going too hard too early can be as disastrous as starting too late.

There is a balance there, but getting to the game early does not always result in a great preparation. Its more about timing and quality of the prep, rather than the quantity.

Been done and explained. :D

* NOTE: these thoughts are my own and do not represent the thoughts of the broader Mitchell Park Football club, which is probably going to kick my white arse for thsese comments.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Cohiba » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:27 pm

morell wrote:Well at least we've got people talking.

A bit of explanation for my myths:

There is no correlation between the performance and overall quality of a Thursday training and how a team performs on the Saturday. I am talking at the micro level. At the macro level, yes, how a team gels, works together as a team and focusses themselves over the course of a season does matter.

This is more addressing the "oh we played like shit, it was because we trained poorly on Thursday" sort of thinking that grinds my gears.

Some of the best trainings have resulted in spectacular losses, some of the worse trainings have resulted amazing wins. There is nothing in it. Trust me, I actually used to measure it mathematically. I rated the overall performance of the thursday training out of 10, weighted the expected result on the Saturday based on previous performance and ladder position, %, home v away etc, and then tried to correlate the training score to the performance on Sunday.

There was no statistical, empirical proof of the quality of the training impacting the result on the Saturday. Strangely, the pattern that I noticed, if we had a poor training before an expected loss, we performed better than expected, conversely, if we had a good training before an expected win, we performed worse.

I think the one true "myth" that gets trotted out is that this game is played above the shoulders more than any of us could have anticipated.

For everyone. Some people might benefit more than others. In my opinion and observations, they have far too much influence in how a team is prepared and considered. This influence becomes more important as you go up the ranks as the talent is more evenly spread so the little things matter more.

At Div 7, 6 and even Div 5 level, the more fundamental aspects of the game should take priority. Being able to kick and catch. Being able to hit a target by hand and foot, understanding the flow of the game and using intelligence etc are in my opinion, far more important than undertaking a great pre-season.

Of course some level of fitness is required to be able to run around and perform the skills, but I think generally speaking, at the lower levels it isn't as important as people think.

Also, pre-season training before christmas is hilariously a complete and utter waste of time.

I remember having the debate with I think zedman way back when. Stretching is more important after a game but even then the affects are negligible. Numerous studies have been shown the exhibits proof which shows it actually does more harm than good for soft tissue injuries.

Here is good read:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/122341.php

I am telling you. Mitchell Park do not pay players. Many old scholar clubs do not pay players.

5. Getting to a game early allows for a superior preparation.

All getting to the game early does is allow for more distractions, more claptrap, more things to go wrong. The other thing having too much time before a game does is allow for, erm, a premature, erm peak? Going too hard too early can be as disastrous as starting too late.

There is a balance there, but getting to the game early does not always result in a great preparation. Its more about timing and quality of the prep, rather than the quantity.

Been done and explained. :D

* NOTE: these thoughts are my own and do not represent the thoughts of the broader Mitchell Park Football club, which is probably going to kick my white arse for thsese comments.

The master of circumlocution..... :lol:
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby marbles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 pm

could we gather confirmation as to which premiership teams this season wore black slacks and which one didnt? from div 1 right down to div 7...
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm guessing there are more teams that wore blacks slacks that didn't win flags than teams that won them
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby marbles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:I'm guessing there are more teams that wore blacks slacks that didn't win flags than teams that won them

ROCS?
Portland?
Payneham?
The 4th div winner?
KEnilworth?
Westminister?
Ingle Farm?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby morell » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:44 pm

I asked some guys from PHOS(although they did try) and PAOC and nope, no slacks.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Cohiba wrote:The master of circumlocution..... :lol:
I tried using fewer words and everyone though I was crazy and accused Mitchell Park of being continual cellar dwellers because of it.

Never mind we have one of the lowest playing age populations per club per CCD. Nothing at all to do with the fact we have a strict no player payment culture. Nothing at all to do with we are in one of highest density areas for club per sq/km.

Nup. Mitchell Parks woes are because we don't train hard enough, we prefer jeans over slacks and think that optimal timing before a game can work well.

If only we knew this earlier ! Damn.
morell
Coach

Postby sprinttospace » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Aleks Bojanic will coach BOSFC A grade in 2014.
Coached Mitcham in 2013 and previously involved with Echunga and as a player at Goody Saints and Strath according to the bio from our president.
5th coach at BOS since we started in 2006 and the 2nd to come from outside the club / school environment which I think is a real positive to bring new ideas and people into a young club.
Good luck to him, I hope he goes well.
sprinttospace

Postby citycoaster17 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:09 am

sprinttospace wrote:Aleks Bojanic will coach BOSFC A grade in 2014.
Coached Mitcham in 2013 and previously involved with Echunga and as a player at Goody Saints and Strath according to the bio from our president.
5th coach at BOS since we started in 2006 and the 2nd to come from outside the club / school environment which I think is a real positive to bring new ideas and people into a young club.
Good luck to him, I hope he goes well.

Alex is a really good man, you could do worse.
citycoaster17
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Yank Man » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:19 pm

*drumroll*

morell's Football Myths!

This has clearly been done to death morell, BUT,

1. You DO play the way you train, over the season and not week by week.
2. Pre-seasons are critical in amatuer footy. To build the bond and unite the group. Not trash em.
3. Stretching is EVERYTHING at amatuer league level, it dramatically improves recovery before a night on the piss.
4. Most clubs pay a handful of players, that's why they progress.
5. Professional clubs encourage A grade players to get to the oval early to support the B's. Thus improving preparation.
6. Club attire is a 50/50. For me, most of the class of 2011/12 at MP were plumbers, electricians, concreters, mechanics, brikkies, laborers etc, etc. More than half of them worked for themselves so getting dolled up to go to the footy and play Saturday was like going to a wedding or funeral for them. So all I asked was to wear a club top and dress like you liked yourself. They all dressed to the nines for club functions I might say, and that was their choice as a group. Tells you something about a premiership team I guess. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby dee man » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:07 am

reading the division six thread is like being at a board meeting at st.kilda and listening to the collective intelligence of the minds that run that club
we stand as one
we fight as one
we win and lose as one
we are one
dee man
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League