Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby the wonder elephant » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:Geez can you smell the desperation from some clubs at the moment. Start of November and starting to offer senior colts from rival clubs money??? That's pretty average form. But if that's the way we are doing things then I guess that's just the way it is

Spit it out mate who are you talking about ?
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby cracka » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:23 pm

the wonder elephant wrote:
LuvsFooty wrote:Geez can you smell the desperation from some clubs at the moment. Start of November and starting to offer senior colts from rival clubs money??? That's pretty average form. But if that's the way we are doing things then I guess that's just the way it is

Yeah come on, name names & let the sledging begin.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Yank Man » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:31 pm

cracka wrote:
the wonder elephant wrote:

Yeah come on, name names & let the sledging begin.

There's no sledging in GSFL, cracka, just summisations. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby fiftympenalty » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 am

Boy oh boy that's a bit vague luvsfooty

Any chance you could fill us in
fiftympenalty
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby livefooty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Victor harbour and mt compass and before anyone from those clubs pipes up and tries to say they haven't ive been told by these boys first hand! i should post the names of the 2 w#%kers!! But won't
livefooty
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Robe

Postby BAYSRULE » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:42 pm

I agree LF... Victor do it every year.. worked last year... shame... name em go on...
BAYSRULE
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Encounter Bay

Postby Old Blue New Tiger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:15 pm

What a Willunga haven't , Ballas boys and Altus spring to mind ( very smart Club ) , and why wouldn't Clubs do it ? Money is the issue with the DUMB amounts paid to overrated blokes who just chase the coin. Get used to it , there are plenty of young blokes out there who only play A grade for the points .. Look around Clubs you can build your list locally without paying massive coin. No different to the SANFL with players changing Clubs.
Old Blue New Tiger
Rookie

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Kersbrook

Postby BJ Ernest » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 pm

No offers of money to any of these players to come to Willunga other than an opportunity to play elsewhere that they approached us either through school mates or friends at the club!
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Old Blue New Tiger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Hey BJ not having a shot mate , and as you have said no of money was involved ( you blokes are the bench mark ) on how to build and run a Club. BUT I think Clubs should look locally as most young lads , as you have pointed out are mates looking for a better enviroment.
Old Blue New Tiger
Rookie

Has liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Kersbrook

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Certainly may play but don't think interested in coaching tho.

Think this was still right up til a few weeks ago.

Ben Warren announced as Norwoods Senior coach for next 3 years.

Think Norwood were pretty determined not to take NO for an answer.

Big gamble by Norwood signing a untried coach but time will tell.

Norwood v Eagles will have a bit of extra spice to it from a coaching perspective with Bens premiership coach at the Creek , Murgatroyd being the Eagles mid field coach this year. Think both will be VERY keen to notch 1st blood. ;)
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby fiftympenalty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Congrats to Ben Warren
what a great story!
fiftympenalty
Rookie

Postby BJ Ernest » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Old Blue New Tiger wrote:Hey BJ not having a shot mate , and as you have said no of money was involved ( you blokes are the bench mark ) on how to build and run a Club. BUT I think Clubs should look locally as most young lads , as you have pointed out are mates looking for a better enviroment.

Not a problem at all Tiger, just clarifying in the cases mentioned there was no money exchanged whereas I believe what LF might be talking about is $$ for footballers.

Sadly money is becoming a massive factor and 18-19 year olds are well aware theres good $$ out there and believe they are entitled to be paid to play football because they've heard other players are.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby That Old Chestnut » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:19 pm

You may be right LF, I wouldn't know, but I do find it hard to believe that a club who has dominated the JC and SC in the last 3-4 years would go chasing young blokes from other clubs. And if this success is the result of the 'poaching' as you say; I would suggest it has now become young blokes chasing success, there is no loyalty in footy at any level any more. People want to be in a successful environment.
Do you take what these lads tell you as gospel...? If you are genuinely concerned about it like you sound you are, pick up the phone and address it with their president or those involved.....or complain on here and do nothing then wonder why the lads leave!
That Old Chestnut

Postby livefooty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 am

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a keyboard warrior/hero, but when I got wind of my lads being spoken to by these blokes I approached my club and they said I wasn't allowed to approach or go around to these blokes houses! I suppose it's a little bit more personal to me cause I dedicated 2 years coaching these lads and to hear other sides are ringing them really gets to me! But like I said to the boys they will make their own choices in life so if they choose to go play for money for another side inside the league you grew up at then that's a bad choice they will have to live with! You loose respect instantly! I look at a bloke like a Mitch portlock that could easily go play anywhere for huge coin but chooses to stay loyal to his club that invested time in him! Now that's loyalty n respect he has well and truely earnt! That sort of stuff is a dying breed and then you get these vultures feeding on it!! My belief is there is an un written law in local footy you don't poach colts! Unless they leave for family or a fall out!
Rant over...
livefooty
Under 16s

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Robe

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:57 am

Haha might want to check where Mitchy played his junior footy ;) Agreed loyal as they come to Willunga and I am not suggesting they "poached" him but people do play footy for reasons other than cash so a junior changing clubs going into seniors isn't always that straight forward.

I'd say only a small percentage of these football mercenaries have any real lasting memories once they finish their careers. If the memory of their bank account being inflated each week is enough for them so be it. I think it's up to the clubs to start paying people what they are worth and not splashing around cash because they have it.

Of course that would require all clubs to agree to that so there is buckleys of that happening.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Yank Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 pm

BJ Ernest wrote:
Old Blue New Tiger wrote:Hey BJ not having a shot mate , and as you have said no of money was involved ( you blokes are the bench mark ) on how to build and run a Club. BUT I think Clubs should look locally as most young lads , as you have pointed out are mates looking for a better enviroment.

Not a problem at all Tiger, just clarifying in the cases mentioned there was no money exchanged whereas I believe what LF might be talking about is $$ for footballers.

Sadly money is becoming a massive factor and 18-19 year olds are well aware theres good $$ out there and believe they are entitled to be paid to play football because they've heard other players are.

I said 10 years ago guys that money would eventually strangle our great game at grassroots level. I saw good kids being poached then but the $$$ were peanuts and nearly all stayed loyal. Now?????????well clubs have a bit of coin to splash, so do you chuck it at a gun who gives you 1 or 2 years, or a kid who can maybe give you 10. and you are right BJ, a couple of hundred to a 17/18 year old is like Christmas. Hard I know but all clubs need to work closely with the lads and their parents to ensure they stay and for future growth of your club. :(
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby BAYSRULE » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:01 pm

https://www.facebook.com/#!/MBCourierSp ... n=timeline
Mt Barker Courier Sport,
There is some big news to come next week about the Allocated Points System. What are everybody's thoughts on the current system in South Australian country football? Should it be accompanied by a salary cap?

Surely not thinking about a salary cap and points... Salary cap didnt work before why would they go back......
BAYSRULE
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Encounter Bay

Postby Ramadash » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:11 pm

livefooty wrote:Victor harbour and mt compass and before anyone from those clubs pipes up and tries to say they haven't ive been told by these boys first hand! i should post the names of the 2 w#%kers!! But won't

ok are these too the same knob cos luvsfooty has been on this forum for along time and usually makes sense until I read this

I think if a person wants to make a defamatory statement about a club atleast have the cahooners to be able to name the person
if this person really exsists I can guarantee if he's offering money or anything he has no authority. compass haven't even settled on coaches for junior grades.

So name names or shut the @%$# up.
premierships is what it is all about
Ramadash
Under 16s

Postby fiftympenalty » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Salary cap is a genuinely stupid idea!
The AFL can barely even keep track of accurate salaries, so how on earth could the gsfl.

A different points system is surely the way to go.
What about they basically halve the amount of points every club gets, however keeping players at the club will enable a faster drop in points that player is

Thus forcing a more local team and the need to recruit players that will stay in order for success?

Have said it before; the ratio of points per player to total allowed points is way off the mark. Any thoughts? I know my answer isn't ideal
fiftympenalty
Rookie

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Whats wrong with the points system now? Persoanlly i dont know too much about it and some tinkering may improve it slightly but what i do know is the the GSFL last season was probably one of the most even it has been for a long long long time with injury lists seemingly deciding matches quite often.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy