Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby cracka » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:44 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
cracka wrote:I don't think a 6 or 7 day break matters that much in amateur football.

Amateur?

We are talking about A-Grade football, not Reserves

Yeah I still call that amateur. Just because some players are getting overpaid I don't think that makes them semi professional. Anyway even in A grade metro or country footy a 6 or 7 day break is neither here nor there. Some clubs will play on Anzac day on a Tuesday & then back it up the following Saturday without it affecting them, we did it at Onkas once in the 90's.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:35 am

cracka wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
cracka wrote:I don't think a 6 or 7 day break matters that much in amateur football.

Amateur?

We are talking about A-Grade football, not Reserves

Yeah I still call that amateur. Just because some players are getting overpaid I don't think that makes them semi professional. Anyway even in A grade metro or country footy a 6 or 7 day break is neither here nor there. Some clubs will play on Anzac day on a Tuesday & then back it up the following Saturday without it affecting them, we did it at Onkas once in the 90's.

You may still call it amateur but it hasn't been amateur since the 40s
Semi-Professional would be the appropriate term
Even the amateur league abolished its amateur status and regulations in the 90s
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby sweendog » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 am

Ive seen alot of your games leather and id say they come under the VERY amateur bracket!!
oh when the saints go marching in
sweendog
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Moe » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:41 am

shoe boy wrote:Well talk about going out swinging! Peter slops Hislop gave what some would call one of the greatest or not so great speeches of all time during his application for position of director for the league.

Personally I feel it was refreshing to hear someone speak their mind and with the passion that he did so should make others that are elected to represent this league take note and not just bob their heads.

Congratulations to Tony Nichols/Mark McKay/and new to the board Katrine Hildyard good luck and just for the record Slops was defeated in a secret ballot. PS I wonder if any of the board voted for Slops????

Also programme is out with season starting 29/March catch up round *Hackham v Aldinga/Lonsdale v Marion

5 April Aldinga v Porties
Valley v Lonsdale
Marion v Cove
Brighton v MPark
Christies v MVale
Reynella V Flaggies
Noarlunga V Hackham
Towns Bye

Well MY opinion is: Change the Valley v Lonsdale & Marion v Cove games to Marion v Lonsdale & Cove v Valley and I reckon it's a good opening round.

Pretty close to playing neighboring clubs in round 1.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Waterboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:46 am

Moe wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Well talk about going out swinging! Peter slops Hislop gave what some would call one of the greatest or not so great speeches of all time during his application for position of director for the league.

Personally I feel it was refreshing to hear someone speak their mind and with the passion that he did so should make others that are elected to represent this league take note and not just bob their heads.

Congratulations to Tony Nichols/Mark McKay/and new to the board Katrine Hildyard good luck and just for the record Slops was defeated in a secret ballot. PS I wonder if any of the board voted for Slops????

Also programme is out with season starting 29/March catch up round *Hackham v Aldinga/Lonsdale v Marion

Valley v Lonsdale
Marion v Cove
Brighton v MPark
Christies v MVale
Reynella V Flaggies
Noarlunga V Hackham
Towns Bye

Well MY opinion is: Change the Valley v Lonsdale & Marion v Cove games to Marion v Lonsdale & Cove v Valley and I reckon it's a good opening round.

Except that Lonsdale play Marion the week before in the catch up round
Waterboy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Moe » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Waterboy wrote:
Moe wrote:

Valley v Lonsdale
Marion v Cove
Brighton v MPark
Christies v MVale
Reynella V Flaggies
Noarlunga V Hackham
Towns Bye

Except that Lonsdale play Marion the week before in the catch up round

Well yes, except that of course. Could we possibly change the match ups that week perhaps?
It is all hypothetical anyway.
I would love to see Morphy Parks take on Marion in a night fixture this season, with a past players from both clubs having a pissup in one of the 34 function rooms at Club Marion.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby happilyretired » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 am

When are teams getting back into pre season?

Have all coaching positions etc been finalized through the league?
happilyretired
Rookie

Postby Straight Line » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Hawks started last night
Straight Line
Rookie

Postby Keyser Soze » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:08 pm

happilyretired wrote:When are teams getting back into pre season?

Have all coaching positions etc been finalized through the league?

Plenty out at the wineflies including some high profile recruits, tough team to break into?
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 am

Some interesting info in the FDC report:

In 1989 "McLaren Flat win second premiership in a row, seek promotion but Reynella (bottom Div 1) unwilling to be relegated".

2000- "2 clubs dropped from Division 1 to Division 2 to assist with numbers, O’Sullivan Beach (bottom) & Flagstaff Hill (3rd bottom)."

Who was the club who finished 2nd bottom in 1999?

So it seems even back them the SFL made the bed we are now lying in. Promotion/relegation needs to be concrete otherwise it is useless.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Archer11 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I believe it was Noarlunga!!
Archer11

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Panther32 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:34 am

So how are the Cove boys handling a Dave Earl preseason???
Would be about 3 weeks into it now so I'm guessing you would have done the sand dune run at Pt Noarlunga and the Hill run at Old Noarlunga, just thank yourself lucky you can't do the Quarry run anymore!!!
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Secondsquare » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 am

I have heard that flaggies have recruited a good full forward ! Binns I think is his name ! Mcentee for reynella is a gun and with Golding leaving the competition is my tip to win the goal kicking easily this year ! Have heard Ramsey is staying at cove now but have lost there entire midfield Vick, Bennett's and hare so could be a long season for early ! Also heard minns trained at the shoe the other night but not sure why? Brighton have picked up a tall who got dropped or cut from myponga ,bit soft buy all reports!! Think they missed out on a couple they were trying to get! Also rumours that Johnny eagleton and maher might be going to Keith from valleys! And talk Cranston May retire!! All looking good for back to back at wine flies if all this happens!
Secondsquare

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Secondsquare wrote:I have heard that flaggies have recruited a good full forward ! Binns I think is his name ! Mcentee for reynella is a gun and with Golding leaving the competition is my tip to win the goal kicking easily this year ! Have heard Ramsey is staying at cove now but have lost there entire midfield Vick, Bennett's and hare so could be a long season for early ! Also heard minns trained at the shoe the other night but not sure why? Brighton have picked up a tall who got dropped or cut from myponga ,bit soft buy all reports!! Think they missed out on a couple they were trying to get! Also rumours that Johnny eagleton and maher might be going to Keith from valleys! And talk Cranston May retire!! All looking good for back to back at wine flies if all this happens!

Big Juice going around again?

After seeing McEntee in his stint at Marion he would want to have significantly improved to be considered a "gun".
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Keyser Soze » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Secondsquare wrote:I have heard that flaggies have recruited a good full forward ! Binns I think is his name ! Mcentee for reynella is a gun and with Golding leaving the competition is my tip to win the goal kicking easily this year ! Have heard Ramsey is staying at cove now but have lost there entire midfield Vick, Bennett's and hare so could be a long season for early ! Also heard minns trained at the shoe the other night but not sure why? Brighton have picked up a tall who got dropped or cut from myponga ,bit soft buy all reports!! Think they missed out on a couple they were trying to get! Also rumours that Johnny eagleton and maher might be going to Keith from valleys! And talk Cranston May retire!! All looking good for back to back at wine flies if all this happens!

After seeing McEntee in his stint at Marion he would want to have significantly improved to be considered a "gun".

Another ill-informed comment from ZC. Kicked 70 plus goals for Marion that year in a team that didn't play finals plus 5 in the assocation game and 90 plus goals in kntfl last year that is arguably an even/or better comp than SFL currently, plus he's now into the best team in the comp. Keep the dribble coming ZC would expect nothing less!
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:45 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:

Another ill-informed comment from ZC. Kicked 70 plus goals for Marion that year in a team that didn't play finals plus 5 in the assocation game and 90 plus goals in kntfl last year that is arguably an even/or better comp than SFL currently, plus he's now into the best team in the comp. Keep the dribble coming ZC would expect nothing less!

Touched a nerve did I?

I have no idea who you are or what you think you know about me, don't really care to either, but I said having seen him. Now considering I was playing for Morphett Vale and watched or played in games against Marion I thought he was a good player without being a "gun" as you seem to think.

Kicking 70 goals in the SFL is a good effort but lets face it when Marion are likely playing Aldinga and Hackham twice a year during that period it is not unreasonable to think he had opportunity to kick 40 goals in 4 games.

I can't believe I am going to say this but Scott Pollard is what I would consider a gun forward and McEntee WAS NOT in the same league as Pollard. See how I wrote WAS NOT Keyser Soze, that would suggest that I have given allowances that he may have improved.

So in summary absolutely nothing about my comment was ill-informed because I commented on my opinion of him from personal experience. Will probably do well at Reynella but I never saw him do anything against quality sides in his time at Marion.

I tell you what, if he kicks 100+ goals in a Premiership side then I will revisit my opinion of him. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything you could do to raise my opinion of you Keyser! ;)
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby Secondsquare » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:20 am

We'll having seen both pollard and mcentee play I think that they are both guns in s.f.l football ! Pollard wouldn't of kicked a hundred in Marion's side either! Mcentee also played a fair bit of league football where pollard only played reserves at glenelg so my opinion that his a gun still stands Z.C! He will win the goal kicking then? Hoffman I suppose !
Secondsquare

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:52 am

Secondsquare wrote:We'll having seen both pollard and mcentee play I think that they are both guns in s.f.l football ! Pollard wouldn't of kicked a hundred in Marion's side either! Mcentee also played a fair bit of league football where pollard only played reserves at glenelg so my opinion that his a gun still stands Z.C! He will win the goal kicking then? Hoffman I suppose !

Entitled to your opinion SS, as I am mine. You have obviously seen something that I haven't which is probably why I made it clear that after seeing him in his stint at Marion I wasn't impressed enough to call him a gun.

Personally I think the word gun is bandied around a bit too easily but hey that's just my opinion. Lucky we are on a forum that runs on people discussing opinions whilst sharing their opinion isn't it?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby words of wisdom » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:

After a few rounds they'll wish they had big Juice!
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby finals fever » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:03 am

Most sides would be wrapping up there pre-christmas sessions, how have the numbers been for everyone?
Any big name recruits coming into the league besides the ones already named?
finals fever

Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL