Ashes First Test Live Discussion

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes First Test Live Discussion

Postby happyhawk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:14 pm

on another note Jordan Silk scores another ton for tassie today. will he take rogers spot opening for australia at the completion of the series? a young bloke in form.
happyhawk
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: RSMU

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:34 pm

happyhawk wrote:on another note Jordan Silk scores another ton for tassie today. will he take rogers spot opening for australia at the completion of the series? a young bloke in form.

What is with all this love for Jordan Silk? Played less that 1 full sheild season and apparently he is the next Ricky Ponting. Let him settle at first class level before throwimg in into international cricket.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Another Trescothick, soft cock

You write some shit on here, but this takes the cake.

He didnt look too stressed giving Watson a send off a couple of days ago.
He was pretty chirpy over in England aswell.
Has a couple of innings where he craps his dacks against MJ and he is on the next plane home.
If he is going to give out lip he has to cop some in return

Clearly its a bit more serious than that. Takes some balls to kick a bloke when he's down........

Personally I think all this hype is quite amusing, its a bit like Richmond having a huge win, like they seem to do most years, on Frdiay night footy in Round 1 and thinking they're world beaters. There's a bloody long way to go.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Jim05 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:43 pm

heater31 wrote:
happyhawk wrote:on another note Jordan Silk scores another ton for tassie today. will he take rogers spot opening for australia at the completion of the series? a young bloke in form.

What is with all this love for Jordan Silk? Played less that 1 full sheild season and apparently he is the next Ricky Ponting. Let him settle at first class level before throwimg in into international cricket.

Thats our problem, we wait until a guy is too old before giving them a crack. Would much rather see Silk in the side than a 38 year old Rogers.
If a kid is good enough get them in, Tendulkar was thrown in at 16 against the Pakis and Smith opened the bat for the Saffers at 21 and was skipper by the age of 24. Ponting was only 20 or 21 at his debut.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Squids » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Silk is only 21...waiting till he is 23 is not going to mean he is too old. However learning from India picking players in form is vitally important..ie Rohit Sharma a dud but is in good form and scored plenty of runs in the recent series.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:48 pm

If Silk was as good as Punter and SRT, put him in now. But he is not so lets wait.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Squids » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:51 pm

If that pansy Watson is not going to bowl then his position in the team has to come into question.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:It's great to not have to make three changes after a test. We must keep a settled side and let them play all series. For once we haven't made a baffling selection in the first test of the series in regards to our slow bowling option and players in form were picked. It made a massive difference. The top order is still a worry for mine as Rogers looks out of his depth. They should stick with him this series to develop a sense of team but that should be all for Rogers.

After that we can have a look at Faulkner and push Watson back up to opening. That will give us multiple bowling options so we don't have to use Siddle, MJ and Harris as workhorses. If we can win the series early, bring back the rotation policy for the bowlers and give them a rest especially Harris with his track record, step up Messrs Pattinson, Bird and Starc depending on who misses.

In the future I see Jordan Silk as a top order hope but probably not for a couple of years. Let him develop at the Tigers. He has shown already he can build an innings.

regards,

REB

Very valid points.
I would look at changing the bowling attack for Adelaide though, if the pitch is a disgrace like it has been for the shield there is no point wasting the quicks, id play another spinner and rest Harris or Siddle and get them cherry ripe for Perth

Bollocks to that. We need to win the series to take the Ashes. If you want the Poms to score 500 then that approach would ensure that happens.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Squids wrote:If that pansy Watson is not going to bowl then his position in the team has to come into question.

Id prefer him to give up bowling completely and work on his batting only. Reckon he could become a decent genuine batter
Jim05
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Squids wrote:If that pansy Watson is not going to bowl then his position in the team has to come into question.

Haters gotta hate. Keep a winning team together.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:It's great to not have to make three changes after a test. We must keep a settled side and let them play all series. For once we haven't made a baffling selection in the first test of the series in regards to our slow bowling option and players in form were picked. It made a massive difference. The top order is still a worry for mine as Rogers looks out of his depth. They should stick with him this series to develop a sense of team but that should be all for Rogers.

After that we can have a look at Faulkner and push Watson back up to opening. That will give us multiple bowling options so we don't have to use Siddle, MJ and Harris as workhorses. If we can win the series early, bring back the rotation policy for the bowlers and give them a rest especially Harris with his track record, step up Messrs Pattinson, Bird and Starc depending on who misses.

In the future I see Jordan Silk as a top order hope but probably not for a couple of years. Let him develop at the Tigers. He has shown already he can build an innings.

regards,

REB

Very valid points.
I would look at changing the bowling attack for Adelaide though, if the pitch is a disgrace like it has been for the shield there is no point wasting the quicks, id play another spinner and rest Harris or Siddle and get them cherry ripe for Perth

Bollocks to that. We need to win the series to take the Ashes. If you want the Poms to score 500 then that approach would ensure that happens.

Regards,

REB

If the pitch plays like it is currently they will make 500 no matter who is bowling. Last thing we need is Harris or Siddle to go down.
Get out of Adelaide with a draw and then pepper them in Perth
Jim05
Coach

Postby westozfalcon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Jim05 wrote:
LBT wrote:Oh here we go...
Trott to return home due to stress-related illness

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/story/692405.html

Another Trescothick, soft cock

An experienced and accomplished Test cricketer like Jonathan Trott is hardly going to retreat home after struggling in two innings against good fast bowling and copping some puerile comments from a bloke (Warner) who makes Brendan Fevola look like a member of Mensa.

He obviously has some stress and mental problems which are unrelated to the events of the Brisbane Test.

I wish him a quick recovery.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby whufc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:36 am

Would Trott have gone home if he hit a 100 in the first test
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Spargo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:17 am

Rik E Boy wrote:

Haters gotta hate. Keep a winning team together.

regards,

REB

Carrying under performers whilst young talent goes wasted waiting in the wings causes dissent amongst the team eventually.
If only Khawaja had been given a tenth of Watson's chances to perform...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jase » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:26 am

whufc wrote:Would Trott have gone home if he hit a 100 in the first test

He's obviously struggling with some sort of mental health ( stress, anxiety) issue.

Perhaps if he was OK then he would have cracked a couple of decent scores...

I wish him all the best...

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby whufc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:21 am

Jase wrote:

He's obviously struggling with some sort of mental health ( stress, anxiety) issue.

I wish him all the best as well but obviously being a proffesional sportsmen his going to be open to speculation and innuendo.

As others have said he was pretty comfortable dishing out the abuse even in this test.

Unfortunately for Trott from the outside it definatly looks like he has taken a soft option and unfortunately for him I think his reputation will be severely tarnished in oz and no doubt if he comes back at here at some stage will cop a fair bit of stick, especially if things don't go well for him again.

I would be interested to hear the coaching panels thoughts on bringing a guy out to oz who was having personal issues especially considering this was always going to be a long (time frame), hard yakka, agressive, hot trip
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:36 am

He has struggled for form for a while now so I dont think it has been caused by sledging or this test and it sounds like it is something he has had to deal with for a while.

People with a mental illness/depression are a day to day prospect. One day they can be happy and in good spirits and the next in a very bad place. I dont think it should dismissed and if he suffers from something like this I feel for him. People calling him "soft cock" and the like have no idea how badly people can be effected and in such a short time. His health is more important than a game of cricket.

i wish all him the best
Last edited by Brodlach on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 am

whufc wrote:
Jase wrote:

I wish him all the best as well but obviously being a proffesional sportsmen his going to be open to speculation and innuendo.

As others have said he was pretty comfortable dishing out the abuse even in this test.

Unfortunately for Trott from the outside it definatly looks like he has taken a soft option and unfortunately for him I think his reputation will be severely tarnished in oz and no doubt if he comes back at here at some stage will cop a fair bit of stick, especially if things don't go well for him again.

I would be interested to hear the coaching panels thoughts on bringing a guy out to oz who was having personal issues especially considering this was always going to be a long (time frame), hard yakka, agressive, hot trip

Did the England selectors know about his troubles before he left to tour? He might have been working on his issues privately but with his performance and Dave Warner's comments make him realise that he needs to step back to sort things out.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:40 am

Andy Flower said he has dealt with with for quite a while
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:43 am

What has given me the shits is Andy Flower coming out and acting like his the coach of the England Angels Cricket Team FFS!!!!!!!!

Everytime they have gotten Watson out they have given him an absolute spray (who can blame them) but ffs be realistic.

His presses was the biggest load of wank I have ever heard!!!!
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket