Rumours / Player Movement Discussions for 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

Postby rocketeer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:16 pm

SDK wrote:Why did Langford leave North ? Thought he did well this year ???????

Listed on the NAFC site as "personal reasons".

There was also talk that he wasn't enjoying the rigours of league footy and how he pulled up after it. Anyone that has played footy at any reasonably competitive level that isn't an outside receiver can vouch for the fact that plenty of Sundays and Mondays are unenjoyable because of all the bruising and recovering from collisions.
rocketeer
Rookie

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Matt Suckling is off to the Collingwood VFL side
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:50 pm

rocketeer wrote: There was also talk that he wasn't enjoying the rigours of league footy and how he pulled up after it. Anyone that has played footy at any reasonably competitive level that isn't an outside receiver can vouch for the fact that plenty of Sundays and Mondays are unenjoyable because of all the bruising and recovering from collisions.

:shock:
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:41 pm

rocketeer wrote:

There was also talk that he wasn't enjoying the rigours of league footy and how he pulled up after it. Anyone that has played footy at any reasonably competitive level that isn't an outside receiver can vouch for the fact that plenty of Sundays and Mondays are unenjoyable because of all the bruising and recovering from collisions.

Reckon plenty of few kickers can relate to that too
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Big Phil » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Bluedemon wrote:Matt Suckling is off to the Collingwood VFL side

He speaks fondly of his time in the SANFL with the Legs...

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/20 ... fl-magpies
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby rocketeer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:55 pm

JK wrote:
rocketeer wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to belittle anyone's footy experience. I just don't think we always remember the effort and pain that the vast majority of league footballers go through every week. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard calling someone 'soft' if that's their reason for quitting but given it's pretty difficult to be a professional in the SANFL I can understand why players have higher priorities in life. Although, for us less talented folk it can seem like a small sacrifice if we were given the opportunity to play for the club we love.

Anyway, with Langford supposedly he won't be in the SANFL at all next year but there's some chance he'll be back at North later. I'd like to see him play in the 2s for the year if he doesn't want to make the commitment to the league team.
rocketeer
Rookie

Postby JK » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:56 pm

rocketeer wrote:
JK wrote:
rocketeer wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to belittle anyone's footy experience. I just don't think we always remember the effort and pain that the vast majority of league footballers go through every week. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard calling someone 'soft' if that's their reason for quitting but given it's pretty difficult to be a professional in the SANFL I can understand why players have higher priorities in life. Although, for us less talented folk it can seem like a small sacrifice if we were given the opportunity to play for the club we love.

Anyway, with Langford supposedly he won't be in the SANFL at all next year but there's some chance he'll be back at North later. I'd like to see him play in the 2s for the year if he doesn't want to make the commitment to the league team.

Top post mate, all excellent points. Certainly wasn't trying to imply Tommy is soft or anything, just that some of the reasons given were applicable to footballers of any level who still have to front up to work during the week. Wherever he plays I hope he does well. Was only a kid at Norwood so naturally his game was incomplete, but I reckon he has plenty of ability so I hope he cn manage to give it another crack someday.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:GLENELG TIGERS SIGN AARON JOSEPH

Aaron-JosephThe Glenelg Football Club is excited to announce the signing of former Carlton midfielder Aaron Joseph.

Joseph, 180cm and 78kg, played 73 AFL matches for the Blues between 2009 and 2013 after originally being recruited from Tassie Mariners in the TAC Cup.

The 24-year-old will add valuable experience to the Tigers’ on-ball division, which has already been bolstered by the signing of former Essendon and Richmond midfielder Sam Lonergan.

‘’I’m really looking forward to challenging myself in the SANFL with such a proud club,’’ said Joseph, who has inked a two-year contract.

‘’Glenelg has a young playing list so it will be exciting to join Sam in playing a mentoring role with so many talented juniors.’’

Joseph is the Tigers’ fourth significant signing this off-season with Patrick McCarthy (Carlton) and Nathan Stark (Melbourne) also returning to the club after being delisted by AFL teams this year.

“Aaron played at Carlton with Nick Stevens, and Nick couldn’t speak highly enough of Aaron as a person and as a footballer as his style will suit the SANFL,’’ Glenelg chief executive Steve Moore said.

‘’We can’t wait for Aaron to join us and add that grunt and experience our list needs.”

More player signings are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

Great pick up. 4 blokes with afl experience recruited now, 2 of which returning to us.
Nice to see more expected too.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby SANFLnut » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:22 pm

McCarthy and Stark did nothing at VFL level so I'd be careful about labelling them as AFL recruits. Lonergan and Joseph sound like they are good gets. Joseph was a good AFL tagger there for a while. Surprised he is only 24, thought he'd be older.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:36 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

Aaron-JosephThe Glenelg Football Club is excited to announce the signing of former Carlton midfielder Aaron Joseph.

Joseph, 180cm and 78kg, played 73 AFL matches for the Blues between 2009 and 2013 after originally being recruited from Tassie Mariners in the TAC Cup.

The 24-year-old will add valuable experience to the Tigers’ on-ball division, which has already been bolstered by the signing of former Essendon and Richmond midfielder Sam Lonergan.

‘’I’m really looking forward to challenging myself in the SANFL with such a proud club,’’ said Joseph, who has inked a two-year contract.

‘’Glenelg has a young playing list so it will be exciting to join Sam in playing a mentoring role with so many talented juniors.’’

Joseph is the Tigers’ fourth significant signing this off-season with Patrick McCarthy (Carlton) and Nathan Stark (Melbourne) also returning to the club after being delisted by AFL teams this year.

“Aaron played at Carlton with Nick Stevens, and Nick couldn’t speak highly enough of Aaron as a person and as a footballer as his style will suit the SANFL,’’ Glenelg chief executive Steve Moore said.

‘’We can’t wait for Aaron to join us and add that grunt and experience our list needs.”

Great pick up. 4 blokes with afl experience recruited now, 2 of which returning to us.

I declare the Glenelg Football Club winner of the pre pre season cup.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby JK » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:04 am

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

I declare the Glenelg Football Club winner of the pre pre season cup.

Just for something different ...
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby SDK » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:02 am

Well they would have to improve on last year, in fact they did improve quite a bit late in the year.
Bays fans must be highly expectant in 2014 considering the massive losses from other clubs off season.
SDK
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 51 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:23 am

Once again a case of a team holding ground as the field comes back to them?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:41 am

SDK wrote:Well they would have to improve on last year, in fact they did improve quite a bit late in the year.
Bays fans must be highly expectant in 2014 considering the massive losses from other clubs off season.

Weren't they very confident last years bunch of prized recruits were set to get the job done?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby tigerhutch » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:16 pm

SDK wrote:Well they would have to improve on last year, in fact they did improve quite a bit late in the year.

hoping to finish in the top 8 ;)
Vote for King Thistle and the Wise Old Elf ... you know it makes sense
tigerhutch
Rookie

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 pm

JK wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:I declare the Glenelg Football Club winner of the pre pre season cup.

Just for something different ...

The sleeping giant awakes ... oh, hang on
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Richard Tambling will be with Sturt next year.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Big Phil » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:Richard Tambling will be with Sturt next year.

That's a good get for the Double Blues....
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:05 pm

It's easy to get something that nobody else wants.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby rocketeer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Booney wrote:It's easy to get something that nobody else wants.

But not as easy as making unsubstantiated claims from behind your keyboard.

I'm not a fan of Sturt or the crows but I think he's a very good get for them and I'd rather play against a Sturt team without Tambling.
rocketeer
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL