HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby has been » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:11 pm

It has been pointed out to me by a great historian of the Lofty clan that they tried this about 30 years ago in going to SAFA and that was a roaring success was it not ?
has been
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby supercoach » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 pm

OMG just read the Q & A's on the Lofty proposal and they are aiming at modifieds in the HFL and Juniors in Metro South - That is a SANFL no no. Also no for a fact HFL wont go with this. Q & A clearly states their new "club" time at the club will be Thursday night when awards etc will be done. Gee I wish I could publish the document on here but wont out of respect for my sources. What a joke................................................
supercoach
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby Fricky » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Amateur Footy wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
rock wrote:I think Mt Lofty would be aiming a bit higher than Div 6. I'd imagine the SAAFL would accept them at about Div 4 level. From an outsider looking in its actually not a bad move. Metro South is a very strong junior comp and the Amateur League at those mid range divisions don't pay out ridiculous amounts for players. So financially it would be a smart move.

i would think NOT. I reckon a few clubs might have a bit to say about that!

They are looking at Div 3 or 4. I'd suggest 4 as a starting point from what I've seen of your beloved bulldogs who won the Div 4 flag. Any lower and there wouldn't be any chance of them making the move. They also think they can emulate the success of Goodwood and rise up to win Div 1 in 5-6 years on a $40k budget ha ha. :shock: :shock:

I would agree they would have to get used to the slightly less disciplined acts that come with the lower divisions. Div 3 or 4 isn't too bad but late hits are part of the game when things get heated or one team gets on top.

I don't think it is a good thing for the HFL if Mt Lofty self destructs on this, but if the "pride" of the committee/members gets in the way of logical decisions then so be it.

If they think they can emulate Goodwood in any way is a huge laugh. Goody Saints have been one of the most successful clubs since coming into the SAAFL (1985) with around 20 flags across all three senior grades in that time - including 5 Div 1 flags in a row. If Mt Lofty want to move to the Amateurs you are more than welcome, you'll just have to start at the bottom like new clubs do. If you don't like it than stay in your current league like Brighton chose to do.

And if you don't like being told what to do go and start your own league where you can make the rules up to suit your own needs.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby rock » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Big picture wise wouldn't the move be more positive than negative. Given the current state of Country Div and the fact the HFL Board struggles to move forward progressively. I see more positives than negatives.
rock
Under 16s

Been liked: 12 times

Postby Panther32 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Amateur Footy wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
rock wrote:I think Mt Lofty would be aiming a bit higher than Div 6. I'd imagine the SAAFL would accept them at about Div 4 level. From an outsider looking in its actually not a bad move. Metro South is a very strong junior comp and the Amateur League at those mid range divisions don't pay out ridiculous amounts for players. So financially it would be a smart move.

They are looking at Div 3 or 4. I'd suggest 4 as a starting point from what I've seen of your beloved bulldogs who won the Div 4 flag. Any lower and there wouldn't be any chance of them making the move. They also think they can emulate the success of Goodwood and rise up to win Div 1 in 5-6 years on a $40k budget ha ha. :shock: :shock:

I would agree they would have to get used to the slightly less disciplined acts that come with the lower divisions. Div 3 or 4 isn't too bad but late hits are part of the game when things get heated or one team gets on top.

I don't think it is a good thing for the HFL if Mt Lofty self destructs on this, but if the "pride" of the committee/members gets in the way of logical decisions then so be it.

Looks like they are happy to accept Lofty in Div 6 if you read their forum!
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Panther32 wrote:
Amateur Footy wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Looks like they are happy to accept Lofty in Div 6 if you read their forum!

That is the easiest solution for the SAAFL. Div 6 was only a 9 team competition due Tea Tree Gully dropping out due to a lack of numbers. Saves the arguments of who goes up to fill the void left by them.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby One Club Player » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm really not following Lofty's logic here.

In seniors surely the comp in country is better than Div 6 (maybe not all teams) and they could be back were they want to be (Central) within a year versus travelling all over Adelaide and taking 3 or more years to get to the Div they want in Amateurs.

In Juniors, country 13's was an 11 team comp and 15's was an 8 team comp last year (which means they might actually play more games than the seniors who have a bye) so plenty of games there. U17's, yes only a 5 team comp so a bit of an issue but Meadows, Birdwood and Nairne all have strong juniors. Get to play a few/most games before Seniors, all play Sat. The Metro comp seems to only go to U16 so they are likely to loose their 17 year old lads to other Hills clubs rather than play seniors in the Amateurs and the kids would never play in front of the Seniors.

The fact is they are speculating what Country Div is like, surely they should at least play in it for a year before deciding its not for them and making this move.
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Spearhead » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:04 pm

supercoach wrote:OMG just read the Q & A's on the Lofty proposal and they are aiming at modifieds in the HFL and Juniors in Metro South - That is a SANFL no no. Also no for a fact HFL wont go with this. Q & A clearly states their new "club" time at the club will be Thursday night when awards etc will be done. Gee I wish I could publish the document on here but wont out of respect for my sources. What a joke................................................

Not sure what is going on (haven't seen the Q & A as not a current player) but sounds like the committee are working on what they think is best for the juniors and junior parents - not surprising considering they are predominantly made up of JUNIOR parents.
The senior group are STRONGLY pushing for the HFL Country option with a view to the future, not necessarily next year but whenever they can qualify. Hopefully their voice is heard at tonights vote for the WHOLE clubs sake.
We want Vaughn.
Spearhead
Under 18s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Amateur Footy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Apparently Lofty have voted for Seniors in Hills Country and juniors in Metro South. Will HFL accept this? I'd have thought not..

Heard Leith Marston is finally fit and dropped plenty of kilos. Going to be handy for Plympton this year.
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Afterthesiren » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:02 pm

Another test for the HFL. Will they accept this crazy decision made by some strange goat people at Stirling. Surely not, what a joke why would any league go for this. Time to see if the HFL has a pair again, I'm not hopeful.
Apparently this move is a progressive one by Mt Lofty to have all sides playing in the SAAFL by 2015.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Banker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:15 am

Nah the whole club will play Country Div. And junior teams in Metro South.

Sounds like they are targetting the hills based private school juniors that must play for their school Sat mornings.
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Afterthesiren » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:01 am

When you say the whole club isn't it just As, Bs and U17s to play Country? The HFL shouldn't go for this.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby Banker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:46 am

Not 100% sure ATS, just what ive read on fb and a few texts around this morning. Would be nice for a Mt Lofty supporter to clear it up..

But I agree, it doesnt make sense to have juniors in 2 different competitions does it. You cant have dual registration so players will have to chose Sat or Sun for the entire season.. if it is actually all set in stone??
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Panther32 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 am

Amateur Footy wrote:Apparently Lofty have voted for Seniors in Hills Country and juniors in Metro South. Will HFL accept this? I'd have thought not..

Heard Leith Marston is finally fit and dropped plenty of kilos. Going to be handy for Plympton this year.

I saw Leith the other day and was absolutely gobsmacked at how much weight the bloke has lost!
Last time I saw him looking this fit was in Under 18's basketball!!!
How come he's not going back to Mt Barker?
Panther32
League - Best 21

Postby ball magnet » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:14 am

Great attendance at Heathfield last night by people who are passionate about the future and culture of their club. Lengthy weighing up of pros and cons with much input from the floor to the moderators ended with the motion carried of fielding all teams required in Country Division and additional junior sides entering the Metro South competition on Sundays. Will be a huge benefit to retain Devils strong base of juniors with two options for the players to choose. However, main focus is upon restoring club back into Central HFL ranks ... certainly not the case of running off to some other competition as stated previously on this forum by those regularly mis-informed posters. The well devised path to enable Mt Lofty juniors to play at a high standard is to be congratulated with a lot of work done behind the scenes by committee members. Club is disappointed to have been placed in the situation where all this evolved, but a line has now been drawn and the club is moving forward very positively ... I'd suggest the Devils will also have long memories regarding some aspects of this entire process but are moving positively toward being part of HFL Country ranks in 2014. :)
ball magnet

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Panther32 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:32 am

ball magnet wrote:Great attendance at Heathfield last night by people who are passionate about the future and culture of their club. Lengthy weighing up of pros and cons with much input from the floor to the moderators ended with the motion carried of fielding all teams required in Country Division and additional junior sides entering the Metro South competition on Sundays. Will be a huge benefit to retain Devils strong base of juniors with two options for the players to choose. However, main focus is upon restoring club back into Central HFL ranks ... certainly not the case of running off to some other competition as stated previously on this forum by those regularly mis-informed posters. The well devised path to enable Mt Lofty juniors to play at a high standard is to be congratulated with a lot of work done behind the scenes by committee members. Club is disappointed to have been placed in the situation where all this evolved, but a line has now been drawn and the club is moving forward very positively ... I'd suggest the Devils will also have long memories regarding some aspects of this entire process but are moving positively toward being part of HFL Country ranks in 2014. :)

Good to see common sense prevailed!!!
So Lofty decided a couple of years ago to not pay players, will this change this year now to try and get back up to the Central division again?
Panther32
League - Best 21

Postby Mop Up » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:40 am

ball magnet wrote:Great attendance at Heathfield last night by people who are passionate about the future and culture of their club. Lengthy weighing up of pros and cons with much input from the floor to the moderators ended with the motion carried of fielding all teams required in Country Division and additional junior sides entering the Metro South competition on Sundays. Will be a huge benefit to retain Devils strong base of juniors with two options for the players to choose. However, main focus is upon restoring club back into Central HFL ranks ... certainly not the case of running off to some other competition as stated previously on this forum by those regularly mis-informed posters. The well devised path to enable Mt Lofty juniors to play at a high standard is to be congratulated with a lot of work done behind the scenes by committee members. Club is disappointed to have been placed in the situation where all this evolved, but a line has now been drawn and the club is moving forward very positively ... I'd suggest the Devils will also have long memories regarding some aspects of this entire process but are moving positively toward being part of HFL Country ranks in 2014. :)

Long and almost certainly selective
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Postby cracka » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:44 am

The only teams REQUIRED to play in country div are A's & B's so that probably doesn't put anyone's mind at ease. The questions that need to be answered are
Will Lofty's modified teams be playing in the HFL modified comp.
Will Lofty have U13's, J/C & S/C playing in hills country div.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby supercoach » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:54 am

Ball Magnet are you saying that Lofty will field all junior country teams as required by HFL as well as some in Metro South - or try for mods in HFL and Juniors in Metro South. Obviously the HFL won't go for this. Has anyone a copy of the proposal that was put forward last night with the Q and A's that was circulated to members - This would obviously clear the sordid mess up. Speaking to a HFL board member yesterday and they emphatically stated that 1 in all in - no separation so this stupid Lofty stubbornness will not prevail. - Also came out that the club is still in debt to the tune of $45k and that the Aldgate Pump has started Legal action proceedings have started to recover this. Source tells me they will wind them if necessary so the club may fold anyway. Believe still owe the Crafers similar amount. Good thing for the raiders bankers and demons is that kids are already ringing these clubs to remain in the hills comp !!!!!! Madness :D :D :D
supercoach
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby has been » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:16 am

In fairness to the discussion here is the Lofty doc distributed and voted on at last nights meeting - note - there were only 2 options put forward - Also note the Q & A and the reasoning behind their decisions - can't quite believe they had a special committee to get this !!!!!!!
• Mt Lofty
• Options
Seniors in Country Division
&
Juniors in Metro South
Or
Seniors in Amateur League
&
Juniors in Metro South
• Country Division
• Requires A Grade to win premiership for re-admission to Central
• 3 teams have won premierships in 11 years. Football spend required ~ $100k
• Current Mt Lofty Football spend ~$22k
• Requires an increase in revenue of at least $120k or ~60% of existing revenue
• Where can the club be in 5 years?
HFL
If competing in the HFL, Mt Lofty will have to dramatically improve its financial position and find an additional $70-$100k per year (profit) to spend on players to be in contention to win a Central division flag.
Can we develop and transition junior players from MetroSouth to play in the Country or Central Division of HFL?
Can we generate enough revenue to pay for a team to be a Premiership contender in Central?
• Amateur League
• A, B grade and under 18s in the Amateur League competion.
• Clubs reach Division 1 based on merit
• 7 teams have won premierships in 11 years. Football spend required max ~ $40k (TBC) or investment in Juniors
• Current Mt Lofty Football spend ~$22k
• Where can the club be in 5 years?
Amateur League
• Division 1 premiership contender
• Goodwood Saints entered SAAFL Div 4 in 1995 and won promotion to Div 1 6 years later. In 2009, won their 5th consecutive Div 1 Premiership.
• FAQ
Do we still play at Heathfield?
Yes our home ground will remain the same.

Will we play together as a club if we play down in the city?
Due to the volume of teams (one per age group) it would be difficult to fit them all in one day at one ground, it is more likely that half will play at home one week and then alternate the next. The A, B grade and U18's would then also play a home game and alternate with these. This is to be confirmed but what could be expected.

Why are we looking at other leagues? we are a HFL Club should we not be loyal?
The organisation of the league is not controlled by the Board but by the clubs, the clubs have voted to relegate ourselves at the expense of development of football in the Hills, our ability to develop our juniors in a lower quality league and our clubs future. The development of our junior players but also the long term direction of the club and its financial stability are the number 1 priorities for the MLDFC Committee. Anything that impacts these items will impact on the long term success of the club at senior levels. The relegation process has revealed a broken HFL system. It was clear that some, not all, but some opposing football teams were serving their own best interests not the interests of the league or Community. The HFL Board has already flagged potential changes to the rules once again and as such can leave MLDFC at risk to remaining in the HFL Country division for longer than 12 months. There are financial pressures on the club and this decision will affect our annual turnover and the committee’s ability to continue the great rebuilding work that has occurred over the last 24 months. A move to another league and offering our juniors a stronger league to develop in will allow MLDFC to retain a larger portion of our junior program and hopefully supporter base which in turn will help to minimise the negative impacts to annual turnover over the last 2-3 months.

Can the HFL board do anything to help?
Unfortunately not their hands are tied by the votes casts by the other HFL clubs. The HFL board have been supportive and cannot be criticised for how they have conducted themselves. They are the Police, keepers of the rules, the Clubs are the judges creators of the rules. The HFL Board cannot make or change the rules and as such have no power to overturn any decision the clubs make through ballets. This is the opposite to how the AFL is run who's ultimate goals is to promote and grow AFL as a sport.

Will our club identity be lost through moving clubs?
Well that really depends on you and how you support the club. The club is an idea/feeling/family that is built on the people within the club, not the league that we play. Should the people that have supported the club in the past leave then we will lose a part of ourselves. Should the club remain whole and tackle the new challenge, continue to support the Red and White stripes then nothing will change, we will move past this and the club will grow stronger because of it.

With our Juniors and Seniors playing different leagues will we lose the whole club attitude that we have developed over the previous few years?
There are examples of split league clubs down on the plains. The support and club atmosphere is developed at the club on Thursday and Saturday nights, the major difference is that the Junior side and Seniors all come together on a Thursday night, this includes teams down to U8's level. Thursdays will be the main night for the club where Junior presentations occur and can interact with the senior players. These clubs in the hills have grown together and are financially stable as a result, we would look to their example and understand their success and try and improve on that. With the modified footballers also still playing Hills football there is the possibility that these teams U11 down will be able to play at Heathfield prior to the seniors in the afternoon, this will really bridge a gap between the senior and junior levels and will significantly improve the relationship between the senior part of the club and junior. It will be a change in thinking for the club but ultimately we believe it to be a positive move. We are still a community football club with a large following people will still come to watch the Devils at Heathfield and the move may spark more interest and support for the club in its new endeavours.
• FAQ
What day does the MetroSouth Juniors play?
On Sunday’s at various times. While not the same every week, groups of teams play together at the same ground throughout the day. There are also scheduled Friday night games for those clubs with suitable lights.
How does playing on Sundays affect Mt Lofty?
With the HFL competition played on Saturday, kids who go to private schools are lost to the club once they reach 13 as they must play for their schools. Playing on Sunday provides an opportunity for these kids to remain with Mt Lofty.
Are there any limits on the number of juniors that can be registered with each club?
The MetroSouth have a limit of 28 players per team.
Can Mt Lofty still have junior modified teams in the Hills competition?
Currently the SANFL do not want clubs to have junior teams playing in different leagues. The committee is still trying to work our way through this and looking at options for the modified teams.
What is the standard of football like in MetroSouth?
It is widely regarded as a very high standard competition, playing on good quality ovals. The MetroSouth League take an active role in promoting Football and have active links with the League clubs creating opportunities for talented footballers with both the SANFL and AFL.
has been
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy