Essendon 2013

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2013

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:48 pm

The AFL has suspended all monthy dividends to the EFC until this current matter regarding payment to Hird is resolved. EFC receives on average approximately $8m per year in dividends from the league

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl ... 2z8rx.html
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Good on the AFL, Essendon still seem to think they can do anything they like, most of what they do these days is just to spite the AFL.
There was only ever going to be one winner in all this and thats the AFL.
I have new found respect for Andy D.
He obviously listened to Tania Hird, she said for the AFL to stop making threats, look's like they have.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:44 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Good on the AFL, Essendon still seem to think they can do anything they like, most of what they do these days is just to spite the AFL.
He obviously listened to Tania Hird, she said for the AFL to stop making threats, look's like they have.

Whilst im the first to admit the club have done plenty wrong I cant see where we are at fault with the current situation.
The AFL hand Hird their findings and punishments, no mention of not being paid. Hird signs off on this both parties agree. 2 months later AFL realise that Hird is being paid and that the AFL forgot to write it in his contract and then claim they had a verbal agreement. Well guess what its not in writing. The dodgiest part is the AFL then emailing Essendon this week and advising Essendon that to avoid suspicion and scrutiny they should pay Hird under the table which is a way for the AFL to save face. The EFC have said all along that Hird wouldnt be paid if both parties had signed off on it so I fail to see where we are in the wrong in this case
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Who says a good scandal doesnt hurt?
AFL figures released shows that Essendon featured in the top 3 highest watched games of the season and 4 of the top 6.
Essendon v Geelong in round 7 was the highest watched home and away game of 2013
Jim05
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Jim05 wrote:Who says a good scandal doesnt hurt?
AFL figures released shows that Essendon featured in the top 3 highest watched games of the season and 4 of the top 6.
Essendon v Geelong in round 7 was the highest watched home and away game of 2013

What do you expect? Cat game. :)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Good on the AFL, Essendon still seem to think they can do anything they like, most of what they do these days is just to spite the AFL.

Whilst im the first to admit the club have done plenty wrong I cant see where we are at fault with the current situation.
The AFL hand Hird their findings and punishments, no mention of not being paid. Hird signs off on this both parties agree. 2 months later AFL realise that Hird is being paid and that the AFL forgot to write it in his contract and then claim they had a verbal agreement. Well guess what its not in writing. The dodgiest part is the AFL then emailing Essendon this week and advising Essendon that to avoid suspicion and scrutiny they should pay Hird under the table which is a way for the AFL to save face. The EFC have said all along that Hird wouldnt be paid if both parties had signed off on it so I fail to see where we are in the wrong in this case

As if the AFL would put it in writing to EFC to pay Hird under the table.
daysofourlives
Coach

Essendon 2013

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:08 pm

See the bit in bold Days, several reporters have gone with this story
Bombers ready to defy AFL and keep coach on thepayroll
CHIP LE GRAND
The Australian
December 07, 2013 12:00AM
Print
ESSENDON is prepared to defy an AFL directive to stop paying James Hird his full salary while he is suspended from coaching.
The stand by Essendon president Paul Little, supported yesterday by fellow club directors, is a humiliating rebuff to AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, who has staked his reputation and credibility on the dispute.
Mr Demetriou elevated Hird's pay status as a key point of contention between the league and the club this week when he emphatically declared that Hird, as part of his punishment for his role in the Essendon supplements scandal, was prohibited from receiving his club salary while serving a 12-month ban.
Mr Demetriou repeatedly stated that Hird was not being paid by the club.
"I can categorically tell you that part of the sanction from the AFL is he is suspended without pay from the Essendon Football Club," Mr Demetriou told Radio 3AW's Neil Mitchell.
"It is one thing I will go to my grave on. I know the AFL is not paying. And I know Essendon is not paying."
But The Weekend Australian has confirmed Hird is receiving his regular Essendon salary.
The AFL has since conceded there is no provision within the agreed sanctions against Essendon and Hird that prevents Hird from being paid by the club.
The league claims that two weeks after the settlement scandal was resolved and sanctions agreed to at AFL House, it reached verbal agreement with Essendon for Hird not to be paid. This is disputed by the club.
Any variation of Hird's contract with the club would require Hird's agreement.
It is understood that in a bid to resolve the impasse, the AFL suggested to Essendon that it should pay Hird off the books. Essendon and Hird rejected the idea.
Hird has made it clear to the club and his legal advisers that he will oppose any alteration of his deed of settlement with the AFL or his contract with the club, which was provisionally extended by two years the night he accepted his 12-month suspension.
The Weekend Australianhas confirmed that during the two-day meeting held at AFL House on August 26 and 27 to resolve the supplements scandal, the AFL Commission was told by league lawyers that Hird's suspension would be without pay.
It is understood this condition was not agreed to by Hird, who had previously been offered suspension on full pay following negotiations between Mr Little and AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick, brokered by Australian Sports Commission chairman John Wylie.
The Weekend Australian and the Herald Sun have seen documents that show the offer was put to Hird on August 23.
Confronted with this week's revelations about secret inducements offered to Hird to end the supplements scandal, Mr Demetriou told Radio 3AW: "It is alleged that in some sort of offer or inducement, he was going to be stood down on full pay. That never eventuated."
An AFL source described the failure to clarify Hird's pay status in the sanctions documents as a drafting error. A source close to Hird said any attempt to include the provision would have been a deal-breaker.

http://www.theaustra...y-1226777493810
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Was also reported tonight that infraction notices due in Febuary
Jim05
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 pm

That doesnt say the AFL emailed EFC directing them to pay under the table, the AFL would be stupid to put that in writing as i said.
The may have verbally conveyed that to EFC, he saId, she said.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Jim05 wrote:Was also reported tonight that infraction notices due in Febuary

Good timing, the 18 month bans will see them miss the two seasons.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:11 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

3-6 months tops, 8-12 players potentially
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 pm

daysofourlives wrote:That doesnt say the AFL emailed EFC directing them to pay under the table, the AFL would be stupid to put that in writing as i said.
The may have verbally conveyed that to EFC, he saId, she said.

Like we verbally conveyed we wouldnt pay Hird ;)
Jim05
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:54 am

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Do you know of any cases apart from Saad (and they are appealing his ban) where drug cheats have got less than 2 years??
Would be very rare i'd imagine
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Do you know of any cases apart from Saad (and they are appealing his ban) where drug cheats have got less than 2 years??
Would be very rare i'd imagine

Id suspect the club would throw Hird and others under the bus and claim that the players were given drugs without their knowledge. There have been cases where leniency has been shown, rare but possible
Jim05
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:03 am

de register the club
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:48 am

Johno6 wrote:de register the club

Would be an option id imagine allthough the AFL being fairly corrupt have their snouts in the trough too much to make it happen. Vlad's salary is dependant on attendance figures and ratings and as Essendon had the second highest attendance figures in the comp that is a fair bit of coin down the drain. Probably would cost them a fair bit to get a new side started at short notice aswell as the TV deal demands 10 games per week. I would say more than likely we will cop more draft penalties and maybe lose ANZAC Day.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:53 am

At the end of the day id think the club will backdown, no way the AFL can be beaten, seems that a deal is already being brokered as the AFL have now decided to only suspend $100k per month of our dividend until Hird is stopped being paid and if the club was smart they would stop paying Hird on the books. Plenty of sponsors or coterie members would be more than willing to make a $1m "donation" to Hird which they are quite entitled to do
Jim05
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:57 am

Wont lose ANZAC day Jim.

A better idea would be to sack Vlad, get someone impartial to this mess and sort it out.

We need someone in charge who will look after the game, not the $$
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Spargo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:00 am

MatteeG wrote:We need someone in charge who will look after the game, not the $$

Reality is that both aren't mutually exclusive.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:22 pm

MatteeG wrote:Wont lose ANZAC day Jim.

A better idea would be to sack Vlad, get someone impartial to this mess and sort it out.

We need someone in charge who will look after the game, not the $$

Probably right, im willing to admit guilt in the drug saga and am prepared for the worst if it happens but this latest fiasco isnt our fault. The AFL have cocked up by either a clerical error in the contract or more than likely Hird and Fitzpatrick doing a deal behind Andy's back to ensure he still gets paid. Cant see how we are at fault, Andy gets $2m per year as boss of the AFL yet he didnt know about deals being brokered behind his back, that stinks IMO.
Time for both parties to come out with the truth and get on with it and leave the rest to ASADA. Nothing good will come out of dragging people through court
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL