Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Postby csbowes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 am

bennymacca wrote:
csbowes wrote:The fans who think this move to have AFL reserves teams in the SANFL is a good one...

... I would guess, are the same people who walked away from the SANFL in 1991.

a lot of us can follow more than 1 league

Obviously not... 35,000 used to go each week, where are they?

You can follow two leagues, but most could not and chose the Crows over the local league.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby areaman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 am

beenreal wrote:First of all, the PAFC haven't "adopted" the 2015 model,they've had it forced upon them. But in 2015 they'll still have a club structure consisting of an AFL side, an SANFL League side, an SANFL Reserves side and a junior academy to enhance the development of young footballers.

Is this the latest code for "it's all the SANFL's fault"?
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 am

csbowes wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
csbowes wrote:The fans who think this move to have AFL reserves teams in the SANFL is a good one...

You can follow two leagues, but most could not and chose the Crows over the local league.

Local football (playing, coaching, volunteering), family committments, working to name a few.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:46 am

Precious few people would support an SANFL team with undiluted passion and still have the time/passion to follow an AFL team with equal fervour. Those people exist but they're a tiny blip on the landscape. Certainly no one with work and/or family commitments.
I'm talking about people who actually attend week in week out whatever the weather etc to support their team as well as participate in other ways.

It's almost always one team that takes priority over the other, even if most do profess a following of two teams in two different comps. For practical and emotional reasons it doesn't happen with equal commitment.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:58 am

Mr Beefy wrote:How do you know how Buddha Hocking or the ravens coach feel about losing?

He has a name, Heath Younie.
I can assure you Heath will be trying to win every game too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:30 am

So right Ronnie if you are a AFL supporter which team will spend all your money and time to watch the Senior team or the Reserves team.

The simple answer of course is the main AFL team as has been proven in the VFL where last year some VFL games attracted around 200 spectators for me this says it all fans are not interested in watching the Reserves.

The exception might be the PAFC supporters where some still think the Reserves team is still the Magpies even tho it is really is the Power Reserves it will be interesting to see if crowds increase in this instance.

Also I wonder what will happen in the WAFL with the intro of their AFL Reserves especially when over the last few years crowds have declined to a all time low.

Very interesting times ahead for Aussie Rules Football around AUSTRALIA.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:49 am

Wedgie wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:How do you know how Buddha Hocking or the ravens coach feel about losing?

He has a name, Heath Younie.
I can assure you Heath will be trying to win every game too.

Yeah, I couldn't remember who it was, in any case I think they will both be trying to win.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby csbowes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:51 am

valleys07 wrote:
csbowes wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Local football (playing, coaching, volunteering), family committments, working to name a few.

All those distractions were present before 1991 surprisingly...

Fans just weren't committed to the league like some of us would have liked...
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 am

I think most of us would prefer, in a perfect world, an independent AFL reserves competition- which leaves the state leagues be.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 am

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:I doubt the Crows and Power Reserves players will feel losses in the same way as players on the proper teams will.

How the hell can you think that? These blokes are as competitive as any other footballer playing in any competition anywhere and will cross that line wanting to win. If you think they are purely in "development mode" on a Saturday afternoon......

I didn't say they didn't want to win. But like SANFL players playing in the early game, the agony/ecstasy after a win or loss isn't going to be felt as much by reserves players. They're there to win AFL games.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby RB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:58 am

valleys07 wrote:
csbowes wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I'm not sure that that accounts for such a great difference, although people do work more on the weekends now.
RB
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm

valleys07 wrote:I think most of us would prefer, in a perfect world, an independent AFL reserves competition- which leaves the state leagues be.

I think you're right. However it is bizarre that so many people think that the absence of such an independent competition gives the AFL sides almost a right to come into the SANFL.
RB
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 pm

RB wrote:I'm not sure that that accounts for such a great difference, although people do work more on the weekends now.

Haha im not supplying percentage differentials- cs asked where they were and i supplied a few reasons :D

RB wrote:I think you're right. However it is bizarre that so many people think that the absence of such an independent competition gives the AFL sides almost a right to come into the SANFL.

I'm not sure any supporter really thinks its a "right", but more the case of, if the AFL aren't willing to incept a reserves competition, then what are the alternatives. It appears as though spreading players through the SANFL clubs or creating reserves sides in the state competition are the only options currently being / have been, explored. Whether these prove to be beneficial or not remains to be seen.

As i have said previously, no "migrated" scenario is going to appease everybody, and the only way to appease both clubs and supporters is an independent competition. Unfortunately the AFL are unwilling to go down that path- and yes I agree that is sh*t, as I would love to see the power compete in the AFL and pay attention to the young lads in the reserves, leaving the magpies untouched in the local competition....in a perfect world we live in.....

valleys07
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 pm

RB wrote:
valleys07 wrote:I think most of us would prefer, in a perfect world, an independent AFL reserves competition- which leaves the state leagues be.

I think you're right. However it is bizarre that so many people think that the absence of such an independent competition gives the AFL sides almost a right to come into the SANFL.

Totally agree with this and the other 16 AFL clubs have just as much right to play in the SANFL as the crows and power do.
We (the SANFL) have absolutely no obligation to improve the competitiveness of the 2 AFL clubs that base themselves in this state.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Think you guys are kidding yourself if you think winning is their number 1 priority especially if they approach the SANFL with the same attitude most AFL clubs do the VFL. Ive been to plenty of VFL games where sides are almost tanking. Went to a game last year where Essendon wanted to give 3 guys coming back from injury a run but they were only to play a half. Essendon led by a few goals at the end of 3/4 and surprise, surprise the 3 players headed off for a shower and left the side with one on the bench for the last quarter and they duly lost by a kick. Ive seen Ryder played at fullback and Crameri played on the ball so you cant tell me they are playing to win. And we are not the only side to do this
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:35 pm

geelong in a VFL final this year took a player out of the match at half time to prevent him from injury for the following week in the league.

that's in the VFL finals

you can see it happening here if the crows and or port are fortunate enough to be playing finals in both comps that the same thing will happen
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Mic » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:38 pm

I'm sure Younie and Hocking want to win as much as possible, but they won't have full control of their teams. They both will, to some degree, be told what to do with their players (such as resting them or playing them in certain positions) which may not benefit their team.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:45 pm

They will have to play footballers that aren't up to standard also.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby SimonH » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 pm

beenreal wrote:First of all, the PAFC haven't "adopted" the 2015 model, they've had it forced upon them. But in 2015 they'll still have a club structure consisting of an AFL side, an SANFL League side, an SANFL Reserves side and a junior academy to enhance the development of young footballers.
1. You sign up or you don't sign up. PAFC aggressively drove the 'we want an AFL seconds team in the SANFL' agenda, signed on the dotted line pretty much instantly once terms were set out, and then some PAFC people want to claim 'oh, but we only agreed to the rules of an AFL seconds team because we had a gun to our heads'!? Talk about trying to have it both ways.

2. You'll be an AFL franchise invading a comp that you don't belong to. There will be no continuous pathway for talented young Port supporters to play for Port from juniors. Quite the opposite—it'll be prohibited. The 'junior academy' is window-dressing nonsense. The AFL (outside of the 'development states' NSW and Qld) bans AFL clubs from entering into direct coaching arrangements with U/18 players. It's treated as draft tampering. The quality U/18 players will be attached to one of the continuing 8 SANFL clubs anyway. So, the Port 'academy' will be limited to players over 18, who've been overlooked at the AFL draft and rookie draft, and if they were good enough to play U/18 SANFL comp in the first place, who have been released or transferred from their SANFL club (e.g. because they're not good enough to make that team's SANFL reserves side). Having no juniors, the Power will busily go around filling up its SANFL reserves squad with the cast-offs from the superannuated U/18s of real SANFL clubs, plus the odd country over-18 who's never played in the city. The 'junior academy', and the 'academy team' are a fancy way of saying that you will train your SANFL reserves squad. Whoop-de-do.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby RB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:58 pm

valleys07 wrote:I'm not sure any supporter really thinks its a "right", but more the case of, if the AFL aren't willing to incept a reserves competition, then what are the alternatives.

Of course. But the AFL clubs, in entering the SANFL, are putting themselves before the integrity of the competition. The fact that they would, in the absence of an independent AFL reserves competition, see whatever suits them best as an alternative, regardless of what it will do to the league, is why many SANFL fans feel like this has been forced on them, against their will by the AFL clubs, notwithstanding the weakness of six of the league directors.
RB
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL