SAAFL Division 3 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 3 grand final?

Athelstone
8%
Kilburn
23%
Mitcham
10%
Modbury
12%
Old Ignatians
6%
Pembroke
3%
Plympton
12%
Salisbury
3%
Seaton
11%
Unley Mercedes Jets
12%

Total votes : 113

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Postby Jabber » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Groover wrote:Well that would have been my preferance, but in the interest of the club, the committee have made a unanimous decision to pursue a position in a lower divsion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SO going by what you wrote, the board took the easy way out! Any reason the board didn't approach the members and got there thoughts??? Like you said you would have prefered to stay up.

Like i said in an earlier post, i am certainly not having a go. Plympton were in the exact same position in 2005. But instead of asking to be relegated we battled it out, 30-40 goal loses to PNU on 2 occasions. winless for the whole year and believe it or not and in a strange way made the core group of players who stuck around tighter and in 2011 that same core group were rewarded with a flag... ALOT of work was done!!!

Correct WUB - we were going that rough that year that I was umpiring the B Grade then after the game had to quickly run off the ground get changed and face up in the A Grade.

Unfortunately part of being a club means that you need to go through the pain if you want to go through the spoils, and then that makes the spoils feel all the more special especially for those that were there in the rough times.

Turn the argument around, would a side call the SAAFL and request to be moved up a grade because they just reruited 15 guns and thought it would be bad for the comp if they won by 20-30 goals each week? Of course they wouldnt, they'd want to win the flag!
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Fricky » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 am

Didn't Eastern Park go through a similar situation but decided to stick it out rather than drop down a division?
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:26 am

This is true but I guess the difference here is that EP have always had a healthy junior and successful U18 programme to fall back upon.

Please find below some facts as presented to me. I've just copied and pasted, so please don't shoot the messenger:

The Club has invoked rule 36.5 of the SAAFL Rules & Regs which allows a Club to not be promoted providing that a club that was relegated wishes to stay up. So lets all move on from that one

The Club has lost it’s A and B Grade coach who have resigned due to the fact that they were going to be in Div 3 but with the loss of so many players they would not be competitive. At this stage it appears that the Club will have around 3-5 of the side that played in the Grand Final

An example was Plympton B Grade beat Brahma Lodge B Grade by 30 goals last year; translate that into the majority of B Grade players now playing against Plympton’s A Grade. The reason for not going up is because the club would get beat by 20-30 goals, simply it would get beat by 50 goals plus against A Grade teams of Div 3 quality

As for juniors the Club has continued to push and grow but the highest age group is U/12 at the moment

If the Club had U/18’s then this would not even be discussed as the Cub would play the kids in Div 3 as a learning experience, however U/18 kids relish to play A Grade regardless of results that cant be said for 30 plus year olds who really only want to play B Grade. Also if the Club had a strong B Grade then the Club would’ve stayed up.

The Club is financially sound and in fact probably more financial than most Clubs going around. No outstanding debts and money in the bank. Our success has in fact been our undoing as our players have been targeted with crazy money. $500 plus a game is hard to refuse

Also whilst we will look to recruit as we have always done within our budgeted amount the APPS rules limit the amount of players we can recruit to replace what has left as with 15 points the most we can recruit is 7

It has been a perfect storm that the Club is happy to whether and move forward but if we stayed in Div 3 after about Round 4 and the successive 50 plus beatings in both the A and B Grade, blokes would drop off and there would simply be no B Grade left to play games – not sure that’s a good look for the opposition sides and would end up killing Brahma Lodge

The Club is happy to cop a 20 goal loss here and there and try and be competitive but simply unrealistic to do it in Div 3
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby renix40 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 am

That is a fair joke.
You can’t ask to go down, then in the same breath brag about how much money you have.
What is stopping them going around and poaching the best D1R players?
renix40
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby The Informer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:11 am

I think this is a bit hard to cop with Brahma Lodge electing to stay down. In my opinion the club had built its successful years based upon recruiting players from other clubs with there money and having a couple of successful seasons.

Did the club recruit guys who would stay around the club in the long haul or just jump ship when more money was offered?

Did the club build a culture where the players want to stay at the club no matter what money was thrown around by others?

Now Brahma Lodge are in the same position of many other clubs in the area who don't have the money to pay the same amount as Brahma had done in the past and are asking to stay down?

Is it a right to have a successful season each year or do you have to take the pain to make the successful seasons feel better.

I think Brahma should be made to stay up and feel the pain that a lot of other clubs have felt in the past.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Cohiba » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Cohiba wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:nothing of the sort, just for the record.

But not for me to elaborate on...

So why comment?

a) because I can

b) to dispel your comment until such time that someone from the club can set the record straight

You clearly knew nothing, so why did you comment, besides to shit-stir?

"Because I also can!!!"

My comment was " It sounds like....." was not an accusation or declaration of knowing the "facts" FC. Given the nature of the way it was put.... my post was only tongue in cheek as so many are on this forum. Given the subsequent comments raised from those who "know everything" and not un-similar viewpoints as it turns out..... yours is hardly a case for waving the big stick for shit stirring ---ye who is without sin. Lighten up and :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:35 pm

use your bloody smilies then! :lol:

I thought it was a bit of and odd remark coming from a guy who's club has played in 2 GF's and still doesn't want to come up ;)

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Jetters » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:55 pm

The_Informer wrote:I think this is a bit hard to cop with Brahma Lodge electing to stay down. In my opinion the club had built its successful years based upon recruiting players from other clubs with there money and having a couple of successful seasons.

Did the club recruit guys who would stay around the club in the long haul or just jump ship when more money was offered?

Did the club build a culture where the players want to stay at the club no matter what money was thrown around by others?

Now Brahma Lodge are in the same position of many other clubs in the area who don't have the money to pay the same amount as Brahma had done in the past and are asking to stay down?

Is it a right to have a successful season each year or do you have to take the pain to make the successful seasons feel better.

I think Brahma should be made to stay up and feel the pain that a lot of other clubs have felt in the past.

Very well said. Seems like BL are being bitten by the very thing that made them successful in the short term

Thoughts from BL people?
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:00 pm

HELLO

There are none left ;)

Footy Chick

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:52 pm

I will post some questions to people on here. I am a brahma person who due to work has spent the last 2 years overseas. I will be overseas again this yet but will be back in 2015. I have played 10 years of saafl football at every level. I can honestly tell you as a player that there is nothing worse than playing a team you know you are going to belt. Players go in half assed and get season ending injuries. The competition is so much better when you need to play your best or close to your best football week in and week out. Who really wants to track one side of town to the other knowing (as a defender) you may not see the ball. After a while you start to feel sorry for the opposition and the club in general. What people also need to realise is that the club is just saying no to going up. They are not saying let's play div 7 or anything like that.

Yes it is easily to kick a club while it's down and out but you also need to accept that sometimes clubs do this in the best intrest of everyone involved.

I am also going to add that at this time an opportunity exists for any potential coaches to contact the club. Also any players that believe they should be playing a grade football should come test themselves out.

Let's not kid ourselves the club is going to get belted in div 4 this year. At least div 3 will be competitive.

Just some thoughts from an old bloke.
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Cohiba » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Footy Chick wrote:use your bloody smilies then!

I thought it was a bit of and odd remark coming from a guy who's club has played in 2 GF's and still doesn't want to come up

I never said I didn't want to go up but then I'm not on the Committee.....speak to the Colonel.... If the Div has C & D grades sides so the Club doesn't have to go in three different directions each week without proper resources... you can point the finger. It's not like we've haven't been on the rollercoaster in the past when specifically our A's who went 34 odd games without greeting the judge. We do the best we can in fielding five senior sides. Divisions 7/8 and the C Grade comps have had this as a contentious issue in the past and will no doubt have it again in the future. What's your solution or is it all as you said "too confusing".... ;)

So all that aside.......how's your D grade looking this year... :P :D :goodman: :heart: :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:08 pm

It's the old adage " you can't please all the people all of the time"

I don't even know how our A's B's and C's are going, let alone our D grade... my pre-season hasn't started yet. 8)

I'll tell you tomorrow ;)

Footy Chick

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:13 pm

The rule exists for these extreme circumstances.

Would take some exceptional recruiting to replace players lost without breaching the points limit.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Cohiba » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Footy Chick wrote:It's the old adage " you can't please all the people all of the time"

I don't even know how our A's B's and C's are going, let alone our D grade... my pre-season hasn't started yet. 8)

Peace in our time eh.......off to Bris tomorrow to visit Number one son and the latest "Smoshie" recruit just born. I'll be back to annoy later.. :D
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Footy Chick wrote:It's the old adage " you can't please all the people all of the time"

i didnt think you did a pre-season FC
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:26 pm

We're training at Hope Valley - time to make my 2014 debut 8)

Footy Chick

Postby Pag » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 pm

Credit to you Groover for coming out and giving your own opinion on the situation when it differs from that of your club.

FWIW, Brahma won't be the only side that's been uncompetitive in Division 3, we had a year in 2006 when we won one game by a kick, and lost by 15+ goals eight times during the year. I also remember beating Rosewater by 34 goals in Round 1 of Division 4 in 2007 and none of their guys ever looked they were going to give it away, and they ended up winning a couple of games towards the back end of the year when it got wet and some other sides had some injuries.

The other line about getting more injuries in a non-competitive game is a complete myth IMO, I'm fairly sure more guys get injured playing games on a Saturday then they do at training with slight contact. An absolute non-issue.

It's an unfortunate situation for BL, but they did pay out money to get a percentage of these guys to their club (and a lot of others obviously had a loyalty to Payney, which is a sign of his quality as a coach), so they shouldn't be all that surprised when they move on for even more money or becazuse they still want to play under Payney.

Sorry BL, as bad as you'll think you'll be, you should suck it up, cop it for 12 months like every other club has at some point, and have a go at Div 4 in 2015 when you've had another off-season to try and re-invigorate your list.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 am

Would Brahma Lodge still beat a Div 1 reserves side? ;)
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 am

In fairness we are sitting here and comparing Brahma Lodge to Salisbury and Plympton. Brahma Lodge doesn't have the resources of these clubs and if you ask me as an outsider have achieved a heck of a lot more in a short time frame than I'm sure we all imagined.

Cop the medicine but for a drastic measure such as this there must be genuine concern for the clubs existence if playing in a higher grade after some heavy heavy losses...

A horrible position to be in....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times

Postby Magnum Force » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:12 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:In fairness we are sitting here and comparing Brahma Lodge to Salisbury and Plympton. Brahma Lodge doesn't have the resources of these clubs and if you ask me as an outsider have achieved a heck of a lot more in a short time frame than I'm sure we all imagined.

Cop the medicine but for a drastic measure such as this there must be genuine concern for the clubs existence if playing in a higher grade after some heavy heavy losses...

A horrible position to be in....

I agree that for Brahma this is a terrible position to be in, But like almost every other club they have to take the good with the bad,

My first years at Plympton were spent being belted by 20 goals every week and i can tell you that we certainly did not have the resources we have now.

What developed from that was a core group of players that stuck together through the beltings and formed the platform for the club to have success down the track. The culture that the club developed over the years helped us attract players to the club, because no matter what was happening on the field people were enjoying there time at the club. Whilst it might look grim now it may be the best thing to happen to Brahma
I'm kind of a big deal, people know me
Magnum Force
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League