SAAFL Division 3 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 3 grand final?

Athelstone
8%
Kilburn
23%
Mitcham
10%
Modbury
12%
Old Ignatians
6%
Pembroke
3%
Plympton
12%
Salisbury
3%
Seaton
11%
Unley Mercedes Jets
12%

Total votes : 113

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:17 am

Excuse my ignorance, but everyone is carrying on about BL sucking it up and dealing with it.. i was under the impression that all BL were doing was activating the clause that allows them to elect not to go up a grade? No different to any of the div 7 sides that have done the same in recent seasons, or sides who have been fortunate enough to stay up as a result. The rule is there, they aren't doing anything wrong.. play on and welcome back Mitcham..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:42 am

Well things must be worse than I imagined at Brahma, they have pulled out of a trial game we had arranged, apparently, citing a lack of players - doesn't auger well for the season regardless of which division they are in.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby zedman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:45 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but everyone is carrying on about BL sucking it up and dealing with it.. i was under the impression that all BL were doing was activating the clause that allows them to elect not to go up a grade? No different to any of the div 7 sides that have done the same in recent seasons, or sides who have been fortunate enough to stay up as a result. The rule is there, they aren't doing anything wrong.. play on and welcome back Mitcham..

haven't they been C grade sides? little bit different i think PG..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:46 am

zedman wrote:haven't they been C grade sides? little bit different i think PG..

True.. but if they are as weak as they claim, then surely relegation would be on the cards for 2015 which would see them then down in div 5 and a long way back..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:59 am

Magnum Force wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:In fairness we are sitting here and comparing Brahma Lodge to Salisbury and Plympton. Brahma Lodge doesn't have the resources of these clubs and if you ask me as an outsider have achieved a heck of a lot more in a short time frame than I'm sure we all imagined.

Cop the medicine but for a drastic measure such as this there must be genuine concern for the clubs existence if playing in a higher grade after some heavy heavy losses...

A horrible position to be in....

I agree that for Brahma this is a terrible position to be in, But like almost every other club they have to take the good with the bad,

My first years at Plympton were spent being belted by 20 goals every week and i can tell you that we certainly did not have the resources we have now.

What developed from that was a core group of players that stuck together through the beltings and formed the platform for the club to have success down the track. The culture that the club developed over the years helped us attract players to the club, because no matter what was happening on the field people were enjoying there time at the club. Whilst it might look grim now it may be the best thing to happen to Brahma

As I mentioned above Brahma don't have the resources Plympton had and have. A club of Plymptons status should never had been playing div 5 and for as long as they did. Even when getting smacked you all knew within that you had a golden era of kids coming through and that you just had to hang in there because it will turn. Which it did. I know this because we were also in the same boat but once again as a club we ain't no Plympton and never will be.

Take off the rose coloured glasses these blokes are in serious strife.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but everyone is carrying on about BL sucking it up and dealing with it.. i was under the impression that all BL were doing was activating the clause that allows them to elect not to go up a grade? No different to any of the div 7 sides that have done the same in recent seasons, or sides who have been fortunate enough to stay up as a result. The rule is there, they aren't doing anything wrong.. play on and welcome back Mitcham..

=D>
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Magnum Force » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:25 am

The best part of all of this is Mitcham is about 45 minutes closer than Brahma!!!
I'm kind of a big deal, people know me
Magnum Force
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Groover » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:38 am

Magnum Force wrote:The best part of all of this is Mitcham is about 45 minutes closer than Brahma!!!

You would have been cursing had EP decided to return
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 385 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby laser » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:47 am

Is this official yet?
Only three left from last year sounds dire. If it happens, the travel factor suits us too. Bloody Mitcham.
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby X Runna » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 am

It has happened in the past where when clubs lose their core group, they suffer for several years and getting out of that losing culture is hard. In recent times PNU, Kilburn, Para Hills, Eastern Park, Ingle Farm are just a few clubs who have dropped very quickly through the grades till they found their true positions and were able to stabilise before climbing again.

With no juniors ready for another 4-5 years at least, unless BL spend a LOT of money and get their 15 points worth in absolute cream players, the road will be very long for them, and with so many clubs around the area, may come to a dead end. With less success on the field this year, one can't see the clubrooms being chock full on a Saturday night (nor after training for that matter), hence income probably down, yet with the same overall running costs.......that positive bank balance they now have may diminish rather quickly.

BL have made a club decision, but I think this is in the best interests of Division 3 as well. Belting BL by 30 goals proves no reflection on how good a team is, and can be very misleading. If there happened to be another weak side or two in D3, it would make it a VERY lopsided division. Furthermore, at D3 level, does the SAAFL want B grade sides forfeiting?

If BL were forced to stay in D3, their demise would be a lot harsher than going down to D4, purely by the size of and numbers of beltings. This gives the kids nothing to aspire to & the club would probably lose a heap. IMO It will probably take BL until D6 again to stabilise, therefore they will probably have a decent year or two just prior to the kids being ready. That's when they will strengthen up again.

This really is a kick in the guts to BL, losing so many players at once. Whilst I have no affinity with the club, having seen the disappearance down the grades by so many clubs, it shouldn't be made to happen. The right decision by BL & the SAAFL has been made, let's just hope BL can survive and we don't see another well established club folding. Kudos also to Mitcham for accepting the challenge of staying up.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Groover » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 am

laser wrote:Is this official yet?
Only three left from last year sounds dire. If it happens, the travel factor suits us too. Bloody Mitcham.

Nothing in concrete yet, but its only a matter of time.
Just for those who aren't fully aware, below is a list of our GF team, those highlighted in RED have not returned this year.

2.B. Aldridge
44 T. Aloisi
28 M. Bates
18 J. Clark-Rantasa
7 J. Clark-Rantasa
11 S. Cosenza
19 S. Craven
15 B. Gatto

14 D. Grgurovic
13 A. Harvey
29 A. Hennigs
3 D. Hickey
23 D. Huitema
8 M. Leigh
6 S. Mansell
37 B. Marshall
51 B. McMullen

32 L. Nelson
1 B. Paterson
45 T. Payne
10 D. Savage
* 17 D. Steele
Groover
League - Top 5

Postby mickey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:27 am

How many of them have left for greener pastures compared to retiring etc?
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:30 am

Groover wrote:

Just for those who aren't fully aware, below is a list of our GF team, those highlighted in RED have not returned this year.

2.B. Aldridge - retired?
44 T. Aloisi - Sedan
28 M. Bates
18 J. Clark-Rantasa - Gepps?
7 J. Clark-Rantasa -Gepps?
11 S. Cosenza
19 S. Craven
15 B. Gatto
- Eastern Park
14 D. Grgurovic
13 A. Harvey - Padthaway (or somewhere around there)
29 A. Hennigs
3 D. Hickey
23 D. Huitema - Eastern Park
8 M. Leigh
6 S. Mansell
37 B. Marshall
51 B. McMullen

32 L. Nelson
1 B. Paterson - who cares ;) KIDDING - Whyalla
45 T. Payne - Bute
10 D. Savage
* 17 D. Steele
- Sedan

Help fill in the gaps here...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Robran » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:34 am

Footy Chick wrote:
Groover wrote:

2.B. Aldridge - [color=#4080FF]retired?
44 T. Aloisi - Sedan
28 M. Bates- gepps
11 S. Cosenza- traveling first half of year
19 S. Craven- sedan
15 B. Gatto [/color] - Eastern Park
14 D. Grgurovic
29 A. Hennigs
3 D. Hickey- [color=#4080FF]sedan
8 M. Leigh- sedan
6 S. Mansell- prob Ep
37 B. Marshall- darwin ( work)
51 B. McMullen[/color]-Ep
32 L. Nelson
1 B. Paterson - who cares ;) KIDDING -[color=#4080FF] Whyalla
45 T. Payne - Bute
10 D. Savage- year off
* 17 D. Steele[/color] - Sedan

GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 am

why is the team that finished second to bottom be allowed to stay up wouldnt it have been better to offer salisbury west or Golden Grove the chance to go up as they were the next best teams in div 4
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby WOS Dragons » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:11 am

Footy Chick wrote:
Groover wrote:

2.B. Aldridge - retired?
44 T. Aloisi - Sedan
28 M. Bates
11 S. Cosenza
19 S. Craven
15 B. Gatto
- Eastern Park
14 D. Grgurovic
29 A. Hennigs
3 D. Hickey
8 M. Leigh
6 S. Mansell
37 B. Marshall
51 B. McMullen

32 L. Nelson
45 T. Payne - Bute
10 D. Savage
* 17 D. Steele
- Sedan

How many games did most of these guys play for BL? The club needs to look at who it is recruiting otherwise it will just happen again. If you offer $ to the wrong type of players they will innevitably leave for more $ elsewhere. I feel for more for the teams they played against last year - they battled against BL all year for the right to go up, BL won the right then didnt take up the option. That being said noone likes seeing a team lose by 30 goals every week either.
WOS Dragons
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby jo172 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:18 am

There's definitely a bit of a sense of live by the sword die by the sword regarding BL on my part.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:25 am

I heard the Clark brothers been talking to Para Hills... ??
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:35 am

Robb_Stark wrote:why is the team that finished second to bottom be allowed to stay up wouldnt it have been better to offer salisbury west or Golden Grove the chance to go up as they were the next best teams in div 4

They would have been next offered on the list if both of the D3 teams declined offers.

History says that Golden Grove or SW going up wouldn't have done their clubs any good.

Remember a little club called Kilburn that took one for Scotch and moved up to Div 2 when Towns spat the dummy? and look what happened to them.

Footy Chick

Postby Groover » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 am

WOS Dragons wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Groover wrote:[quote="laser"]Is this official yet?

2.B. Aldridge - retired?
44 T. Aloisi - Sedan
28 M. Bates
11 S. Cosenza
19 S. Craven
15 B. Gatto
- Eastern Park
14 D. Grgurovic
29 A. Hennigs
3 D. Hickey
8 M. Leigh
6 S. Mansell
37 B. Marshall
51 B. McMullen

32 L. Nelson
45 T. Payne - Bute
10 D. Savage
* 17 D. Steele
- Sedan

How many games did most of these guys play for BL? The club needs to look at who it is recruiting otherwise it will just happen again. If you offer $ to the wrong type of players they will innevitably leave for more $ elsewhere. I feel for more for the teams they played against last year - they battled against BL all year for the right to go up, BL won the right then didnt take up the option. That being said noone likes seeing a team lose by 30 goals every week either.[/quote]

Apart from a select few, the majority of these guys has played 40-80 games for the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Groover
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League