Crows Disgrace

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Crows Disgrace

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:44 pm

I bought my state guernsey in the 90s from a store and our previous major sponsor of this site used to sell them last decade.
Not sure where this myth started.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:I bought my state guernsey in the 90s from a store and our previous major sponsor of this site used to sell them last decade.
Not sure where this myth started.

Fair enough, just going on what I've heard. I redact that last bit then.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Stumps » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 pm

From Indaily today- very well written and a sentiment I agree with
Dear Port fans: you just don’t get it David Washington | 6 February 2014 Victorian and South Australian players before the 1988 state of origin match.
Comment |

Dear Port Adelaide fans: I’m terribly sorry you feel so “disappointed” about the Crows wearing a replica of the old South Australian state guernsey in one game this year.

Would you like me to pour you a cup of tea? Or maybe massage your shoulders?

Settle in, because I’m going to tell you a story.

Once upon a time, in an Adelaide far, far away, the city was divided into football tribes. Some of them were very old, like your mob, which joined the competition that came to be known as the SANFL in 1877. My mob Norwood, relative latecomers, joined the competition in 1878.

Some of the teams had extraordinary periods of dominance – Norwood in the first years of the comp and again in the 1920s; Port in the 1950s and the 1980s; Sturt ruled the late 1960s with a sublime run of five flags. Even West Adelaide had their time in the sun, during the first decade of the 20th century.

Some clubs enjoyed very little success. South Adelaide, one of the early powerhouses of the competition, captured its last premiership in 1964. Yet, you could argue that its long-suffering fans are the most loyal in the whole competition. To front up week after week in the face of such a drought of success? That’s passion.

Every year, the best players from the competition would be selected to play against some of the other states, wearing the state colours. The game that really counted was against Victoria. On rare occasions, we won, sparking wild celebrations.

In the early 1990s, your club was clearly the most successful in terms of Premierships won. But in a competition of such long history and passion, did this mean your club was of greater intrinsic value than any other? No. All of the teams had history, pride and passion worth preserving and celebrating. Well – that’s what most of us believed.

Your club’s custodians disagreed. They believed that Port was indeed greater than the whole, and decided to make a run for the big league – the infant AFL, which was, at the time, nothing more than a slightly expanded version of the VFL.

The rest of the SANFL clubs and fans were blindsided, so a hasty compromise was put together. The Adelaide Crows, wearing the state colours, would join the AFL – it would be “the team for all South Australians”. It was, at the time, a team put together with a few outsiders, but mostly star SANFL players – including from Port.

See what I”m getting at?

The SANFL competition was immediately affected. After decades of our best players streaming across the border chasing money and glory in the VFL, the presence of a local team laid further waste to the talent in the local competition. More than 100 years of history mattered little in the face of this new world of glitz and glamour.

A few years later, you joined the AFL – in doing so, you became the only existing club from a competition outside the VFL to be allowed in. It was a gift that no other SANFL fan will experience, at least in the foreseeable future.

I cannot even begin to imagine the joy of seeing Norwood players run on to the MCG in an AFL final – or even a home and away game.

Understand? No?

Back to the story.

The fabric of the SANFL competition was again stretched thin. After some early success, your SANFL club – the Magpies – started to fray and falter, which was bittersweet to those of us who remembered the fierce battles of the past.

The SANFL was altered forever. No matter how much we told ourselves that it was “real” footy, old-fashioned suburban footy, it became a shadow of its former great self.

The days of standing room only crowds at tiny suburban grounds were over.

We would never again see some of the country’s best players slip on our club’s jumper while in their prime.

Premierships, while moments of undoubted joy, had lost a few degrees of sweetness.

Can you comprehend any of the sense of loss that the rest of us might feel?

Can you understand that, while many of us support the Crows in the AFL, our SANFL history is still vitally important to us? That we feel it slipping away as the new generations of football supporters only have eyes for the AFL? That we can see a day coming when the proud history of a club like Norwood will only be remembered by sad old timers (that would be us), regaling young bucks with stories while they try to disguise a yawn?

Can you grasp – in any way – that the proud history of the SANFL is something we want to celebrate, that we have a right to celebrate, through the achievements of the Adelaide Football Club?

No-one watching the Crows step out on to Adelaide Oval wearing a replica state jumper will equate these modern day players with the representative champions of the past. No-one believes that they have “won” a position in a state side.

It’s a nod – and a slight one at that – to what little living heritage remains for the legions of fans who grew up supporting SANFL clubs other than Port Adelaide, and who have followed an AFL club that was started by the SANFL and, in its early years, attempted to represent us all.

The links are tenuous, yes, I agree – nothing like your ability to barrack for the same Port Adelaide that was formed back in 1870, a fact you celebrate on the back of your AFL jumper. That’s a feeling that the rest of us will likely never know.

So will you give us this one nod to our past? Will you put yourselves in our shoes for a moment?

No. I see you’re still disappointed.

You don’t know the meaning of the word.
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 pm

What a completely irrelevant piece of prose.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby the milky bar kid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Have the "team for all South Australian's" realized that they've offended a large percentage of the South Australians they pretend to represent?

A percentage that is not only PAFC supporters, but supporters of other club & indeed a large amount of it's own supporter base.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 pm

I really missed something when the whole Crow Mania took hold.

Maybe because being a kid living in a housing trust house in Elizabeth while the old man worked two jobs to take care of me and him that we didnt have the time nor money to follow the Crows.

I couldn't understand why someone would want to jump off a team they had so passionately supported for years to support a team of players that I had disliked as opposition players for years in a comp I only had a passing interest in. I never got it.

Throw in the fact you would only ever get to see your new side every second week and it made no sense to me.

Geez I was in the minority
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby GWW » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:01 pm

That "author" - and I use the term loosely" - failed to mention anything at all about all the non Port people, eg Kevin Sheedy, Leigh Matthews, as well as the non Port people on this forum, who can't believe the stupidity of this marketing gimmick.

So yes, that column is irrelevant, which pretty much sums up the Crows in the context of SA football history over the last 140 years.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm

So what he's saying is he's sad the SANFL has become less of a competition because of the AFL, and its all Port Adelaides fault (even though the Crows were the first SA team in the AFL), so we'll celebrate the SANFLs great history by letting an AFL team wear an SANFL State guernsey??

Makes no sense at all.
Last edited by HH3 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby scoob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm

They actually do think they represent SA, and have rights to wear that jumper. Astounding.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:08 pm

did the same author write this book under a different name???

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 pm

You'd think the Adelaide (SA) Crows people would start to realise that maybe they have made a mistake when its not just Port people who are annoyed with this. It's everyone that isnt an Adelaide Crows supporter. And even a fair chunk of them are pissed off too.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby OnSong » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:19 pm

They'll get over it.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby scoob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:26 pm

OnSong wrote:They'll get over it.

That's probably what Port said in 1990
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby areaman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:26 pm

GWW wrote:That "author" - and I use the term loosely" - failed to mention anything at all about all the non Port people, eg Kevin Sheedy, Leigh Matthews, as well as the non Port people on this forum, who can't believe the stupidity of this marketing gimmick.

So yes, that column is irrelevant, which pretty much sums up the Crows in the context of SA football history over the last 140 years.

At the risk of getting myself into a lot of trouble I'm not sure you can claim the Crows to be irrelevant.

If anything they are quite the opposite. The fact the football landscape in SA changed forever with their introduction makes them extremely relevant.

The fact that Port fans (and others) hate them so much shows they are relevant. Despising something doesn't make it irrelevant. Indifference equates to irrelevance. This thread proves people are not indifferent!
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Macca19 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:What a completely irrelevant piece of prose.

This. I dont think ive ever read such a pile of wank in my life.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby GWW » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:30 pm

areaman wrote:
GWW wrote:That "author" - and I use the term loosely" - failed to mention anything at all about all the non Port people, eg Kevin Sheedy, Leigh Matthews, as well as the non Port people on this forum, who can't believe the stupidity of this marketing gimmick.

At the risk of getting myself into a lot of trouble I'm not sure you can claim the Crows to be irrelevant.

If anything they are quite the opposite. The fact the football landscape in SA changed forever with their introduction makes them extremely relevant.

The fact that Port fans (and others) hate them so much shows they are relevant. Despising something doesn't make it irrelevant. Indifference equates to irrelevance. This thread proves people are not indifferent!

OK "irrelevant" is probably the wrong word - I used it in the context that they have existed for 23 years, whereas the SANFL has been around for over 100 years.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Macca19 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:What a completely irrelevant piece of prose.

This. I dont think ive ever read such a pile of wank in my life.

When you see "From InDaily", save your time, move on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Whose names are on the crows guernsey

Surely it's not got blokes like Kernahan, Bradley, platten on a crows guernsey
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Indaily today wrote:I cannot even begin to imagine the joy of seeing Norwood players run on to the MCG in an AFL final – or even a home and away game.

The cultural cringe again. Why is it better to be in the Victorian league than the SA league? Never understood this.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Browny25 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Crows are trying to make some money... Port should try it some time.
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL